How noisy are dvd recorders?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brad Newton, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Is one brand quieter than others? Interested in making a purchase, but not if they are very noisy.

2. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I have the Pioneer 420. Mine makes a slight scraping noise when the HD is recording (and possibly playing, but I don't notice it over the sound of what I'm watching). If the room is very quiet, the sound is audible and a bit annoying. Other than that, very quiet, like when I'm burning to disc.

P.S. Strange -- the word Pioneer automatically turns into some kind of link.

3. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I know that a dvr is noisy, I am wondering about a dvd recorder without a hard drive.

4. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

I also have a Pioneer 420. When I am burning a disk, to date always copying from the HD, the unit doesn't appear to be making any greater amount of noise than any other component I am running. I'm usually watching the tube while burning vs. listening to classical music, that might be more adversely harmed by ANY background noises.

YMMV

PS - strange that "running" became hyperlinked to a non-relevant site .... hmmmmm

5. Jeffrey Taylor

I have the Panasonic w/80 gig hd, and the only sound I can hear, if I put my ear right up to it, is the cooling fan...just a little "whoosh".

6. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

RCA DRC8005N. It is extremely quiet. I haven't really noticed it making any sounds other than the loading and unloading. If the fan has come on, I haven't been able to detect it. If it is very quiet in the room, one can hear a slight clicking sound when the unit is "finalizing" a disc.

It is in an entertainment center; but the Akai DVD player that previously occupied the same space was very loud. Obnoxiously so.

ps, hate the remote!