How reliable are Klipsch speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_Mikhail, May 10, 2002.

1. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

After auditioning several brands for my center and mains, I came away the most impressed with Klipsch. I usually only use my system for HT and I thought Klipsch was perfect for that use.

My only concern is build quality. How many of you Klipsch owners have had a problem with your speakers.

Thanks.

2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

My Cornwalls are 20 years old (or older) and they have held up beautifuly.
    But those are Cornwalls. [​IMG]

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I have had my klipsc 4.1 for 2 years they are awesome.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I owned Klipsch for ~5yrs prior to my current system and never had any problems with them. Enjoy!

5. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

Thanks but I am checking out the post-Cold War line-up. [​IMG]
    The Reference series in particular.

6. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

I've had my Reference speakers for a year. Zero problems. Love 'em.

7. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

8. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

9. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I have hade my Reference Series system for 2 years and haven't had a problem with them at all. I think that they sound better now than the day I bought them! Go for it!!!! They are a really great value if you like the Klipsch sound![​IMG]

10. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Two+ years on my reference. No problem. Built solid and HEAVY. Makes them hard to move. I did have a problem with my KSW12 sub though, but was repaired fully under warranty.

Bill

11. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

I owned the RF3s and the RC3 for a little over a year, the only thing that seemed to happen to them was that I noticed they sounded better and better, I do believe in a break in period after that! But I wanted those darn RF7s and RC7 center and up graded and those are beefy rascals! I only hope they too will benefit from a break in period and sound even more full and great than they already are...[​IMG]
    I know there is a thread floating around about the RF7s and how they are structually, but I would have to wonder at the reason they were opened in the first place, Damage in shipment was the initial problem...so I don't put a lot of concern regarding that one specific incident, the speakers have a 5 year warranty, which should show up abnormalities within that time frame I would think?
    For HT either the RF3s or the RF7s work GREAT, my main reason for upgrading was for when I played music, but as I mentioned the RF3s started to sound pretty good with the music as well, and I started to get cold feet in my upgrade plans but once on that path it is hard to halt and I knew I'd regret NOT getting the RF7s, worth the money IMO
    Choose as you will, it always comes down to what you HEAR and like, good luck on your search, I'm glad mine is over...for now!
    G2

12. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Just be careful with the plastic feet that come with the speakers. They seem a little fragile but I haven't had a problem.

13. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I think the horn isn't crossed quite as low as they should. I here nothing but good things about the RF7's!

14. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

15. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I think that the general consensus is that the reference line is pretty good in terms of build quality but doesn't fare as well in comparison to the 'cold war' speakers. I don't want to speak for everyone but I think that many Klipsch owners believe that the 80's and early 90's was Klipsch's heyday in terms of build quality.
    My 1985 KG-4's are still going strong and are beautiful in oiled oak. My 1991 KG-3's are just as good in clear oak finish. Can you tell that I really like the wood finishes vs. the black MDF? [​IMG] I think that my KV-3 is from 1994 and is still very good in terms of quality. I have 2000 RS-3's for surrounds and they're solid.
    Looking at the build quality of the RS-3's next to the KG-4's you can tell that more time and effort went into the 80's stuff. But again, this is all relative. The Ref line is pretty solid, just not 'cold war' solid.

16. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Jim----I'd say ther best Klipsch quality was the early 1950s when they used Stephens, EV and even WE drivers and a wooden radial horn.

17. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Jim----I'd say ther best Klipsch quality was the early 1950s when they used Stephens, EV and even WE drivers and a wooden radial horn.