How often does UBID have parasound amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry BB, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

I've been considering trying a Parasound 855a amp. I've seen that some of you have gotten great deals in the past on UBID but in the last 2 to 3 weeks I have not seen one Parasound amp posted. Does anyone know how often UBID has Parasounds for sale?

From another source I think that I can get a brand new factory sealed 855a for $400 shipped. It seems like a good price but I don't think that the warranty will be valid so I'd prefer buying on UBID since I've seen posts that say that UBID is authorized to sell Parasound. Is warranty something to consider or am I passing up too good a deal?

I will be using a Denon 2802 as a pre/pro driving Studio 20 fronts, Studio CC, and Atom rears. Will the 855a be an improvement over using the 2802?

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Barry,

You have to keep checking back. It's the same with any item or particular manufacturer. It goes in spells. Believe me, odds are they will restock and the forum will be buzzing again just as before.

BTW, I was one of the earlier 'lucky dogs' who snagged an 855A for $309 plus S/H, around $360 total. Got it paired to my H/K 510 and using 4 channels to passively bi-amp the fronts and the 5th for the center. I'm very happy.

I believe there was a post awhile back on your particular combination: 2802/855A. Do a quick search.

3. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Barry,

I have the 2802/855A combo, and let me tell you there was a very noticable improvement.

Here is my review after setting up the amp, copied from another thread.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Barry keep checking back, but as a general rule, Ubid gets a large influx from a particular manufacturer when the new model year is about to begin. Parasound is introducing the Halo series, and the HCA-885A is listed as discontinued now on their site, hence the large influx.
    I have gotten a couple of good deals off of Ubid for the HCA-855A and the Pioneer Elite 35TX I use as a pre/pro around the model change. The actual performance of the amp does provide some subtle enhancements, but nothing earth shattering over the Pioneer's internal amps for films. It really shines in music though, revealing more detail and nuances in the music that was not as prevalent as before. In all reality, you would probably be happy with keeping just the 2802 if your primary listening is movie soundtracks. My main reason for going this route is that I wanted to try seperates, and if new formats come out in the future, or I get the desire to upgrade, I do not want to throw away my amplification with the receiver.
    400 shipped for an HCA-855a is a great deal considering they may never show up on Ubid again. Of course I won my auction for 269 new plus shipping then got an extra 35 bucks back off my amp because there was no power cord in the box, but you will probably not be able to swing this deal.[​IMG]
    J

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Also Barry,

Consider whether the sealed 855A was originally sourced from Ubid. Most of these listings are. If it truly is SEALED and from Ubid (factory authorized), the unit has not been registered therefore all you need for the full warranty is a copy of the purchasers invoice. See if you can obtain this.

6. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses guys. I did not think of seeing if I can get a copy of the invoice for warranty purposes. Thanks Paul, I will look into that.

7. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

I was also one of the lucky ones who won a bid at Ubid for an 855. However, it was defective so I had to send it to Parasound in San Francisco for repair. Turns out there was an intermittent power supply. In my case the warranty was important since it was DOA.

I have it hooked up to my 2802. I agree with what people have already said about the improved sound. It just sounds cleaner, more detailed, and can play louder without sounding harsh or bad. The soundstage imaging is better and the surrounds are easier to hear.

8. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Just keep waiting...but the problem is when they finally do start selling more 855A there is going to so many HTF members bidding for it, that I hope the prices don't skyrocket.

I snagged a 1205A 2 weeks ago from UBID for $609 and I am looking to add 855A. So I'm looking also.