What's new

How "realistic" is finding your "Holy Grail?" (2 Viewers)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
About Hank, the interesting thing about it is that, unlike most short-lived shows, NBC allowed them to do a series finale that resolved everything about. It's also pretty shocking to hear that Dick Kallman and his partner (Kallman was gay) were murdered in a senseless robbery. But thankfully, it was solved, and the murderers were caught.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
vnisanian2001 said:
About Hank, the interesting thing about it is that, unlike most short-lived shows, NBC allowed them to do a series finale that resolved everything about. It's also pretty shocking to hear that Dick Kallman and his partner (Kallman was gay) were murdered in a senseless robbery. But thankfully, it was solved, and the murderers were caught.
I'm thinking that might be the very first series that actually had a show that wrapped up its particular premise. If any other show did one earlier, I'd love to hear about it but I can't think of one.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
I call them "Homemade DVDs" :D
Whatever. But they are most certainly not public domain. More under the category of "copyright holders don't really give a hoot".

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
I would say the ABC Movie of the Week Anthology Series, which consisted of made for TV movie that ran from 1969-1975. You can go to Wikipedia for the whole list of titles that you would want to see. Some have been released with their respective series that made it such as Six Million Dollar Man. Here is a small sampling: Daughter of the Mind (1969) Gidget Grows Up (1969) Honeymoon with a Stranger (1969) In Name Only (1969) A Matter of Humanities (1969) (Pilot for Marcus Welby, M.D.) Arsenic and Old Lace (1969) Seven in Darkness (1969) (First ABC-TV "Movie of the Week" to be broadcast) The Over-the-Hill Gang (1969) The Ballad of Andy Crocker (1969) The Immortal (1969) The Monk (1969) The Young Lawyers (1969) Three's a Crowd (1969) Wake Me When the War Is Over (1969) Along Came a Spider (1970) Carter's Army (1970) Crowhaven Farm (1970) Dial Hot Line (1970) Death Car on the Highway (1973) How Awful About Allan (1970) Mister Jerico (1970) Night Slaves (1970) Quarantined (1970) Run, Simon, Run (1970) The Challenge (1970) The House That Would Not Die (1970) The Love War (1970) The Man Who Wanted to Live Forever (1970) The Old Man Who Cried Wolf (1970) The Over-the-Hill Gang Rides Again (1970) The Young Country (1970) Tribes (1970) Weekend of Terror (1970) Wild Women (1970) A Little Game (1971) A Taste of Evil (1971) Alias Smith and Jones (1971) Assault on the Wayne (1971) Black Noon (1971) Brian's Song (1971) Earth II (1971)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
I'm thinking that might be the very first series that actually had a show that wrapped up its particular premise. If any other show did one earlier, I'd love to hear about it but I can't think of one.
Actually, Loretta Young's 1962-63 sitcom (which is available on DVD in its entireity- I own it!) actually wrapped up its storyline its final episode. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Loretta_Young_Show

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
With the exception of Way Out, I've found everything that I want thus far. In a few cases, I have had to purchase copies that are less than stellar, but I don't mind as long as I can view the shows. :)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Neil Brock said:
Route 66, was another, wrapping up in 1964, although not as early as the aforementioned Loretta Young sitcom in 62-63.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Ockeghem said:
With the exception of Way Out, I've found everything that I want thus far. In a few cases, I have had to purchase copies that are less than stellar, but I don't mind as long as I can view the shows. :)
Ditto here, I've been able to find most of the series I've wanted to have on DVD in one form or another. In this kind of Hobby nobody ever gets 100% of what they want, but if you are in the high 90s you are doing pretty darn good! :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
Ditto here, I've been able to find most of the series I've wanted to have on DVD in one form or another. In this kind of Hobby nobody ever gets 100% of what they want, but if you are in the high 90s you are doing pretty darn good! :D
2lw3fwk.jpg
I have almost all of what's been on my collector's lists.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
2012 is shaping up to be a great year. Since I posted back in October, four of my "grail" shows have had releases announced (Mannix, Simon and Simon, Father Dowling Mysteries, Diagnosis Murder), when I didn't realistically expect to see any of them again. Now if CBS would only continue Cannon and Barnaby Jones my year would be perfect.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I might want to add since I have most of what I want I'll be spending most of 2012 obtaining DVDs of what I consider the Forerunner of today's TV Shows, namely Movie Serials. :) Two of these are already sitting under my tree, and two more are on the way. When I open my "Cash Cards" the money from them will purchase another "Wave" of Movie Serials, and possibly Star Trek -The Original Series (I already have the other four!) :D

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
The beauty of the hobby is always finding new things to seek out. I've been in it for over 30 years and I'm still discovering shows that I like which I either never gave a thought to at the time or that just kind of fell through the cracks. How boring it would be if you could get everything you wanted. Reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode about the guy who dies and when he wakes up, he wins every gamble, scores every lady, has nothing not go his way. Finally at the end, he says, "if this is heaven, please send me to the other place." At which point he is told, this is the other place. To have been collecting this long and to still be able to discover new old shows to search out copies of, that's the good part and if I did get everything I wanted, that would ruin it for me. I kinda feel badly for people who just got into the hobby with the DVD era, which only has been around for a short while. Puts you at the mercy of the studios and the opportunistic bootleggers, none of whom are the real collectors who actually have good quality recordings.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I've been lucky with most of my holy grails. Lots of cartoons for from childhood have gotten out and most of the classic TV I used to watch on Nick at Night is out too.

If we're talking longest of long shots, of course, Batman and Muppet Babies would be near the top, but the rights hell those two dwell in make most mortals weep.

Realistically, Shout! is doing an amazing job of getting episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 out, which I just adore.

The only other "I really really REALLY want this on DVD" out there is one I am surprised has not come up yet: the Disney anthology series, from Disneyland to The Wonderful World of Disney. A FEW episodes have slipped out over the years and in some cases, the original episode bumpers and previews have been included with respective movies. But between stuff like Texas John Slaughter, a complete Swamp Fox and so forth are still lacking. What I wouldn't give for Disney to open their vaults and let those things out, to say nothing of the myriad of Progress Reports on the construction of Disneyland and a complete (commercials included) release of Opening Day of the park.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
MattPeriolat said:
The only other "I really really REALLY want this on DVD" out there is one I am surprised has not come up yet: the Disney anthology series, from Disneyland to The Wonderful World of Disney. A FEW episodes have slipped out over the years and in some cases, the original episode bumpers and previews have been included with respective movies. But between stuff like Texas John Slaughter, a complete Swamp Fox and so forth are still lacking. What I wouldn't give for Disney to open their vaults and let those things out, to say nothing of the myriad of Progress Reports on the construction of Disneyland and a complete (commercials included) release of Opening Day of the park.
I Second you on this one! I have managed to find a handfull of these on "Alternate" DVDs but that's just the tip of the Iceberg! C'mon Disney, release them or let someone like Shout!, Timeless or Time-Life take a shot at these classics. :rolleyes:

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I agree with Neil. I might have intially found this forum and started on this adventure because I was in search of a handful of shows that are extra special to me. But along the way I discovered so many more shows that it has changed my whole perspective. Yes, there are still a few I wouldn't mind seeing released, but for each one I had hopes to find in the beginning, there have been dozens of new shows discovered. Definitely a win-win scenario. As for starting late, that's okay with me. While I might have missed out on the evolution of the TV show collection process and some of the community perspective, I'm happy with the technological advances. Having collected multiple seasons across 200+ released TV shows, captured various others myself, and enjoyed the community of this forum in just a few years has been a gold mine for me.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Just the other day I was thinking of a syndicated kids' show I watched back in the late 70s called Hot Fudge, and another called Whacko. I wonder if the tapes still exist- does anyone else remember these shows?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Charles Ellis said:
Just the other day I was thinking of a syndicated kids' show I watched back in the late 70s called Hot Fudge, and another called Whacko. I wonder if the tapes still exist- does anyone else remember these shows?
HOT FUDGE was syndicated by LBS I beleive.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
What Whacko series are you referring to? I one I know was a BBC Telerecording with Jimmy Edwards. The film version was Bottoms Up(not on DVD) and considering the actor was gay it was an apt title. Leslie Howard's brother was also in that series. There was a 1934 & a 2009 film called Bottoms also. Whacko refers to the British school headmaster/principal making a naughty boy bend over for six of the best from a came across his butt. This series was shown on Australian government TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks