How often do y'all get a bad dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinA, Dec 29, 2001.

1. KevinA

KevinA Agent

I've been collecting for 'bout 2yrs now, never got a bad disk.. not one! now in the last couple days i've had 3!! very bad scratch(almost a crack by the looks of it) on my dr zivago and bubbles?? on one of my simpsons collection disks and another little scratch on a evolution disk. bad luck eh? I had actually started watching dr zhivago when it did a major skip, thats how i found the scratchcrack... too bad i was really getting into it! beautiful movie. [​IMG]

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I have 107 DVD's, and just less than a month ago I got my first bad DVD(movie would play, could not access menu)it was "Ever After"(for anyone that knows about me and Drew, they can just imagine my horror[​IMG] ). K Mart exchanged it with no problem.
    My Moulin Rouge DVD had a tiny scratch on the very outer edge of the disc, it is very minor and it plays flawlessly.
    So far my odds are better than 1 in 100, my odds are 1 in 107.
    I would have to say it is rare to get a defective DVD.

3. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Such a rapid onslaught of defective discs might be a sign of a newly-developed problem with the player. As for how many bad discs I've had, I've had the following out of about 160 individual discs:

Army Of Darkness (2nd disc of limited set)

The Crow: Salvation (although I never replaced it because a: the movie wasn't any good, b: I bought it out of town and c: the defect is in the credits)

Manhunter (2nd disc of limited set, another Anchor Bay title)

X-Files Season 3: Disc 7

X-Files Season 4: Disc 1 (bad luck, I guess).

4. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Out of around 250 disc the only one I have had a problem with was MGM's Terminator SE. Exchanged it and had no problems after. Instead of bad disc I just get 2 disc sets that are missing the second disc. For example I bought Die Hard 5Star, Forrest Gump, and Snow White all on their respective release date and all were missing their second disc.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Out of over 500 I've had one. It started out fine and went bad about 8 months later. The disc started getting little pits all over it's surface. After a few emails Pioneer was nice enough to replace it.

6. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

I own about 400+ Dvds and have had returned 7 discs. 4 of which were actually factory defective and couldnt be watched (pressing problems other than factory shipped discs).

Planet of the Apes (Pixelated and Froze, was full of finger prints and scratches when I bought it sealed.)

Jaws - dislodged itself during shipping and scratched up a ton in the process still was watchable with the exception of a frame skip but amazon shipped me a new one (Thanks Amazon)

Mummy Returns - Got a P&S version in a collectors edition Widescreen box.

Point Break - more pixelation and skipping problems. exchanged. is better.

There might have been more but none I can recall off the top if my head.

-Damien

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I have just over 100 dvds and I've just had one bad disc. I got a bad pressing of ID4 that wouldn't play the chapter that contained the layer switch. I exchanged it for a new copy (which had different cover art...?) and didn't have any more troubles.

8. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I only recently got what is my first "bad" DVD. My Planet Of The Apes (2001) when I attempt to watch the movie only, gets interrupted by bursts of picture within the picture with interviews and behind the scenes trivia. It played perfectly the first time but the 2nd and 3rd attempts at watching it were stopped cold by this intrusion.

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I've gotten a few bad ones over the last few months - two years prior to that I never had a problem (over about 100 DVDs).

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

the closest thing that I've gotten to a bad DVD so far was with the Jaws 20th Anniversary DVD. When I got home from buying it, I put it in the player and instead of the menu for jaws, the menu for Ride with the Devil came up. I returned it the next day and since they didn't have any more copies of Jaws left, I got Pitch Black instead. [​IMG]

11. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Out of over 2000, only 2 bad discs.

12. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

My fight club disc 2 (ordered from DVD-empire some time ago) have some nasty scratches, so I can't play all the trailers on the disc. No big deal.
    My T2:UE (DVD-18) has audio dropout near the ending, also pretty minor.
    Also, one of my adult titles have some bad pixellation, dammit! :b [​IMG]

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

14. ChrisSk

ChrisSk Extra

Out of >250 discs I've only had to replace one, disc 1 of Big Trouble in Little China had a paint fleck embedded in the plastic of the DVD. When I bought VHS I had to return over half of them because of defects!

15. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Hmm, out of the 225 DVD's (don't laugh) I've purchased, only 2 were defective within a 1 year time span. Men in Black and Simpsons. Both were purchased via e-tailers but I was able to exchange them at Wal-Mart.

When CD's came out, I remember having the same thing happen.

It amazes me that there aren't more defective discs being released than already are. Most DVD players must have good tracking and error correction capability.

16. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

ChrisSk sez this...

17. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

My "bad luck" rate is much higher than most it seems. I'd say I have problems with 1/15 titles. (out of ~300 I've had problems with, say 20 or so)

With the exception of one title (French Connection which consistently locked up at the same point of the disc on two copies bought at the same B&M) all of my problems have been related to broken spindles and/or "slipped discs".

I've had these problems with at least two online stores and two local B&Ms.... Returns/echanges are not a problem of course, but, as the saying goes, "if they can put a man on the moon... then why can't they develop a method to keep a disc fall slipping off the spindle?

:)

18. Don Landis

Don Landis Auditioning

The only problem DVD's I've had is when I rent them from Blockbuster. One even damaged my player requiring me to send it to the factory repair for a new transport when one of their stickers came off while playing. Other than those experiences, other rental houses, and purchased DVD's have played just fine in my Toshiba and now Panny 56 players.

19. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    After buying over 200 discs, I finally got my first bad apple: Jurassic Park 3. It totally froze about five minutes from the end... really pissed my kids off. I exchanged it for a good copy at my local Fred Meyer, where the counter girl remarked "Yeah, we get bad discs back all the time." Hmmmm... Maybe I've just been extremely lucky so far.... Yikes.

Now rentals, that's another story. I've had at least ten that haven't played correctly. Yet another reason NOT to rent....

20. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I have purchased nearly 500 DVDs and only had seven defective titles. I think the biggest problem I have had with DVDs are broken cases but it usually only requires a case replacement. But the seven defective DVDs were Contact, French Connection, Gorky Park, Dinosaur Collectors Edition. Jurassic Park(DTS), Cleopatra, and Never Say Never Again.
    The problems that I have had are also quite varied. And I was able to exchange or replace most of them with a new copy. Below are a list of the titles and problems.
    Contact: I had problems with this title freezing and pixelating after the layer change. It had this problem when it was purchased new, so it was easily replaced.
    French Connection: It had two supplemental discs instead of the movie disc.
    Gorky Park: Broken case and a badly scratched disc.
    Dinosaur: Disc isn't completely compatible with my DVD players. Some of my players functions will not work with this title. Disney did acknowledge problems but hasn't issued a corrected disc yet. But I can play the movie so it is still in my collection.
    Jurassic Park: The LFE channel level was low. I was able to get the new corrected copy.
    Cleopatra: Exit music was missing. Was able to get a corrected disc.
    Never Say Never Again: Missing scene from the movie. I was able to exchange it for a corrected copy.
    Jame Bond Collection: Missing movie subtitles. I own several of the DVDs with this problem but never exchanged them.