How real is the P&S threat?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Shanks, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    I would like to know what the studio's stance on this is. Ron said that the studios are receiving pressure from retailers to stick to P&S. Why would the studios do that when there is obviously a large portion of the market that prefers the widescreen product. Look at Amazon's sales figure of films that were released in both formats (The Mummy Returns, The Silence of the Lambs). The widescreen version has sold better each time. Why would they stop producing widescreen product when it sells as well as or better than P&S. I just can't see this happening. Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part.

2. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Worst case scenerio is that we see a lot of dual releases and more releases with both versions. Widescreen isn't going anywhere...I think the Mummy Returns sales proved that.
    ------------------
    "This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
    My Extensive DVD collection.

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I am an optimist as well. Remember, the war in Europe is over and widescreen has won. If the studios don't want massive imports from R2, they are going to have to continue supporting OAR/widescreen.
    Ted

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think is very real. If the B&M stores only carry P&S, then the only place you are going to be able to get a WS is over the net (if it is available at all). That is why Amazon's figures are like that. You'd have to get the total sales figures from the studio for each version to get a realistic amount, but my guess is that the P&S is about 1000 times more popular than the WS.
    Glenn

5. wally

wally Second Unit

Glen O>my guess is that the P&S is about 1000 times more popular than the WS.
    What do you suppose those figures are when you take into account the purchases by Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc.? When you look at people purchasing for private collections I would doubt that. WS might even outsell P&S.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    People are overreacting about P&S.
    I was able to buy Lawrence of Arabia on DVD at a WAL-MART.
    A generic-name movie store at an outlet mall only had WS DVD's of Jurassic Park for sale. They carried mostly "J6P" type stuff.
    Name one recent DVD that is P&S only. WB has WS and FF versions of Willy Wonka, Cats & Dogs, Neverending Story I and II, and the 2 Shiloh movies.
    Come on...P&S is going to die soon thanks to widescreen TV. What needs to be circulated is that P&S DVD's (of course, excluding Academy Ratio films that are SUPPOSED to be seen at 4:3) are not the newest technology. If WS is promoted as the latest technology and as something hip and cool, it'll thrive.