How often do you buy new amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikhailL, Jun 3, 2002.

1. MikhailL

MikhailL Extra

Just wanted to know others' experience.
    I'm talking about the integrated amplifiers.
    The changes in sound formats/features have been quite frequent in the last few years and you can just see more coming.
    (mine is 5 years old)

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Hi MikhailL,

I agree with you...a lot has happened in the audio format world over the past few years. I also have a 5-year old Yamaha integrated amp, and truthfully speaking, that is a lifetime w/o upgrading for me. It doesn't even have DTS! I have been seriously pondering some upgrades (move to separates) but I've decided to hold off a little while longer and coincide my upgrade with plans to build a dedicated home theater. If it weren't for that fact, I'd have upgraded already so I can take advantage of the newer formats, including some of the 6.1 formats and 7.1 DSPs.

But a lot more than sound formats have changed and as a result, you can now buy a much improved receiver or separates and pay no more (and sometimes much less) than I paid for my Yammy 5 yrs. ago. Better DACs, more power for less money, better subwoofer crossover adjustments, and more sound adjustments (i.e. channel delay) are just some of the reasons I can think of for upgrading.

Good luck to you if you decide to upgrade, and by the way...welcome to HTF!

3. MikhailL

MikhailL Extra

Scott, I completely agree.
    I always find myself "holding off a little". For format wars to end, for new formats to establish and bugs to be worked out, and so on. The separates could be an answer, but quality pre-amps/DSP's cost almost as much as many decent integrated recievers. I also wonder how many people buy a couple of addl speakers for new ES formats.