What's new

How quickly do X-Box game prices drop? (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering how quickly prices go down for X-Box games?I noticed Halo 2 for $36 a few weeks after Christmas when I had already gotten it for $50, but other games haven't changed at all.

I'm really interested in that Godzilla game that looks mega cool, but I don't want to pay $40 for it either. Will I ever see a 19.99 price for it, or better yet, a Morrowind-esque $10-15 price?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
All games price drop. Microsoft produced games are the worst though (Sega is a close second), if you can wait a month or two, you'll get the game at a deep discount, typically the list price will drop down to $30, then a couple months later down to $20. The first Halo was the only exception that I can think of, it stayed at $50 for a long time. Halo 2 hasn't officially dropped in price though, but clearly some incentives were given to the stores to clear some excess inventory.

Regarding Godzilla, I don't know. Titles like that will have one price drop, just to clear out existing inventory, and are never available again, so you have to act quick.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Let me guess: Godzilla: Save The Earth? The imminence of a price drop is contingent on how well (or how poorly) a given title is selling. I'm not sure how the previous Godzilla title fared sales-wise, but I won't be surprised if it dropped by $10 in the next month or two.

There are a couple of auctions right now on eBay; going price is ~$20-23. I would also keep tabs on retailers such as EB and Gamestop*, as both tend to discount titles earlier and more often than chains such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and Toys R Us (vice versa has been true on a few occasions though).

*Gamestop has it on sale for $19.99 new / $17.99 pre-owned (link)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
It seems that prices are dropping more quickly as the Xbox nears the end of its life cycle. But it's always going to be a function of popularity. Hell, Halo was maintaining close to its launch price into 2004.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Used is the way to go for cheap stuff. I've noticed that blockbuster does a buy one get one 1/2 price deal every so often that really helps you stock up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks