What's new

How often to you go to the movies alone? (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Count me in with the 95% crowd. I think the analogy with book reading is spot on. A good movie can be such an engrossing experience, and is often ruined by having someone else there. More often than not I get distracted because I worry that they're missing the film when they take a restroom break in the middle, or start talking and asking questions (never stopping to see if the film intentionally set up those questions to be answered later). For the most part, the best part of having friends with me is the reaction to really good scenes, which is satisfied quite well with any good audience. As a comparison, my first showing of LotR was made all the better (and it was amazingly good) by the audience reacting reverentially. My fourth viewing with some friends was much worse because they weren't nearly as into it.
My habits are also pretty variable, as I sometimes head out for a movie at 10 at night on a whim. Having to motivate people to get to the theater early so that you can get good seats is really difficult.
I have to wonder if I will ever adjust to going with people. It just seems to be no better than going alone while in the theater, and only really beneficial to talk about it afterward. Of course, you may easily find that discussion in the Movies forum is far more satisfying than what local talent can provide. I hope to be proved wrong with my next prospect :)
Besides, how cool is it to show 5 minutes before a sold out show and find a great seat, all the while shaking your head at the couples vainly looking for free adjacent seats.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'd say about 2/3 of the time.

5 or 6 years ago, I wouldn't be caught dead in a movie by myself. Then after going a couple of times by myself as my schedule became increasingly incompatable, I realized that, basically, a movie is a personal, "alone" experience anyway.

However, I'm luckier than a lot of movie addicts I suppose, in that I have a few friends who like to go to the movies almost (although not quite) as much as I do and are good to go to movies with; they don't always want to see pedestrian movies, and are generally attentive.

I have a couple of friends (we all do) with whom you couldn't get me to a movie if you paid me. They're either chatty, have no attention span, invariably arrive late, or whatever. I have no time for that. That is one aspect of our friendship on which we'll never truly bond.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
exactly what Janna said;

""I go by myself almost all the time. I usually turn down invitations to go with friends. I hate having to wait for people, coordinate who will drive or where we will meet one

another, compromise on what we will see or where in the theater we will sit. I just prefer to go alone. After I have seen a movie once or twice, I will see it with friends.

(The truth is that I am like this about most everything in my life. I'm single for a reason - I can't imagine having

to compromise enough to make a marriage work!) ""

I also work nights.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks