How often do you upgrade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ferran Mazzanti, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    6 months ago I purchased a nice Marantz SR6200 receiver.
    It has lots of nice features like Circle Surround and DTS and I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds.
    However, I've seen Marantz is going to release a new line of receivers soon. This, together with the tons of posts I read here about people upgrading their gear, makes me wander about upgrading... But then I believe I'm going nuts! I bought my last stereo amp some 10 years ago and it worked well, and now I think about upgrading in less than one year. I probablky won't do it, but in any case I'd like to know how long do you think one of these receivers can last at home...

2. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    This forum is the scourge of the the universe! Since I started frequenting it in the last few months I've upgraded my receiver, my rear surrounds and all my speaker wiring(110'+). Prior to that, it had been 5+ years before any upgrades! To say it's an expensive and additive hobby is like saying "rabbits like to breed"! I am weak and can't help myself! I am a lost cause! But it may not be too late for you, SAVE YOURSELF!

3. Julio

Julio Agent

I was having the same problem with computers I wanted to upgrade all of my components every other month but then I realize that I was spending too much money for the same performance until I decided to stop now I have been with the same computer without a upgrade now for 1 year

samething will go with my HT I'm not going to upgrade no time soon

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Some people upgrade constantly, some rarely. I lean a little towards the latter.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I kept my last receiver -- a Sony 50ES -- for about 3.5 years before finally upgrading. I decided I wanted a step up in quality, amplifier power and the newer sound formats. The 50ES supported Dolby Digital, DTS and Pro Logic, while my newer Pioneer Elite also supports Pro Logic II, as well as the so-called "6.1" formats -- DD EX, DTS ES and DTS ES Discrete.

I plan on keeping this receiver at least as long as the Sony.

Now, DVD players on the other hand... I am on my fourth player for my main system in four years. However, I am very satisfied with my current player (Panasonic RP-91), so hopefully this one will be in my system for a while longer than the others.

6. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

Ferran,
    18 months ago my answer to your question regarding how long a receiver would last would have been 5-10 years. Now my answer is 4-6 months in my home.
    Technics SA-DA10>Marantz SR7200>Outlaw 950>Marantz SR8200

The 8200 is upgradeable so I think will it be in my system for awhile.

Lee

7. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Too often, and in some cases found that
    upgrade actually ended up a downgrade. I had a great Marantz SR19 5.1 system went to 6.1 then 7.1 finally 8.1 and the only real upgrade I found was, IMO from 5.1 to 8.1. Now I have a home full of speakers, that looks more like a dealers showroom. Is that progress or what.

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I usually do a full scale upgrade once every 5 years. And I do it all at the same time. Usually end up spending in the neighborhood of about 5K in one shot. But then, unlike the rest of this forum, I'm very content for a long time in between and have minimal upgraditis.

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I will upgrade to the Paradigm reference line latter this year, since I will be travelling up there. I firmly believe that any improvement over that would be quite expensive, so I plan on keeping these for a couple of years.
    My Denon 4802 will be with me for at least that long also: I live in an apartment and that won't change for at least 5 years.
    And RPTV is scheduled for early 2003, in which case I would have to retire my venerable Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player (2 years and a half and still running [​IMG].
    By mid 2003, I should be set for the next 3-4 years. I really plan on sticking to this.
    --
    Holadem

10. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

I like John Pine's response.
    Receiver:
    Started about 6 months ago with a Pioneer 710S receiver. One week later... nope, not good enough, trade-in for the 810S. Two months later... nope, not good enough, got the Denon 3802.
    Speakers:
    Started about 6 months ago with the new Paradigm Monitor 7v2 and CC-370... nope, not good enough, trade-in for the Studio 60v2 and the Studio CCv2.
    Started about 4 months ago with the Paradigm PS-1000 subwoofer. Two weeks later... nope, not good enough, trade-in for the PW-2200.
    Source:
    Started about 6 months ago with the Pioneer DV-440 for CD playback. Three months later..., nope, not good enough, also bought a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD player.
    Don't even get me started on cables and speaker wire.
    Did I forget to mention that you guys are convincing me to use the pre-outs on the Denon for a separate 2-channel amplifier?
    This is an evil, evil hobby obsession.[​IMG]
    David

11. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    AMEN BROTHER!

12. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

David Berry,
    and were the incremental upgrades worth it? I would think so as you've choosen tried and try great value gear.

I'll upgrade about every 5 years, I'm currently in the middle of a severe upgrade (CDP, amplifiers, speakers) and trying to find the pieces.

13. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

For me, I've found that if I upgrade every other "generation" its about right. I'm still stuck at DPL 5.1. I could have had Dolby Digital a long time ago - but I skipped that one, and am going to DD-EX, DTS (I don't really count the "matrix" stuff a generation, it's more of an unexpected child). So it kinda works out. Two years ago, I was expecting my next upgrade at the THX level, but the prices never came down to my sub-$1000 budget.
    I kinda do that with my computer upgrades. Whenever I can buy a computer that is 4x faster I upgrade.
    That and I have a price cap of $1000 that I can sneek by the wife - if I do this too often for the same thing she'll catch on [​IMG]

14. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

i dont know, I have upgraded five times in the last three years, and each upgrade has basically been the replacement of at least 3 core items. I am going to stop upgrading for a while once this current one is over. As for when to upgrade, I have devised a simple little equation. It really is a broad an completely unsciendtific equation, but it might give you all an idea about when to upgrade
    Uprgrade Time = Take the hours per week that you use your setup (ie engaged in listening or viewing pleasure) and divide it by two. Take this new value and multiply it by the square root of the cost of your system. This final value will be the days before you do another upgrade. So for someone who uses their system 3 hours a day, or 21 hours a week, and their system cost them 5000 total;
    21 / 2 = 10.5
    10.5 x sqrt(5000)=742, or about two years before he or she should even be thinking about upgrading.

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I upgrade one or two pieces about every 6-9 months.

16. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

every chance I get [​IMG] .

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunetly I upgrade every time I really get into reading this board! I swear, it's a curse! I won't read the board for about 2 or 3 months becuase of work or somthing.. but as soon as I get back into reading, I'm thinking about buying something better... and there is ALWAYS somthing better!

I just went from an Onk 898 to a Denon 5300 (used) and now you guys got me thinking about seperates and upgrading my NHT speakers!!! DOH! The wife is going to skin me alive for sure!

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

How often do I upgrade, particularly receivers? More often than I would like! Back in December 1999, I bought a JVC RX-778V Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver for $250 at Costco. It was part of my first foray into home theater. About a month after buying it, I learned about this thing called "DTS". In February 2000, I sold the '778V to a friend and bought the next model up, the '888V, which had DTS, for $300 at Costco. I made my first receiver upgrade after two months, but the '888V had DTS! I thought I was set. I got the '888V set up and could get very little sound out of the speakers. Also, when I hit loud scenes in a movie, the receiver shut down and went into protector mode. I determined that there was something wrong with the center channel speaker binding posts. Even with new wire, the receiver wouldn't function right when the center speaker was connected. I never had the problem with the '778V. I tried a different '888V from Costco and had the same problem. So, I gave up on JVC and got a Sony STR-DB930.
    I thought I was set with the 'DB930. For one thing, it blew the JVC '778V out of the water. The 'DB930 had everything I needed -- so I thought. By the summer of 2000, I starting hearing about receivers coming along with analog bypass. That got me thinking seriously about another upgrade. Sure enough, I replaced the 'DB930 with a Sony 'V444ES in September 2000. The 'V444ES was decidedly better than the 'DB930, especially with music. I thought I had arrived. I mean, I had a Sony ES receiver with a five-year warranty! It had everything. I was on my fourth receiver in nine months (though one never worked), but I finally had the right receiver. Everything was grand, until...
    Fast forward to Memorial Day 2002. A lightning storm fried my 'V444ES. It is still in the shop, and I am not at all optimistic about it being repaired. So, I will likely upgrade again. This time, I am forced into it. It would still be my fifth receiver in 2.5 years. [​IMG]

19. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

My first adventures in HT began almost 3 years ago. I got hooked on DVD on my computer and I wanted to be able to experience it in it's full glory.
    First came the receiver, and tower speakers... then surround speakers, then the center channel, Then a stand-alone DVD player, then a new TV, and finally a sub.
    Now here I am, in the midst of upgrading receivers again, surround speakers again, and now I want the next model up in Center channels, and I'm drooling over new TVs and contemplating separate power amps. Once it finished it all started over again. $4,000 spent a few years ago then will be added to by another $2,500 just with current planned upgrades. But what about all the stuff I'm going to want that isn't needed or planned on? More money will be added to that spent pile pretty soon. It needs to stop for my wallet's sake.
    What I have now is all I need: DPL/Dolby5.1/DTS5.1 receiver. My desire to upgrade started with wanting true 24 bit DACs, but I've found other reasons too that justify changing receivers (Yamaha RX-V995 --> Denon AVR-4802). I owe that to waiting a little longer than I was going to. A good way to save yourself money in this habit... uh hobby... is to do the following:
    * Get yourself a great pair of speakers, and amps right off the bat, even if they cost a pretty penny. These are things that don't make great leaps, so if you go all out you've got equipment here that should last you decades. Intense research and listening tests needs to be conducted in order to find your perfect set. Spend a lot now so you wont end up spending even more in the long run on upgrades.
    * NEVER assume it's safe to buy something that is lacking just one thing you wanted but you traded off. The strong willed can do this, most of us here Can Not [​IMG]. Whatever is missing will nag you and haunt you until you end up buying a whole new receiver (or whatever) for twice as much as it would have been to get that little extra back in the day.
    * The only reason to upgrade receivers/ pre/pros now is format changes. Dolby 6.1 EX, DTS ES Matrix/6.1 Discrete, DTS 24/96, DPL2, NEO6 etc. Right now the formats should stay pretty static, so get a receiver that has just a "little more than what you want" in terms of features and power, and it should be good for years to come. Afterall whatever feature you decide you don't want and can live without will come back to get you later. How many of us thought we'd never use multizone or need video switching?
    * Lastly, you've gotta be strong... gotta be a trooper. If the product in question is lacking in any way, or you know something better will come along, just wait. I consider myself a "now person", so 'wait' is an evil word, but I'm slowly overcoming this. Always wait for the next series to see if what you are thinking about now is all you need and WANT compared to the newer model. If not you can grab that newer model and enjoy it longer.
    I hope this has been helpful and everyone takes my advice... hell... I just hope I take my own advice.

20. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Speakers are my weakness man:b . Every year..make it stop![​IMG]