What's new

How of much of your life has been used up playing RPGs? (1 Viewer)

James T

Screenwriter
The only real RPGs I've played were the Elder Scrolls. Arena, I played for about 2 months. I wasn't able to solve a riddle, so I stopped playing. For Daggerfall, it was on my computer for about 6 months. Morrowind, I got the game first day it came out and stopped playing it a couple months back. I just got an Xbox and this is now my second time renting Morrowind.

Deus Ex, only about 2 hours. There was problems playing the game with a nVidia card, which meant the game kept running at like 2 fps. That game, I really wanted to like too.

ChrisV

Second Unit
I totally forgot about Deus Ex! Great game. Played through it on PC and then played through it again when it came out for PS2. Not sure how much of my life that used up, but it was totally worth it.

Can’t wait for DX2:Invisible War.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I read that Xenosaga will have around 80 or so hrs. of gameplay. I think the average is actually supposed to be around 60 or 70 hrs.
Are you sure that's not 6 or 7 hours of gameplay with 60 or 70 hours of watching fmv or skipping through dialogue? ;)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure that's not 6 or 7 hours of gameplay with 60 or 70 hours of watching fmv or skipping through dialogue?
Exactly where my fears lie when concerning XenoSaga. I have a feeling that I'll be replaying Xenogears shortly after returning XenoSaga and being disappointed with what I "played" of it.:frowning:

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Romier S and Others:

Xenogears is good for a replay, and it so-so battle system reveals itself on a replay. But this is one of the few games where a replay feels better than the first time around since you catch the details that you couldn't on your first playthrough. I mean if received a $1 for everytime I noticed a "foreshadowing" or and "OH! Now I get it!" I would have a new console (prolly a Gambecube and an Xbox) at my side.

Don't worry too much about Xenosaga. There is good gameplay in the game, and as a bonus, all cutscenes and animations are skippable by pressing START then Triangle. (at least on the import :)

I haven't finished the IMPORT, but what I played of it was movie intensive in the beginning. Playing on a Japanese PS2 which I purchased just for this game...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I think it is 6-7 hours of movies in a 30-40 hour game - maybe a bit more. Wish I had a real HD TV greater than the 27" inch flat screen TV in my room. :frowning: Still an awesome looking title.

I should have finished it, but my extensive anime collection beckons me to finish seeing the stuff there.... :p

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't the movies that were a pain in Xenogears - they were always high quality & watchable. It was the dialogue bits - non skipable & far far far too long & frequent.

AlexJ

Agent
Hey Woo Jae... you lucky bastard!:D I'm so jealous... so, tell me - do you know what people are referring to when they mention the scene or scenes that were 'edited' from the game for the U.S. version? Like incest or rape or something like that in Xenosaga? I know you didn't finish the whole thing, but I hope you watched enough of the cut scenes to give us a little 'sample' of what the story is like... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! BTW, thanks for the good news: although I never really doubted it, it's a relief to read that there's no need to worry about the gameplay vs. the cutscenes. You rule!

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
No problem, Alex.

But it cost me a pretty penny indeed.. :frowning:

Haven't gotten that far, but I have seen the scene in question on the net, and can safely say that like all rumours and gossip on the net, it is unfounded. The scene, however, is very very intense. There was NO pedophilia, No nudity involved, and as usual some folks imposed their views of the scene and it spread like wildfire. Once word of it got to Namco, they decided to tone it down.

Once you get into this story, there is no turning back... I mean Final Fantasies don't have political intrigue, mysterious factions, and of course, butt-kicking androids like KOS-MOS. The issues introduced in the game will definately make you think and ponder and of course salivate for Episode 2.

BrianB: as I mentioned, one plus that Xenosaga has over other FMV heavy games is the PAUSE/SKIP feature, which I hope will become available to ALL FMV intensive games.

I too was surprised at the movie heavy beginning, but many aspects of the game made it very enjoyable to play what I did of it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Once you get into this story, there is no turning back... I mean Final Fantasies don't have political intrigue, mysterious factions, and of course, butt-kicking androids like KOS-MOS. The issues introduced in the game will definately make you think and ponder and of course salivate for Episode 2.
I'm glad to hear it. I'm definitely buying no matter what and I'm keeping an open mind so we'll see.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
RPG2 are probably the best thing to play on computers, so nice of the machine to do all your record keeping and complex dice rolling for you ;)

ALthough I've played a bunch, all time favorites are probably the Ultimas and Wasteland for C64. Ultima III-V was played almost exclusively from 5 pm - 4 am while in high school, Wasteland was even worse. For those that never played it, Wasteland was the spiritual grand daddy to Fallout 1&2 (also great RPGs.) There was something special about that game that I've never been able to shake.

Lately, anything from Bioware seems more than worth the $50...

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
I spent 160+ hours on Ultima VII (& Serpent Isle).

That's the only RPG I've spent that much time on.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I'd rather have gobs of movies in Xenosaga. Heck, in Xenogears, the gameplay was mainly just an obstacle to the story. I play RPGs to see a good story, not to sit through the endless random battles that pass for "gameplay".

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Interjection......

What does RPG mean?

Never heard of it. Never played one. Never will.

Just curious.

Thanks. :)

Jim Ed

Agent
I spent 2.0 years of my life playing Everquest. Looking back, it was a huge timesink. I let alot of my family, friends and work slide down hill. I was able to quit in the spring of 2001. It is the worse addiction I ever had.

Jim Ed

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Like many an acronym, RPG stands for Role Playing Games, used to refer to a genre of games with certain elements.

For consoles, a popular example would be Final Fantasy series. For PC, Morrowind is one example of such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks