How often do YOU upgrade your home theater?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew s wells, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Last year around April, I bought what i thought would be my last television for quite some time. I have a friend on a VERY tight budget who was dying to have an hdtv. He offered me 800 for mine earlier this month (it was a 50H82). I told him that would be fine. (no way he would have been able to get one if i hadn't done this) so I ended up using that money towards a new Toshiba 57H83. So, lets see... since 1985 (Christmas time) I have owned the following tvs (all toshiba)a 19inch, 20 inch, 27 inch, 32 inch ,50 inch and now 57. I honestly don't forsee any upgrades for quite some time.. it is a blessing this time (DVI port and 720p support upconverted to 1080i. still looks fantastic!!) not to mention Since 1987 2 jvc recievers, 2 pioneer, and 2 yamaha (just upgraded to a DTS capable reciever) new dvd player after a magnavox, panasonic and toshiba now own a pioneer progressive player.. just upgraded the rear speakers as well.. anyone else as addicted as i am? I HOPE this will be it for a while. I do have another question. the speakers I have put out PLENTY of bass.. enough to rattle the walls. Do i really need a subwoofer? would there be that much of a difference? That would be (If i get one the last piece i would need..) any help would be great.
    [​IMG]

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Have you seen a FP yet compared to your 57" toshiba.....see I was going to get a RPTV but after a lot of waiting I looked into FP and well I now have one...they may not be the best for TV but for movies it blows away a RPTV....

Subwoofer....had 3 oh wait 4 ...kenwood 8", AR 12" , SVS 25-31 PCi and now a 25-31PC+ does it make a diff....yes....

you can see what I own now...most of the upgrades have been a receiver, speakers, subwoofer, 36" tv to 92" wide FP, added a 5 channel amp.....will I ever be done...NO...Now maybe if I had all the money to buy exactly what I wanted well maybe...

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

In my 2700 sq. foot home I have a projector, a 53" hdtv, a 32"hdtv, a 32" curved screen, a 27" flatscreen, a 27" curved screen, a 20" flatscreen and the baby of the group (actually the oldest) a 13" curved screen. Think I upgrade much? My problem is I never get rid of anything. [​IMG] I am pretty good at not upgrading speakers and electronics, except for dvd players. I have 5 of those, 6 if you include the one in my computer. So to quote a very wise man:

5. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    I have in a closet the history of HT receiver technology as I went from my first HT with Dolby Surround, to PL, to 5.1 and finally to separates I changed my HT around once a year until I got to my widescreen RPTV/B&K combo in 1995.

NOw I'm changing to a FP. 8 years with the same TV ain't bad I think. But the time has finally come!

One is never done with upgrading, but somtimes you just gotta watch some movies.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I have kept upgrading through the years because I have never been totally satisfied with me system and still am not. I finally have the audio right where I want it. I will not be upgrading my speakers or receiver for many many years. My system sounds great. But I have gone through a lot of receivers,speakers and subs before I got it right. Now on the display side of things I wnat a new hdtv. I have one of the very first hdtv's to hit the market, a Sharpvision 64LHP. And it still looks good, but I want better, I am trying to wait for LCOS hdtv's to produce better blacks and become less expensive. But as others have said, once you get the home theater infection, you will never be cured of it. You will always want to upgrade.

7. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Interesting string of messages regarding upgrading. I too am guilty of this (most recently getting a new DV player). Luckily I have a welcome outlet for my cast offs, namely a nephew with a new house and not much money for home theater equipment.

But rather than continually upgrading one item at a time perhaps it would be best to take the system approach and periodically change everything with the exception of speakers, which if are quality to begin with, will not be outdated with new technology. Case in point I am using AR-3's and AR-4x's. Still sound great after 37 years.

8. John S

John S Producer

Pro-logic and 32" TV from 1990 to 1995 10" sub
    I ran Optimus bi-pole speakers with the Pro-Logic stuff.

Dolby Digital 5.1 and 32" TV from 1995 to 1997
    Dolby Digital 5.1 and 50" Rear Projection 1997 to 2001
    I used a 12" Sub with my 5.1
    I used Yamaha NS 8" woofers three way speakers with my 5.1

7.1 and 50" Rear Projection 2001 to present. 15" Sub, and purchased 5 pair of JBL s38 speakers and use all ten on the system. (2 Rear, 4 side, 2 front, 2 in parallel center)

I am now taking the plunge to HDTV for my xmas present this year to myself. Looks like it will be a 60" Philips.

9. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

ChadLB.. nope. I haven't seen a FP. While i have heard its numerous praises, I honestly can't justify 300 bucks every time the bulb needs replacing. Especially after hearing they dont really have what you would call a long life.[​IMG]

10. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Andrew,
    That is true but who says a colored gun or something else can't go wrong with a RPTV that will cost money......The only problems with FP's seem to be replacing the Bulb...which yes is $300+ but hey I use mine only for movies and some sporting events and it is worth every penny [​IMG]

11. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

300 bucks for a bulb isn't that insane...I mean, bulb life is 2-3 k...figure it out...at my pace it'll be good for a few years...needless to say, it may be traded in by the time the bulb is wearing through some upgrade promo...who knows...I've had the rptv....never will I go back[​IMG]

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

1997: Zenith colour stereo TV, VCR

1999:Toshiba DVD player.

2000:Zenith shoots sparks out the back. Purchase new 27" JVC

2000[​IMG]urchase Kenwood VR-407 reciever & 6-piece speaker combo

2001: DVD player dies, Buy JVC Player (XV-6S2). Also buy JVC S-VHS player/recorder (HR-S3900U) for dwindeling supply of VHS tapes.

2002:Subwoofer makes horrible "Blaaaaaaaa-a-a-a-a-a-a--a-a-T" during the prologue of LOTR:FOTR DVD. Use JVC MX-GT90 shelf system, but non-shielded speakers turn TV picture green. Stop using shelf system as subwoofer later that day.

2002[​IMG]urchase 200-watt RCA subwoofer (PRO-SW220P) from Radioshack. It was on sale for $159.

2003:While GF watched her 'stories' Kenwood emits a loud "CRACK" noise, and silence. Replace with Pioneer (VSX-D511) reciever on sale from REX A/V. Disappointed with lack of front inputs, have to hook Playstation 2 directly to TV.

2003:Replace main L & R speakers with Paradigm Atoms (10% student discount). Enjoy speakers so much go on CD-buying spree! Never got into stereo before....must buy more music. Use old Kenwood HTiB mains w/ dual 3" woofers as surround speakers. Old Kenwood surround speakers collecting dust.

2003:One week later, replace center with Paradigm CC-170. Old Kenwood center collecting dust next to old Kenwood surrounds.

Planned upgrades for 2004:

Paradigm Atom surround & rear speakers

Onkyo TX-SR501 receiver (will need a single Atom for channel six...)

Sony CDP-CX455 400-disk CD player (No more scratched CD's!)

Sony DVP-CX985V 400 disk DVD player (No more "borrowed" DVDs...more shelf space)

Adire Audio Rava subwoofer (to add to front mains)

Even bigger subwoofer for LFE duties.

Plans for even further in the future:

Best 16:9 CRT Television when 51% of all television watched is finally in widescreen.

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

first got into HT with my first RP (sony 53HS10)
    purchased in Jan '01/
    Feb '01: first surround system Kenwood HTIB
    Aug '01: sold the RP and bought a business grade FP
    Aug '02: upgraded the speakers (Ascend cbm 170s)
    Oct '02: upgraded the reciever, surrounds and sub (NAD 752, ascends Htm 200s, Hsu VTF-2)
    Aug '03: sold the projector for 1/2 what i paid for it
    Sept'03: upgraded the projector

right now i'm in a pattern of upgrading something every summer, but i would like to get off that.
    i think i'm set with the audio end for quite a while
    -may invest in some extra amplification sometime down the road, but its not a real big deal at the moment.

i'm happy with the new projector on the whole, but i really wanted one with higher resolution in addition to all the feautures i now have.
    depending on how prices go, i may sell it next summer and upgrade or in 2005 at the latest.
    by that time, things like black level, contrast ratio, and fill factor will be improved enough that, along with the better resolution i don't see any need to upgrade again for quite a while.
    just storing up on bulbs after that.

will also probably buy a new dvi-capable dvd player sometime in '04.

14. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Summer '98 - Mac elecede Cool-DVD Kit for PM 8600, Toshiba 20" mono/composite ins, Pansonics/Technics Receiver and DD/DTS decoder package, Technics 100CD player, Klipsch Bookshelfs, Center Channel, 2 main, Shorewood Subwoofer

'98 - Toshiba 27" with S-Video inputs

'99 - Toshiba - Dual DVD player

Spring 2000 - Pioneer DVL-91 Elite DVD/LD combo player, sold Toshiba Dual DVD

Summer 2000/Spring 01 - built HTPC with Sigma DVD Card for Region Free, PowerMac Dual 500 G4 for jukebox, PS2

Summer 01/Spring 02 - Toshiba 50H81 replaced Toshiba 27", Denon 3802 replaced DD/DTS decoder and receiver, 100 CD Jukebox pulled, Panasonic RP91 DVD/DVD-A, SVS Subwoofer replaces Shorewood, Added HiPix HDTV Decoder card, Upgraded HTPC as well and got VGA -> Component converter. Gamecube. iPod 5GB. Built a Flexy Home Theater Rack System. Pronto Remote.

Summer 02/Spring 03 - Audio Authority switch boxes for Audio and Video, HD swappable firewire system for Hipix storage. Complete cabling upgrades with Better Cables and Blue Jeans cables, more Mac and HTPC upgrades. iPod 20 GB replaces iPod 5GB. HDTV Cable in addition to OTA. Harmony Remote Control replaces Pronto.

Summer/Winter 03 - Already - Pioneer 563A replaces sold Panasonic RP91, Atechfabrication "Heatsink" HTPC Case, Gigabit switch for Data transfer to/from upcoming new HTPC, PowerBook G4. Firewire DVD-R Drive

In the works for 2004: Sell Toshiba 50H81, Buy a DVI projector, new HTPC MB/CPU for the Atech case, MyHD DVI HDTV Card to complement HiPix, new iPod??, New G5??, Speaker Upgrade??, PIoneer 563A to be replaced eventually due to remote conflict with Pioneer DVD/LD combo player with another SACD/DVD-A combo player. DVI Switch boxes to allow Mac DVI/PC DVI/MyHD DVI on projector to be. Figure out where to put the Center channel if I have no TV. [​IMG]

There's always something to upgrade, but hopefully after '04 I'll be even better off than I was in 03 when all I did was mostly cable/switch upgrades. The good thing about "upgrading" is you can now sell off the old components on ebay to make the process much less expensive.