What's new

How should I build this speaker box? (1 Viewer)

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
Ok, so I'm making two tower speaker boxes. In each box I plan on putting two tweeters, a 12" subwoofer, and 2 10" woofers. I'm already aware that they may stand 5 feet tall.

Does anyone have any input or advice for me? i.e placement of the speakers, certain dimensions, or how they should be wired?

I don't expect someone to answer all of these questions, but any input will be extremely appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No one can properly answer your questions without Theile/Small parameters of the drivers as well as their sensitivity and plotted frequency response. Once you get that then you can properly design your cabinet with a program like WinISD or Unibox and design your crossover with something like LSP Calc.

If this is your first attempt at DIY speakers then you should follow a proven design. If you want a large tower that really rocks then the D8 MTM may fit the bill - http://web.archive.org/web/20071207183643/http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MTM.htm . Then you can add a separate sub for the very low end of the audio spectrum. Having the sub in the same cabinet as the mains is not a good idea due to placement issues of the sub.

-Robert

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What a great looking DIY speaker project Robert. The prices look a little old, but stil a good deal.

Jonathan, speakers rarely have more than 1 tweeter, since it causes all sorts of sonic problems.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, the prices are a little old but it is still a great value. The Dayton Classic drivers are great. I'm currently using them in the DII and DIII speakers. I'll be using them in my new speakers as well. The D8 was built by a lot of the car audio guys because it is a very efficient speaker and plays rock like crazy.

Yes, speakers should only have 1 tweeter. High frequencies only need a single point of origin. With dual mids, you will notice that they are as close together as possible and usually above and below the tweeter. This is commonly called an MTM (mid/tweeter/mid) or D'Appolito (named after the inventer Joseph D'Apollito) configuration. The crossover frequencies are carefully chosen based on the distance between the mids.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks