What's new

How often do you upgrade your receiver? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
How often do you upgrade your receiver?
I'll answer for my pre/pro...
=> When new formats and/or enough of a (perceived) improvement in sound quality present themselves in a cost effective unit.
Have a Sony TA-E9000ES. About 3.5 yrs now. Been waiting, and been waiting for a pre/pro in the $1500-$2000 price range with DD EX, DTS-ES, 5.1 analog inputs (preferably with bass management), and DSP modes to "expand" 2.0 through 5.1 (movie) sources to 6.1/7.1. Mine has internal 24/48 processing, and have also been wanting to go to at least 24/96.
Receivers are a little easier, because they are updated more frequently. And another thought is, the sooner you upgrade, the more you can get for your old unit. (ebay, audiogon, etc.)
But after thinking about this again, the best answer for when to upgrade? How about after that 1st set of Duracells or Energizer batteries (not the cheapies that come with it) wear out in the remote! :)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I limit myself to upgrading 2 components a year and break it down by the following:

1)Subwoofer

2)LCR

3)Rears

4)DVD Player

5)TV

6)Sat Receiver

7)Amplification

8)Others

I'm right now at a crossroad as I need to upgrade my pre-amp (want the new processing) but want a new TV, Sat Receiver, and DVD player as well but only enough money to get two high quality components vs 5 cheap ones. Decisions, decisions...

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Not very often. Since I got my first HT in a box about 6 years ago I've had three different receivers and two of them are still in my current setup while #3 has been demoted to my parents house. My first upgrade was to a Kenwood pro logic unit and it's currently driving my subs. About four years ago I got an H/K 5.1 receiver and it is still my primary unit but it has been showing signs of wear so within the next 6 months or so I'll likley do another upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks