How often do you guys upgrade your TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I was just wondering how often you guys upgrade your TV sets. I've been wanting a progressive TV for a while but since my nonprogressive TV (Pioneer Elite SDP5193) was a top of the line one and spent a lot of money in years past I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade it like the rest of my components especially if when I can't afford another Pioneer Elite. I'm not sure if the Toshibas or Panasonics or Sonys will offer much of an upgrade to be worthwhile for the money. Any thoughts? How fast does technology change in this area?

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Technology in this area is updating itself almost constantly. The real question for all of us is, what updates are we willing to pay for.

Progressive scan was the most recent BIG thing to have, so that's when I decided to upgrade in the winter of 2000 (keep in mind I had my previous set for about 4 years before that). My set is just over a year old now (Toshi 50HX70), but its aging gracefully, and the picture is still stunning.

I think around 5 years, give or take, is a good lifetime for any "main" TV set. We all have older sets for bedrooms or dens, but I'd expect an average Joe who's interested in TV/Movies to upgrade twice a decade.

As for your TV, go to a showroom and check out some lower-end RPTVs (Toshi, Sony, Panny). If its not worth the money, then another option you have is to get your Pioneer ISF'ed (if you haven't already). That should extend the picture quality for a while.

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

My TV is about 4-5 years old. My family usually keep the TV till they break. We already have many TV bought at around the same time so it's not too much of about new or old. Do TVs degrade in picture badly over the years?