What's new

How often do you buy new amps? (1 Viewer)

MikhailL

Grip
Just wanted to know others' experience.
I'm talking about the integrated amplifiers.
The changes in sound formats/features have been quite frequent in the last few years and you can just see more coming.
(mine is 5 years old)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi MikhailL,

I agree with you...a lot has happened in the audio format world over the past few years. I also have a 5-year old Yamaha integrated amp, and truthfully speaking, that is a lifetime w/o upgrading for me. It doesn't even have DTS! I have been seriously pondering some upgrades (move to separates) but I've decided to hold off a little while longer and coincide my upgrade with plans to build a dedicated home theater. If it weren't for that fact, I'd have upgraded already so I can take advantage of the newer formats, including some of the 6.1 formats and 7.1 DSPs.

But a lot more than sound formats have changed and as a result, you can now buy a much improved receiver or separates and pay no more (and sometimes much less) than I paid for my Yammy 5 yrs. ago. Better DACs, more power for less money, better subwoofer crossover adjustments, and more sound adjustments (i.e. channel delay) are just some of the reasons I can think of for upgrading.

Good luck to you if you decide to upgrade, and by the way...welcome to HTF!

MikhailL

Grip
Scott, I completely agree.
I always find myself "holding off a little". For format wars to end, for new formats to establish and bugs to be worked out, and so on. The separates could be an answer, but quality pre-amps/DSP's cost almost as much as many decent integrated recievers. I also wonder how many people buy a couple of addl speakers for new ES formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks