What's new

How of much of your life has been used up playing RPGs? (1 Viewer)

AlexJ

Agent
I swear – there are lots of types of games that can take a lot of time to play, but I don’t think any other genre ultimately ends up costing me so much overall game-playing time in the end. I think I must spend about 120 to 200 hours on each RPG I play. Is that average? How much time do you think you spend on RPGs on the average, and what’s the longest game you ever played?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
The longest game I can remember playing was FFX. I think it took me about 53 hours to beat it(I did some but not all of the side quests). I was playing through it again, but I'm only about 20 hours into it(though I think I'm speeding through it this time). Secret Of Mana took alot of my time, FF7 did me for about 30 hours(maybe around 35) However, that's been put on hold since I bought my brother's xbox from him.
Speaking of FF7, I might have to pick up a cheap copy of that at some point in the future. I remember liking it alot but I only played through it once and that was like 5 years ago.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Morrowind-at least 80 hours and counting

Baldurs Gate 2-50+ and I still have not completed the game (on chapter 6 of 10 with the expansion)

FF VII-50+ hours (Pretty solid FF game overall but still have issues with with some poritons overall. The materia system was kind of neat to play around with)(Still have the save file)

FF VIII-94 hours (all characters to level 100, all cards, Omega weapon defeated) and I didn't even like the game all that much but tore through it anyway cause I was addicted to the card battle game (which was better than the actual game!). Last Final Fantasy game I played in it entirety. I put about 16 hours in 9 (which I actually want to get back to cause I liked it) and almost 35 in X before it completely bored me to death. (Still have the save file)

Xenogears-90+ hours to beat (still have the save file)

Planescape Torment-70+ hours to beat

Suikoden 1-60+ to beat (from memory of playing it at college for almost 2 weeks straight)

Dragon Warrios VII-Currently hovering at around 20 hours but haven't gotten back to it in awhile.

Skies of Arcadia (DC)-50+ hours to beat

Gothic (PC)-About 25+ hours in on this one but I havent gotten back to it in a bit. Will be restarting soon however as the sequel is due for release soon.

Arx Fatalis-15+ hours on this one. Suprisingly good game. Magic system is treat to play around with. Again abandoned after putting in some serious time so I have to get back to it.

Neverwinter Nights-8 hours in on a restarted game. The single player game just does absolutely nothing for me. I'm hoping to devote more time for it to grab me soon.

So yes. I've whisked away MANY hours on RPG's. Gladly do it again too;). As for the longest game I have ever played. That distinction goes to Dark Age of Camelot in which I have dumped well over 130+ hours in the span of 9 months of play time. (account is now cancelled).

ChrisV

Second Unit
I've pumped a lot of time into the Final Fantasy series and various PC RPGs (Diablo I & II especially), but most recently it's Xbox Morrowind that's taken a lot of my time... A LOT.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Neverwinter Nights-8 hours in on a restarted game. The single player game just does absolutely nothing for me. I'm hoping to devote more time for it to grab me soon.
Heh, why bother, we ought to all get together and run a campaign some night :p).

RPGs are like sweet, sweet nectar when I have the time, which means I don't play them much anymore unfortunately. Longest was probably Final Fantasy 9 which I put around sixty-some hours into and I was at least at sixty-four with FF8 as well.

Ironically I couldn't stand VIII at all and stuck with it to turn my characters into basic demigods and slam through the ending just to say I had finished it.

Longest RPG I ever played is definitely Baldur's Gate II. Not even Planescape, which is likewise huge, sucked away my time like BG2. I still haven't finished it and I've easily sunk over 80 hours of time into it.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, let's see. I'd say that Final Fantasy 7-10 each ate up about 80 hours, we'll say 12 hours x4 on ff4, maybe 30 on ff6 (it was a long time ago), and 60 on tactics...and that's just FF games. Torment ate a bunch of time (although compacted into about 10 days), but the record holder is 125 hours on Dragon Warrior VII. This is the only RPG that I can think of that took me more than 100 hours to complete-and it was worth ALL of it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I usually spend about 50-60 hours on RPGs, though some (like Lunar for PSX) take a lot less time (Lunar took about 24 hours first time, only 16 second time).

I spend more time on games like Frequency.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I am thouroughly enjoying my copy of Skies of Arcadia for GC. Very very good remake..I wouldn't even consider it a port, many new little differences which makes it seem very fresh. I have about 17 hours already..I'm out a lot though :).

Super Mario RPG..don't get me started..so many good memories..

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I spend way too much time with RPG's.

Final Fantasy VII - 80 hours
Final Fantasy VIII - 85 hours
Final Fantasy IX - 74 hours
FInal Fantasy X - 82 hours

Lunar: Silver Star Complete? - 40 hours

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Dragon Warrior VII...I think I had 70+ hours invested last I checked. Still can't beat the end guy. Not as good as DWIV, but great! That and BG2 (which I just restarted again a few weeks back after a year-long hiatus). FFX sucked up a lot of time, I would have zipped through it more if I knew the ending would be so damn easy. Lunar 2 ate quite a few hours, I am in the prologue and haven't had a chance to finish it...I don't want to add up the # of hours, especially if you start including strategy games (CIV, MOM, MOO2, Heroes 3, etc...)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Final Fantasy 2- approx 100(multiple playthroughs)
FF3- approx 80(multiple playthroughs)
FF5(from Anthology)- 20(did not finish, this game sucks)
FF7- 70 first time, 40 second time
FF8- 55 first time, 60 second time
FF9- 35
FF10- 100 hours, all side quests finished
FFT- 20 hours
Xenogears- 55 first time, 40 second
Breath of Fire- 40
Breath of Fire 3- 40
Morrowind- estimate somewhere between 200 and 300
Secret of Mana- 50+ (multiple playthroughs)
The Seventh Saga- 40
Grandia- 60
Grandia 2- 37
Skies of Arcadia- 55
Star Ocean 2- 30
Suikoden- 28
Suikoden 2- ??? currently playing
Suikoden 3- 70
Lufia 2- 35
Wild Arms- 35
Wild Arms 3- 50(tough to estimate, clock doesn't run in battles)
Chrono Trigger- 30
Crono Cross- 35
Front Mission 3- 65
Kingdom Hearts- 25

I think that's all of them. I've been playing since the SNES days.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
The final fantasy series definately

FFVII - 92.5 hrs All characters maxed out, all quests complete
FFVIII - 98.2 hrs All characters maxed out, all quests complete
FFXI - 90.1 hrs All characters maxed out, all quests complete
FFX - 100+ hrs (not all quest complete, but really close)

Now for the impressive part, I vowed I would play FF 7 before I touched 8, well I let sit for 2 years until I picked up 8 upon release. Well this left a major dilemma, do I keep my vow. or just jump into 8. Well I had 2 weeks off school when 8 came out, and I completed both 7 and 8 in that 2 week time span. 190.2 hrs in 2 weeks, and that doesn't count restarts from dozing off in a battle and having to go back to my last save (sometimes 2 hrs earlier) What a great vacation ; )

Kris

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I played through Final Fantasy 8 once almost entirely in one sitting. I cracked close to the end and eventually went to sleep at around 36 hours in, then woke up and did the side quests over the next few days. I was pretty impressed, although I'd still get pwned by the net cafe Koreans.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
MMMMMM Final Fantasy... ive put in countless hours on all of those games, and add in diablo... heheh now that was fun.

though my crowning achievements are as follows

I beat FFII (american version on SNES) in about 8.5 hours, witht he crystal sword.

and i played Diablo 1 so much that i was running a guild online for a few months and i had a level 47 sorcerer who beat down hacked characters out of boredom... damnt hat was funny when people would whine cause their character with godly plate of the whale died to my level 20 fireballs :D

AlexJ

Agent
I think I spent about 6 months on Xenogears, playing it off and on. It's still my favorite. Romier, you said you played it for about 90 hrs... I read that Xenosaga will have around 80 or so hrs. of gameplay. I think the average is actually supposed to be around 60 or 70 hrs. It's coming out this month, so it won't be long before we get to see how long it actually takes! (Oh boy)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
You're talking about CRPGs (Computer Role Playing Games).

I don't typically play them, because I read for such stories.

When I play a RPG (as in tabletop or live action Role Playing Games), it's more freeform and not regimented/scripted. In an RPG, you can do what you and the other players and gamemaster decide you like. If your reaction to a rude offer is to draw sword or calmly reason or try a bribe, do it. CRPGs limit you to the scripted choices, just like reading one of the old Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novels.

I don't consider my RPG time to be wasted or "used up". I invested it in something that was both fun and enriching. I learned a lot about people and myself by engaging in such games.

;)

AlexJ

Agent
Fair enough, DR... but still, you really should just check out Xenogears - or better yet, Xenosaga when it comes out this month, assuming the story, visuals and music are as fantastic. I say that keeping in mind that, while what you're describing truly IS worthwhile as well, there's something to be said for how far gaming technology has come - insofar as much as games have become like interactive movies; a spectacular visual and auditory experience that allows you to be the main character. I mean, you gotta admit - it would be a shame to completely miss out on what games like Xenogears have to offer the senses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks