how often do dealers allow home auditions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Doran, Dec 4, 2002.

1. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

how much do you have to be spending for dealers to allow a home audition of the equipment you're considering purchasing?
    should they offer to allow you to listen to the stuff at home at a certain price-point?
    when would it be forgiveable for a dealer not to let you listen to something at home despite it being a big-ticket item?
    just wondering 'cos i'm about to drop a fair bit of scratch on some stuff...
    thanks for the help.
    - jd

2. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

bump

3. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

I would NEVER purchase a piece of audio gear that I couldn't return for refund if it didn't work out. Heck, if CC and BB will let you bring back the cheap stuff, your hi-fi dealer should certainly do the same with the good stuff. Fact is, many are not very good at this. It is one of the reasons I like buying factory direct. No hassle if it doesn't work out.

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

John,
    I think it depends on each dealer. The dealer I bought my speakers from sent me home with both sets to compare on a Saturday and told me to have them back by Sunday. I think if you show genuine interest in buying, most will help you. You just have to ask in most cases. Once you buld a relationship in buying, It gets easier.

5. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Every dealer I have been to except one has allowed me to take home pretty much anything. Rotel CD players, B&W speakers, etc. I usually had to do it Saturday afternoon-Monday morning (sine they are closed on Sunday).

If a dealer's return policy is 'upgrade only', personally I'd pass.

6. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

I can't add much to what Dan and Kevitra said other than without hooking up speakers up to your equiptment in your room, you won't truely know how they sound. Of course dealers want to avoid "tire kickers" or people wanting to "borrow" speakers for a party, but most are happy to let you take home their demo models IF you ask. Also, as stated above, I would walk out of a store that has an exchange-only, no return policy. There is a Tannoy dealer here in S.F. that does not allow overnight auditions OR return the speakers if they don't sound good in my room accoustics. Store credit only. I'll never buy a thing from him!

7. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

John,

Unless I miss my mark it isn't as common a practice up here in the Great White North as it is down south. I Have probably 2 dealers that I have dealt with for a while that permit me to home audition. What are you trying to borrow if you don;t mind me asking... and from whom :)

Miles

8. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

miles,
    well, i haven't actually tried to borrow anything - but the speakers and equipment i'm no doubt inevitably going to buy are PMC MB2's (L/C/R) and bryston amplification (14b sst and 7b sst).
    the store i am currently dealing with is Audio One here in Toronto. i got my first round of HT gear from bay/bloor radio and was treated like crap, so i took my business elsewhere.
    i guess i don't really care if i audition their demos or am allowed to return the ones i buy myself if they don't sound good at my place - i just want to be treated like a guy who's about to spend some serious cash, you know? it would sour me if home auditions for purchases like this are standard and i wasn't offered one. that's all.
    thanks for the input.
    - jd

9. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

John,
    I know what you mean. You walk into a store and they treat you like crap and then expect you to drop a ton of money. Funnily enough I have heard of a place in Ottawa, who offers 100% value if you double the money you spend on the next purchase with in a calender year... The PMC's I have heard good things about but have not had the opportunity to audition, the Byrstons are just that [​IMG]... good luck I hope that you can find a good place to deal with... I have heard of some pretty good dealers out Burlington, Brampton way. I usually deal with Audio Excellence on Bayview... Adrian is a good person to deal with...
    Miles