What's new

How "realistic" is finding your "Holy Grail?" (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Wacko- the American kids' show (oops, no 'h') was syndicated in 1977: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacko_(TV_series) On the other hand, Hot Fudge had a longer run: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Fudge

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by ahollis

One other Holy Grail would be Filthy Rich. Great sitcom that could not find an audience. The first pairing of Delta Burke and Dixie Carter.

Another vote for Filthy Rich to be released on DVD. Don't like many sitcoms, but this one I like the sound of (a send-up of the prime-time 80's soaps). And Jerry Hardin was the cast (Deep Throat on The X Files).

After the first three episodes were shown in August 1983, when Filthy Rich returned in October of the same year, it's competition (in the Wednesday 9.30 pm - 10 pm timeslot) was....

ABC - The Fall Guy (second half hour)

NBC - Family Ties.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

Another vote for Filthy Rich to be released on DVD. Don't like many sitcoms, but this one I like the sound of (a send-up of the prime-time 80's soaps). And Jerry Hardin was the cast (Deep Throat on The X Files).

After the first three episodes were shown in August 1983, when Filthy Rich returned in October of the same year, it's competition (in the Wednesday 9.30 pm - 10 pm timeslot) was....

ABC - The Fall Guy (second half hour)

NBC - Family Ties.

After I reviewed season 5 of Designing Women and discussing its fate after two stars left, as well as Women of the House, I'm surprised no one brought this up. I'd certainly like to see it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well anything is possible. I never thought I would see one of my holy grails-Logan's Run, but WB made my dreams come true on that. Pre-ordered and ready to rock. I have a few more though: -Grizzly Adams-Sure this will be released at some point. -St. Elsewhere complete series-this was rumored a long time ago, and never happened. Still crossing my fingers, and hoping it will be the next Time/Life release. -Batman-(1966) What the hell studios, grow up and act like adults. You will both profit. Probably won't happen though. -Happy Days, Lavern and Shirley remaining seasons-Given more time I think we will see these.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
WaveCrest said:
Another vote for Filthy Rich to be released on DVD. Don't like many sitcoms, but this one I like the sound of (a send-up of the prime-time 80's soaps). And Jerry Hardin was the cast (Deep Throat on The X Files). After the first three episodes were shown in August 1983, when Filthy Rich returned in October of the same year, it's competition (in the Wednesday 9.30 pm - 10 pm timeslot) was.... ABC - The Fall Guy (second half hour) NBC - Family Ties.
Pretty funny show. I wouldn't mind seeing a release so I could pick up the one or two episodes I'm missing.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Correction to my previous post: And Jerry Hardin was in the cast (Deep Throat on The X Files).

Haven't got many comedy shows (including sitcoms) on DVD. Then Car 54, Where Are You?'s first season was released last year. Considering getting at least the first season of Mr. Ed, and definitely getting My Living Doll: Volume 1 when it's released in a couple of months.

Didn't think Simon & Simon was going to continue on Region 1 from Shout, so the sixth season being released next month is very welcome.

My "holy grail" is Roots in its original 8-part configuration with the original ABC title card and original credits. I've been trying to get WB to look into this sincd 1993! Someone had the original show on 16mm on ebay, but I didn't win it.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
eric scott richard said:
My "holy grail" is Roots in its original 8-part configuration with the original ABC title card and original credits. I've been trying to get WB to look into this sincd 1993! Someone had the original show on 16mm on ebay, but I didn't win it.
It would be great to see the original mini-series as aired! Maybe someday a bluray or updated set would put all the promos and bumpers in, and show it the same way it first aired.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Many of my "holy grail" shows have been released, i'm pleased to say. However, I wish that some studio would release all the series that have been hanging in limbo with only Season one or Season Two released. Complete what you start, I say. Why they can't release even obscure things via some sort of download or Warner Archive method is beyond me.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Bear in mind we just had our first "Surprise Release" of the year, mainly the Third Season of Night Gallery. :banana: I'm pretty certain there will be other releases later this year of Shows we thought had little, if any chance of getting released. There are times it pays to be patient! :D

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Wasn't expecting Simon & Simon to continue at all on Region 1. It looked dead in the water, until the very surprising announcement recently. Am not going to get over-excited about the prospect of the seventh season being released before the end of this year, what with the 19 month gap between the fifth and sixth seasons being released via the Shout! Select program.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
While I don't exactly consider it a "holy grail" show, our friends at TVShowsonDVD.com announced today that Bob, the '92 sitcom with Bob Newhart as creator of the comic book "Mad Dog" is coming to DVD! The entire series! Maybe Fox will take notice and finally release the rest of The Bob Newhart Show and more of Newhart. I'm pretty pumped as this is one I *never* thought would receive a DVD release! :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That is very good news. Marvel published a few issues of a comic based on the one on the show. I have them. Wa this show o ly one season?

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Charles Ellis said:
Wacko- the American kids' show (oops, no 'h') was syndicated in 1977: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacko_(TV_series)
It wasn't syndicated, it aired on CBS as part of their Saturday morning line up. The cast and sets were also used for CBS's prime time Saturday morning preview special that year, Wacko Saturday Preview. I actually talked to someone who worked on the show about 10 years ago and they offered to loan me some episodes they had in their personal collection. Unfortunately, the tapes got lost in the mail. Those Saturday morning previews are some of my holy grails. I know a few of the 70s ones have surfaced recently, but I really doubt they will ever get any sort of official release because of rights issues.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Almost everything left on my "Holy Grail" list would be 50's and 60's shows, and with the exception of Timeless and a smattering of releases from smaller labels, right now I feel like I'm seeing a slow but steady transition in the Classic TV on DVD release department that is moving away from the B&W era and more into the 70's and beyond era. Most of the news coming out of Shout now is 70's and up stuff, and that seems to be the case with the little I am seeing from CBS and Warners. There are still a few things coming that interest me, but I do feel like I'm seeing the the slow demise of releases from the era I'm most interested in. Oh well, it was a good run while it lasted.

Gary "I've got plenty on my shelves - enough to last me a lifetime for sure" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
TonyD said:
That is very good news. Marvel published a few issues of a comic based on the one on the show. I have them. Wa this show o ly one season?
I have the comics as well although it took some doing to get the last issue (#6) as it wasn't widely distributed. The series lasted 1 1/2 seasons with 25 episodes in S1 and 8 in S2. Season 2 was a full re-tooling of the series. Bob no longer wrote Mad-Dog as the company had been sold and the new owner hated comics and everyone was fired. In Season 2 he was a greeting card writer at a company run by the wife (Betty White) of his former boss.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I've been thinking lately how much I would love to see a late 60's series called THAT'S LIFE, which starred E.J. Peaker and Robert Morse. It was an hour long sitcom, drama and musical, a combination for television unlike anything before or since. I managed to see the first episode at the MT&R, but the rest are left to my ever fading kid memories. I don't know who owns it, but it stands no realistic chance of ever coming out. I don't think it ever aired again after it's initial run so I doubt even collectors have many samples. It's truly a lost artifact of a very interesting and innovative television experiment.
For now, a probably inadequate substitute:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/classichollywood/la-et-st-robert-morse-thats-life-20151214-story.html

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
My grail would be Fernwood 2-Nite / America 2-Nite. The latter would be more problematic with all the celebrity guests, and the occasional musical number (like Tom Waits), but it would be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks