How quiet is your RP91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanG, Jul 24, 2001.

1. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

When indexing to the Top Menu on a DVD or indexing to the THX logo and back to the start of the movie or any large track jumps, how quiet is your laser head movement?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I don't know about that, but I do hear a click (sounds liek a relay) just before a CD plays. And, as the CD gets near the end of the disc, the tick-tick-tick sound increases in volume.
    My Pioneer Elite DV-37 is fairly loud to, especially when playing trailers and movie logo segments.
    I suspect these noises are dependent on where the information is physically stored on the disc.
    The DV-37 is louder, like an airplane (quietly) taking off. The RP91 makes ticking sounds during playback...aproximately one tick sound every one-third of a second.
    I'm resigning myself to the fact that there will never be a truly quiet DVD player that a) doesn't suck, or b) at a reasonable price.

3. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

4. Scott Gaffney

I notice the same thing. A slight cliking noise when going to the menus, but, silent during normal movie mode. No real big deal to me, as it is MUCH quieter (and faster!) than my old Mitsubishi.
    sdg
    ------------------

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

6. Doug Dickeson

My RP91 is sitting on its own shelf in my custom cabinet. When it's accessing the top menu, I can definitely hear a low frequency rumble coming from the cabinet. At first I thought it was my sub [​IMG]

7. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

Mine is the same way. I actually asked this same question about a month ago. The drive is perfectly quiet during the movie though.
    Andy

8. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

9. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

Thank you, gentleman all. Another concern alleviated.
    I swear the Internet was created so mankind could avail itself of the HTF forum [​IMG]
    ------------------

10. William Anthony

How close are you sitting to this player? I have yet to hear my S7000 do anything, outside of the draw opening and closing. When it is accessing anything on the disc, it is silent. I have to physically put my ear to it to hear any sounds.
    ------------------

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

My 91 is much more silent than my A310, PS2, and DV-05 DVD players. I don't ever really notice it during playback of movies or music... then again, I like my audio LOUD!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc

12. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

It seems a bit quieter than other players I've used.
    I'm more concerned with the cheesy build quality and the flimsy DVD loading tray.
    But the video quality is excellent. [​IMG]

13. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

14. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

15. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

I think there's a DVD Audio glitch that could be handled better in the next generation RP 91's.
    That is; When listening to DVDA's-every time it advances to the next musical tract you can hear the laser mechanism physically searching for the tract.
    Instead of seamlessly and silently continuing to the next song-the 91 hesitates,and audibly searches for the next tract.
    I assume it's because there are Video and Audio issues it has to recalibrate for-But this could be done better,and quieter on next generation units.
    It's a small issue,and one that doesn't bother me at all.
    It's just a quirk of a new format,and a wonderful machine!
    Regards
    Chris
    ------------------

16. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I muted a movie today and I heard drive noise while the movie was playing. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Andy

17. Carlo Medina

Yikes, I previously posted that my RP91 was relatively quiet. But lately I've been hearing the aforementioned clicking sound when skipping chapters. Kinda sounds like my receiver when it first picks up a DD or DTS signal, as if it's locking into a signal. So I'm wondering if every time it skips chapters it unlocks and then lock back into the audio signal with its internal DACs? Which would be weird since I have it hooked up via coaxial to the receiver and am not using the internal DACs.
    And the weirdest thing is that it doesn't happen on every disc. Only some.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

18. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yeah, I notice that behavior too, Carlo. I have my analog 5.1 outputs enabled...maybe it's that, as you say.
    I occasionally use the 5.1 analog outputs when I'm screening a movie with very awkward layer changes...for some reason, the RP91 cuts the digital out, and I lose sound for 1 second after the layer changes. My Yammie DSP-A1 can't hold the digital audio link, which is really really annoying. Same goes when I skip chapters...I lose about a second of sound every time I skip. This all goes away when I use the analog outs.
    One good thing about the Toshiba 5109: It keeps the digital output open at all times, when skipping chapters or changing layers (the rest of that player sucks in comparison though! [​IMG] ).

19. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

quote: I occasionally use the 5.1 analog outputs when I'm screening a movie with very awkward layer changes...for some reason, the RP91 cuts the digital out, and I lose sound for 1 second after the layer changes. My Yammie DSP-A1 can't hold the digital audio link, which is really really annoying. Same goes when I skip chapters...I lose about a second of sound every time I skip.[/quote]
    In the action menu, set "Audio During Search" to off. I believe that will solve this particular problem.
    ------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
    Carlo, I think you should try this too.
    [Edited last by Wayne_T on July 29, 2001 at 12:26 PM]

20. Carlo Medina

I've already set audio during search to off (never liked the feature). Still clicks. Weird.
    I don't lose the second of audio like Max. My Sony STR-DA555ES used to drop audio signals all the time from my Sony DVP-S560D player. But for some reason, it may drop the RP91 audio but it picks it right up again quickly (both players I used coax connection).
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com