What's new

How often are you supposed to change the heads of razors? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I recently got a Mach 3 and some cartridge replacements, and don't know how often I have to change the razors heads. What's the average amount of uses a razor head should get before it gets replaced? Thanks.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I usually go 9 or 10 shaves beofore I feel the need to replace my Mach 3 cartridges. When I forgot to change them I have gone longer 15 or more and it is not too bad really.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I use a Mach 3 as well. I just change it when it starts feeling cruddy. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It varies for everyone depending on the thickness of your beard and how often you shave. When I used Mach 3's, I found I usually had to change about every two weeks (about 12 shaves). I believe my step-father changes his weekly.

Depends on personal experience and preference however. When you feel it's become less effective, or are getting more cuts, it's probably time to change.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
The razor heads should come with a small blue strip at the top. Usually you should change heads when the strip's color is almost completely faded.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Has anybody tried the Mach3 "turbo"?
I "had" to because the store was out of the original and it seems like I have to go over everything twice. Sucks and they're more money!
Speaking of, what the hell is with $8.00 for only four damn blades? I can't afford to shave!

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
My face is pretty sensitive. When I start to nick (usually after a week), I crack open a new one.

Thos.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
...what the hell is with $8.00 for only four damn blades?
Tell me about it. The price of these blades has REALLY gotten ridiculous. If I didn't have shakey hands, I'd learn to use a straight-razor. ;)

Thankfully, if I don't have a beard (usually "Riker" style..not sure of the actual name for that type) I have a goat 'n stache, so I'm only shaving my cheeks. Razors last longer.

But STILL. If I didn't have facial hair all the time, I'd be buying an electric just because of the expense of those damn blades. :angry:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, I have a beard and thus only shave the cheeks and throat, but I only get about a week's worth of good out of a blade. Sometimes I'll try and stretch it 2 weeks (especially if I opted not to shave on a weekend) but usually I'm bleeding by that point. :frowning: Must have tough beard hairs or something.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Gillette sent me a Free Mach 3 Shaver in the mail ... for no reason other than to hook me :) .. becuase they are damn good!

For me ... about 10-12 shaves per blade on my old Schick.

Looks like this Mach 3 might average more as they seem like better blades.

And yes, replacement blades are damn expensive!

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
When do you shave?

Before I get in the shower.
In the shower.
After I get done showing.

If not during the shower, do you put a hot washcloth on your face piror to shaving to soften things up?

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I shave in the shower, at the end.

Also, part of what causes the blade to get dull is the cutting of hairs, but also, there is some build up and slight corrosion at the cutting edge as well. Because of this someone using the blade for just the beard might get the same use as someone shaving their whole face since it was still exposed to water and drying just as often and for about the same amount of time.

E

Eric Kahn

I went from july to oct on one head on my mach 3, I shave on the shower
went that long because of the price of replacements, I finally bought the disposable version of it because they were cheaper than the blade cartridges for the mach 3

Anders Englund

Second Unit
How often do I change blades? Well, if I buy a fresh 4-pack, I use the first two blades for maybe two weeks each. The third usually a bit longer (3-4 weeks). The last blade will stay with me for months, until I've spent every morning for a week screaming pain. The throbbing hurt in my face then convinces me that the money for a new pack of blades just might be worth it. :)

On a side note, how the hell can anyone shave in the shower? I always need to use a mirror, and that won't really work in the shower.

--Anders

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
On a side note, how the hell can anyone shave in the shower? I always need to use a mirror, and that won't really work in the shower.
Get a fog-free mirror from Bed, Bath & Beyond. They're under $20 and work great if you keep them clean.

As for me I also use the Mach III turbo blades and use a new one every Monday morning. You can buy them at Sam's Club in a 20 pack for about $1/blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks