Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I thi...I.........nope..I ain't touching that with a ten foot poll! :wink:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well Mike...okay...put it this way, if I was you I would go to Netflix and start renting B&W films before or after the 1950's.
Try The Third Man or Psycho or Dr.Strangelove.
Surround sound isn't everything in a film. Just my opinion.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
the third man, and dr. strangelove would be good ones for me to check out? I'm not close minded to older movies, I guess I just haven't found any that I really like yet. I am a fan of strange and odd movies so any other suggestions would be cool.
I have seen Psycho but its been a loooog time.
Mike

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Mike, start up another thread in the Movies section asking the Forum for suggestions on older (B&W or not) films you might like to rent.
This is pretty much off topic so I (and maybe quite a few others) will make suggestions in that new thread.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I'm more partial to DTS I'm not sure why though. I can sit there and A/B a movie between DTS and DD. In most cases the DTS wins. But a week later I could sit down and watch a movie in DD and say this sounds great. Overall, unless I'm demoing my HT or if I want to sit down and A/B the audio tracks. I really dont think it matters too much to me anymore. DD has seemed to progress a lot on DVDs since DTS just started showing up on discs. Hmm, same with DTS titles...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Sure, titles like Amadeus, Superman, Titanic, and The Abyss would greatly benifit from DTS, but would you pass on a movie such as Citizen Kane because it has no DTS track?
I'm nothing even close to expert on these matters, but given my understanding, there is no reason whatsoever for any non discrete multichannel soundtrack to be either Dolby Digital or DTS.

For mono and two-channel stereo soundtracks, it's my understanding and experience that LPCM is, by far, the preferred format.

So, my response is that Citizen Kane should have been given an LPCM mono soundtrack, which would sound far superior to either a DD-mono or DTS-mono track.

So consider me "pro-DTS" for discrete multichannel formats, and "pro-LPCM" for all other soundtracks (mono and two-channel stereo).

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Definitely, the PCM track on Do The Right Thing blows away the Dolby 2.0 one.
I'm for DTS, which generally sounds tighter with more defined surrounds. But it isn't a big difference and while I like to see it, it's not going to influence me one way or another on a purchase.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I listen to everything through the TV speakers. DTS makes no difference to me.... nor, I imagine, to 95% of the rest of the world. Someday perhaps I'll have enough money to care about such things. In the meantime, I've never felt the need to be "surrounded" by a movie. If the movie is good, I'll get immersed in it. If it sucks, no amount of audio trickery is going to make me like it more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks