How NOT to impress the ladies....and other first impression disasters...:)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jul 3, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, they always say First Impressions are a key thing when meeting or walking by someone new. Here's one humorous one, and one strange one/disaster...

Walking to A and P last night coming back from a fire works display. I'm holding an umbrella in what seems like 25 mph winds since the remnants of Bill are finally getting to our neck of the woods. Anyway, as I step up from the curb, I take a look at two cute ladies to my right, only to find them looking at me strangley as I try to keep my umbrella from blowing away. The wind is literally pulling my hand up and down as I try to keep a grip on it, so it must have looked a bit weird.. As soon as I pass them, I hear, 'shwoop'! The wind blows my umbrella inside out, and I hear a burst of laughter from behind me [​IMG].

So much for first impressions on that one [​IMG].

The other one was a bit weirder. Geeze, I wish I didn't care so much about what complete strangers think of me, otherwise I wouldn't let this bother me so much.

Anyway, I'm sitting at my couch reading a book, and notice someone walking across the street just as they go behind a tree. I think they look familair for some reason, so I wait till they re-emerge, and don't think it's the person I know, so I go back to the book. Later, I'm walking back from lunch in a different area, and I think I see the same person walking on an opposite street. Once again I take a closer looksee to see if it's the person I know, and I still don't think it's the right guy.

FF till last night. I'm walking to said fireworks display, only to see what appears to be someone standing near a fence. I look back to see the fireworks starting, and through the noise in my head phones, I think I hear someone nearby shouting. It looks like the guy near the fence has his back to me shouting to thin air. I look all around the area, trying to see what the commotion is about, only to find nothing. I must have lost concentration and started to listen to the headphones again, and I must have been staring at/around the guy as I walked past him. I only concentrated on what I was looking at again as I passed him, when he was threatening to do what sounded like 'stick my umbrella up my but if I didn't look away'..

Heh, if this dude happens to read this by some thin chance in hell, no offense meant, just a strange series of cuircumstances.

But anyone else have any disasterous/weird first impression encounters like this set? [​IMG]

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I don't see how the umbrella incident reflects badly on you. That's what happens in a strong wind. I doubt the women were laughing because they thought that what your umbrella did meant you were an inferior person, but if they were that shallow, why would you want to know them anyway? Is umbrella handling ability the new gauge of desirability or something?

> I wish I didn't care so much about what complete strangers think of me

I think you should read that sentence 1000 times before you go out.

Just curious- did THEY have umbrellas? If not, maybe you should have been laughing at them for going out in a storm unprepared. [​IMG]

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>I don't see how the umbrella incident reflects badly on you.>

Heh, I didn't think it did. Just found it to be a funny situation that people would get a good laugh at [​IMG].

The second situation was one I aws a bit worried about. Even if it's a compelte stranger, I hate ticking someone off accidentally and like to stay on peoples good side. Butwhen I tend to concentrate on something, like the tape player I was listening too, I tend to zone out and not really focus on anything automatically. Guess it must have spooked the guy out or something..

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Lucky for you, since it doesn't rain much in Vegas. [​IMG]

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I got bit in the ankle by a date's dog walking her from her front door to my car.

It was the first date, and should have been the last.

8. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I was graduating college 20+ years ago and going on my first job interview for an engineering position. I go on the interview which required me to fly to Pittsburgh. I meet the person at the hotel restaurant for breakfast. I order coffee and I pick up a small stainless steel pitcher to put milk in it. I start to pour it into my cup and out comes maple syrup. Talk about embarrassing. I ended up working for another company but I did get a job offer from them, and I've never forgotten that incident.

9. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

You'll defuse any embarrassing situations of this nature by making just one simple line your instinctive, immediate, damage-controlling response. A quick witty response will turn the situation full circle into your favor.
    This is the one I use, and it's very effective whether you're flat on your back or on your ass in the gutter.
    Learn it, use it.

"Soooo...how do you like me so far???"

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Neil
    They were actually laughing at the toliet paper stuck to your shoe....
    I won't mention the zipper thing[​IMG]