How often do you buy DVD's that were released over 5+ years ago?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarkHastings, Jul 12, 2006.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I will admit that, while my DVD collection is large, it doesn't contain 'essential' DVD's as the size of my collection would allude to someone who is now a movie lover.

I never was a "movie" person until HT & DVD opened the door to viewing quality movies in my home. Now that I am hooked on movies, I try to purchase movies that I always ignored when I really wasn't into movies.

The problem is, when I first started collecting DVD's, 80% of my purchases were new titles and movies that I loved...now that I've had my fill of movies, I am starting to get into the films that I should have watched YEARS ago.

Anyways, for example; I don't own American Graffiti but I want to purchase it. Now going on Amazon, I see it was released in 1998. Not that it's a tough decision, but sometimes I get turned off by purchasing older releases.

They just don't seem as pristine. Knowing how much the technology has changed, I'm often turned away. I mean, the only good thing is, they are usually pretty cheap, so I'll end up getting it, but....

Does anyone else feel this way?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I've long since reached the point where I own all of the dvds I want. So, for me, the only new purchases are either films coming to dvd for the first time, or ones that I've only just seen for the first time and want to buy. At this stage in the game, that's pretty rare, but when it happens, I don't hesitate to buy a dvd that came out years ago.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

My DVD list was endless from the start and spanning every genre and medium from classic films (westerns, noirs, screwballs, etc), silents, talkies, foreign (asian, neo-realist, expressionist, etc), new wave, golden age cartoons to television animation and documentaries, tv specials, childrens series, sitcoms, sports and so on...

There was no way I was ever going to reach a point where I could simply look ahead to the new releases so Ive always been somewhat behind in my collecting. I figure even with the new high-def formats, it'll still take me years to cover all the back catalogue titles that I hadn't ever gotten around to picking up, and I'm well behind on my television library which I've also been putting off.

The problem is that with all the recent box sets and exciting new announcements, I simply haven't had a chance to focus on the back titles, but the nice thing is that most of those earlier releases have dropped significantly in price since. But like you, I'm also somewhat hesitant at this point to jump back into them given that many were among first generation releases and with the new formats and constant reissues, I'd prefer to focus on the new-to-dvd stuff right now.

Most of what I've been purchasing lately are lots of classic Hollywood, Noir and 60-70s new wave films that arent likely to be released in any other context for years. (I can't see a title like Petulia or the Busby Berkley musicals getting rushed out to HD-DVD). But many of the 80-90s comedies/thrillers/action movies, etc. are likely candidates for upgrade.

So even if there are "lesser" filsm that I've enjoyed, I'm not in any hurry to run out and buy them because I'd rather put my money towards the abundance of new releases that WB, Fox and Criterion are pouring out, expecting that by the time the well runs dry and HD is settled (hopefully a single format emerges and there is some stability among releases and so on) I will be able to upgrade all these earlier titles that I missed in a better format or release.

Once in a while I'll pick something up though. Like a couple of weeks ago I finally got around to buying Polanski's "The Tenant" which I got from DigitalEyes for something like $8, shipped... not bad!

4. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Ah, old DVD's, not old movies?

It is surprising, maybe, that so many of the "original" DVD releases have never been re-released since. Or at least not with improved PQ/SQ. We all know the reasons for some of the more famous ones. I don't really care how old the DVD is, if it's the only/best presentation available on DVD. One thing is, lots of those old DVD's are awfully cheap, even new. I have not had a single instance of an old DVD going bad over the years, though I know it sometimes happens. And, very recently, I purchased an "old" DVD release ('90's I mean) and was surprised to see that the disc inside was a new-dated pressing and it came in a newer-style "tabbed" keepcase. So what I'm saying is, an old DVD release may be a new disc inside...if non-playing of "old" was what was maybe worrying you.

And if it's a blind buy, then hey you're getting ownership for cheap. You'll know if you need a better version if/when it comes out, when your system can handle it. With my 5?" screen and the distance I like to sit, most DVD's look good, even old ones, if they don't have artifacts and were done "properly". If it "looks" good and is enjoyable, then how old the DVD is is unimportant. I still have a few old non-anamorphic DVD's which are the bane of my viewing experience, and I certainly wouldn't buy any more of those unless it's an unpopular or niche title.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That's exactly where I'm at too. [​IMG]

6. george kaplan

Well it's certainly possible. For years I too was 'behind'. But the day did come. At last count I had 1533 dvds, and they do indeed cover all of the genres you mentioned, plus more.

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Same here, really. I never buy new releases of new movies anymore since they are less than half-price in a few months. New releases of old movies is a different matter, totally different topic than old DVD's. It's rare that I buy a MOVIE less than 10 years old these days, most are more like 40+y.o., and the sad thing is I can remember them when they were new...[​IMG]

But...a lot of older lesser-talked-about films that have been really hard to find up here show up once in a while. For very cheap. Like "The Tenant" Marco mentioned though it's only about 4 years old. Many "old" DVD's that I've never seen on any store shelf (and for many, for good reason IMO) show up in places like the Wal-Mart bargain bins.

So I still say buy the old DVD's if that's all that's been released, and it's a lower-profile title with little hope of seeing a better one. It's amazing how many movies you've never heard of are actually pretty good, or if not good, that you'll like![​IMG] That only have one "old" DVD release.

Edit: checking my want list, the only *old* DVD's I need to buy are: Serial Mom, Eyes Wide Shut, Breaking the Waves (uncut), Hard Boiled.

8. george kaplan

I'd hold off on Eyes Wide Shut. Supposedly an uncut version is coming this year.

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Yeah, that is a title that seemed inevitable to see a proper release, but is also one of those "problem" titles. I'd still buy the current release for $5, no more, a shame really, just don't like cuts especially when I know I'm missing something. Though we're always "missing something" in every movie that's seen an editor, just don't tell me about it!

Those "old, to buy" came off my non-R1 list...I really prefer to buy R1 just because my R1 players are better, but really I can't complain. For instance, you can still buy Mickey Mouse in Color V1 for less than $10 in R2, so I took the easy (cheap) way out, though borderline an "old" DVD.

10. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I actually buy quite a few older releases, since I'm still building my collection. I usually only buy bargain bin releases when I'm certain there's not going to be a "new and improved" version coming out e.g. I just picked up The Phantom for $5 for that very reason.

11. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I do buy alot older movies (especially when they're fairly cheap) and find that they often have charms not found in newer films.

Get most of my older movies at WalMart and in the Gamestop 3/$10 bin.

Recently got seven Dr. Who titles from the Gamestop bin.

Watched 'Will Penny' last night, nice to see a realist Western as opposed to just action and glamor.

Watched 'King Kong' (1976) night before, enjoyed the 70's humor and most of the acting (let's not talk about the guy in the suit).

Then there's duds like 'Goin' South' and 'Cloak & Dagger' which aren't as good as you hoped and are only worth $1 in trade.

I've got hundreds of unwatched DVDs and I'd say that 90% are from before 1999.

Think I'm reaching the burn-out point where the stuff I need to watch (for the first time) is keeping me for re-watching the stuff I'd like to go back to (TRON).

But they'll be plenty of time for that when cheap DVDs have disappeared and there's nothing to get unless you want to spend $20-$30 per title.

Till then, I'll thank my luck stars and keeping enjoying the show.

12. LorenzoL

LorenzoL Second Unit

Older catalog titles are the main items that I purchase lately.

13. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I find myself buying new releases of movies that I saw in the theater and want to own, and renting just about everything else from Netflix. I still have a healthy collection (I stopped counting at 500, and that was awhile ago) and I still get lots of boxed sets for gifts, like the recent Hitchcock boxed set, so that fills in the older stuff.

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

When the titles are anamorphic and less than 10 bucks, it get's on my shelf.

15. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Nearly as often as I buy DVD's. I rarely buy newer stuff. Own hundreds of classics. Paramount, take note.

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I didn't realize we were talking about contemporary films versus older movies... I thought the question was in referance to when the DVD was originally issued.

If we're talking about the former, than it is extremely rare that I'll pick up a NEW film on DVD, as in a new release of a film that was recently in theaters. Very rare, outside of the odd documentary, Herzog or Wes Anderson film.

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I think the thread evolved into that.

My original question was about purchasing movies that were released before (and around) the year 2000. Whether they be old movies or new movies, that wasn't the issue.

Now that I (as others have expressed) own all the DVD's I really wish to own, I find myself looking to purchase DVD's that were released in the early stages of DVD. Let's face it, in 1998 the DVD encoding technology was not perfect and a lot of studios were just pushing titles out just to get titles out.

For some reason, when I see that a DVD was produced in 1998, I kind of get that "Ugh, old technology" feeling and wanted to see if others had that same gut feeling. Besides the obvious anamorphic issue, I'm often on the fence on whether or not to buy a '98 released DVD.

It just doesn't have that "Shiny/New" up-to-date encoded feel to it anymore.

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Nope, can't relate. Release year is completely irrelevant. I don't even know that information for most movies I own.

--
    H

19. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Which is one that I want as well....please report on the transfer quality when you can! [​IMG]

20. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

I understand where MarkHastings is coming from. I too am sometimes hesistant to buy old DVDs because I know the video quality is sometimes sub-par. Cases in point: Blade Runner and Rob Roy. Even a movie like Eraser, which was considered "reference" back in 1997, doesn't look so hot compared to the transfer quality on DVDs these days. Generally though, if it's a title I want, and I can get it anamorphic and under $10, I buy it. [​IMG]