What's new

How often to you go to the movies alone? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the movie, really. If it's a film that I think is going to be fun and nothing mentally taxing (like Tomb Raider) I will try to organize a night out with friends. If, however, it's a film that looks intense or "personal" (A.I.), I will go by myself. I can't seem to really get into a movie with friends around.
Bruce

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have only seen one movie by myself. My wife would not go with me to see Pulp Fiction the second time around. I HAD to see it again!

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Probobly 80%

However, my problem is that my wife -hates- going to the theater. and my friends are those "have to make a comment on every little scene throughout the entire movie" types of people.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I see movies on an average of once a week, but I am by myself for about 95% of the time.

Brett B.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I totally agree with Janna!
Out of the 60 - 80 times I go to the movie theatre annually, I'd say 90% of the time is by myself. I find film-watching a better, more focused activity when alone, even at home. I consider myself a SERIOUS film-watcher, and don't appreciate distractions. My worst experience was going with a guy who kept talking back to the screen -- he thought he was hilarious. :angry:

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I've never been unaccompanied. C'mon, you gotta share the moment with someone...someone you gab to about who directed this and who wrote the music for that. And in the end, someone to share a reaction to the movie with.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Maybe 30% of the time, for the films my wife isn't interested in. But her tastes are pretty eclectic.

M.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I average about two trips to the movies per year and I just do that when I'm with someone else. I don't think I've been to the movies alone in about 5 years.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I go about 95% of the time by myself. I enjoy going by myself that way I don't get disturbed by some of my friends. The other 5% would be with my brother, I usually give him a call 5mins before I leave. I like going with him because he is quite during the movie, but he is usually working when I go to the movies so I end up going solo.

I ended up going to Lord of the Rings yesterday by myself. Its the first time i've been in a fully packed cinema in years, I had people next to me and the kept squirming and it became very irratating. At least everyone was quite, the only other gripe at that showing was the guy in front had a damn big head and i had to move side to side when they were speaking Elvish. I really want to see this movie again but i'll wait a couple of weeks when everyone starts going back to work and there is only like 10 people in the entire theatre.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>I find film-watching a better, more focused activity when alone, even at home. I consider myself a SERIOUS film-watcher, and don't appreciate distractions.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Probably around 80-90% of the time I'm alone when I go see movies. It allows me more flexibility, and I don't have to compromise where to sit (I have no idea why anyone would want to sit on the left or right side seats, rather than in the middle section). And, the coordination of getting people to the theaters just isn't worth the hassle unless it's a must-see blockbuster. Also, it allows me to sneak into other showings if I want to see a double-feature or triple feature if I'm so inclined (if you have someone with you who isn't on the same wavelength, it cramps your style).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Whenever I go to the movies, I try to go alone.

I like the idea that nobody is going to bug me during the movie. Plus, I rather like the feeling that nobody knows where I am.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I hardly ever see a movie with someone. I like the freedom of doing whatever and whenever and not having to make elaborate plans and contingencies and compromises.

I'm single for a reason - I can't imagine having to compromise enough to make a marriage work!)

I know exactly the feeling!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Why should anyone feel funny about going to a commercial cinema by him or herself in the first place? Are we saying that it takes two individuals to make one person?

Sometimes it's fun to go with someone or to go in groups. Sometimes. But I sure as hell don't like a companion talking to me during a film--especially a film I'm devoted to.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I go by myself 75% of the time(just saw LOTR by myself). The other percentage I go with a good friend but he doesn't like to sit through the end credits; this really pissed me off when we saw SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE and Gwyneth just starts walking across the desert and he said "Ok, lets go!" :angry:

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I've only gone to the theater alone once, for A.I.. I almost always go with my mom and my younger brothers. The bad thing about this is that it limits the kind of films I can go see. If it ain't a big blockbuster, I probably won't get the chance to see it. That should change once I get a job and my own car...

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Why should anyone feel funny about going to a commercial cinema by him or herself in the first place? Are we saying that it takes two individuals to make one person?
I totally agree! I have friends (especially other women) who can't go by themselves. It's as if they're too embarassed to walk in alone or something! So if they can't find someone who wants to see the same film, they end up missing it! So silly!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks