How Netflix saved me tons of $$$

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Montoya, May 7, 2002.

1. Robert Montoya

[​IMG] I was one those people that bought many DVD's sight unseen. I would generally watch them once and sell them the next week , getting a fraction of what I paid for them. It seemed easier and I would justify it by saying "I can rent if for $3.50 or for $16.00 more I can own it and watch as often as I want.
    Hence the problem (for me any way) A lot of mediocre DVD's that were worth a one viewing only. Then schleping them off to sell them at the local record/video store to sell.
    Then I joined Netfix and everything changed. I started about three months ago and it has been great. I have rented about 25 + movies- all new releases. Many I would have just bought and most of them I would have sold them. Out of the 25 + I did end up buying three. After viewing them I told myself "that's a owner". Instead of paying a $100.00 a month on DVD's I'm paying $20.00 a month and saving shelf room.
    The other great thing is receiving new releases on the day of release. "Waking Life" and "Ocean's 11" arrived today and I have "The Others" and "From Hell" coming next week.
    Thanks Netflix my wallet thanks you and my wife thanks you.

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

3. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

I love Netflix for the same reason. Even more than new releases I love renting older movies. I'm only 25, and there are many, many movies I have yet to see that were released before I was a frequent visitor to the local cineplex. My queue at Netflix is over 400 DVDs long. Just got Seven Samurai and the Magnificent Seven. Going to watch them back to back.

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    So, has NetFlix been getting better then? Because a lot of people who originally signed on and loved it came to be very frustrated with the lack of available titles, long waits, slower turnaround, etc. Has all this improved dramatically?

Also, regarding the "buy-it-sell-it" model, if you're only getting a fraction of what you paid then I'd say you aren't selling in the right places. Use ebay or half.com or Amazon Marketplace and you can often get a pretty high return on your initial investment, sometimes even more than you paid originally if you preordered prudently.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Ever since they opened the new distribution facility near me (in Braintree, MA, I think), the turnaround time has improved so much that this is now the service I always wanted it to be.

They still don't rent a lot of the more obscure titles I'm interested in, and they apparently only have a single copy of many titles they do carry (I've had "very long wait status" on a number of DVDs for nearly a year now), but it beats the hell outta giving money to BLOCKBUSTER, a company that's entirely inimical to our interests (rental pricing windows, pan-and-scan issues, etc.).

6. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I haven't had a single major issue in the 4 months I've been a member. What I was paying in late fees in one month covers my membership alone..plus I'm watching more movies than ever. I absolutely love it and there is no surprise from me that Blockbuster is going to try out a similar membership structure of unlimited rentals for one set monthly fee. I hate Blockbuster. No more lines, no more late fees, no more hassle.[​IMG]

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

My father-in-law signed up with them a little whole ago, but he didn't like it. He normally rents 3-4 movies a week from the local videostore, so he figured netflix would save him some money and be more convenient. However, the turnaround time was about a week (3-4 days to get here, 3-4 days for them to get it back) so he wasn't very happy with it. I believe the distribution center here is in California, so maybe that's the problem. Otherwise it seems like a good idea.

/Mike

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I live in the same city as Netflix and I get my movie the day after it is shipped. That's nice! I have been a member for a year now and have watched lot's of movies. sves me time and money. Sometimes they still have a slow turnaround and it seems there is always a wait for the newer movies but I have lot's of movies on my list so I just work it out so my next movie is available now.

I didn't know they opened distribution facilities in other cities. That makes it much better for some of you on the east coast. It simply wasn't worth it for east coast resident's before.

I love Netflix, it's great!

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

They opened one here in Duluth as well. A couple of weeks ago I got a movie the same day they shipped it. It's usually a 2 day turnaround since they opened the center.

But another problem has cropped up that I've never had before and I've used Netflix for over 2 years. In the last 3 weeks I've had 4 movies ship and then be returned and checked in without me ever getting them. Netflix claims this is a post office problem and they can't do anything about it. But even with this happening 3 times last month, I still received 15 DVD's so I guess I cant' really complain, I'm definitely getting my money's worth. It's just frustrating to think you're going to get a certain movie and then it doesn't arrive.

11. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

I've been a long time Netflix user (since '99) and I love it. I have the AFI Top 100 Movies in my queue (counting down). I would never be able to do this without them since BlockBuster doesn't carry a lot of the classics.

12. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I used Netflix way back early on, before they even went to an all-subscription model. Back then there were several "get 4 free rental" coupons floating around. Anyway, I generally liked the service.

At one point I discovered that the movies stopped being shipped from California and were coming from Greensburg, PA, only 5 miles from home!! I was getting them in only one day. But I think they stopped that some time later. Then I started seeing all the negative reports about their performance.

So where can I see a list of their current distribution centers? The website doesn't have this information. Also, I can't even see any pricing details on the website. What's up with that?

13. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

While I love Netflix, I had to cancel last month because the ever-so-reliable USPS consistently lost a bunch of rented DVDs that I had mailed back. Oh well, I hope everyone has better luck.

14. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

This is their pricing:

Netflix Service Ultimate (8 out)

For the ultimate at-home selection of DVDs at an incredible value, choose our Ultimate Program. It lets you have 8 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $39.95.

Netflix Service Plus (5 out)

Ideal for members who want a larger selection of DVDs at home, our Plus Program lets you have 5 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $29.95.

Netflix Service Bonus (4 out)

With variety, value and an extra movie, our Bonus Program lets you have 4 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $24.95.

Netflix Service Standard (3 out)

Enjoyed by the majority of our members, our popular Standard Program lets you have 3 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $19.95.

Netflix Service Lite (2 out)

Affordable, convenient and perfect for the occasional renter, our Lite Program lets you have 2 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $13.95.

Note that the # Out means how many you can have out at one time. For example, if you have the 8 movies deal, they ship you 8 movies when you first sign up. So if you watch 2 over the weekend and mail them back on Monday, they will then send the next 2 in your queue. It's not 8 out per month, it's 8 out at any one time.

15. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

16. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Steven-

They've opened up several facilities along the East coast. I'm now receiving my DVDs primarily from their Duluth, GA facility. At first the "released to ship" times seemed a bit longer than before, but the last title was actually shipped the same day it was "released to ship", so maybe they've worked the wrinkles out. I received a title on Monday that they had shipped on Friday, so that's not too bad (but I also received a title on Monday they had shipped on Wednesday). It's nice to see them expand the number of warehouses, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you will always receive a title from your nearest facility, as they may not have your #1 title in stock that day. Their computer inventory system must be very complex! But still, more locations is a better thing than fewer locations, and I believe they're aiming for even more locations. They clearly want to corner the DVD rental by mail market.

Steve K.

17. Lanny Hoff

Lanny Hoff Stunt Coordinator

Gotta echo the positive comments.

They now have a depot in Minneapolis, and I routinely get my titles one day after they are released to ship. I sent back three movies on a Saturday and received all three replacements the following Tuesday.

Nice!

18. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I've used Netflix for about 2 years. It has been great up until the last 3 months. I keep a large que but I am finding frequent waits for more and more movies. Not necessarily current releases or movies you would normally consider very popular. I even sent in a comment about this to Netflix. Not much of a response though. Still beats going to BlockBuster, which I absolutely refuse to do. Albertson's has some great bargins ($0.99 on Mondays) but inventory is minimal.

19. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

I've been wondering when they were going to open up more distribution centers. Funny thing is it seems to me that lately dvds have been taken longer to get to me than they ever did. Strange. I've been using them since 12/99 and it definitely was better back then as far as titles being available to ship and I was paying $16 for 4 discs then. I believe I'm only paying $20 for 4 discs now so I guess I can't complain too much. It is definitely a very worth while service.

20. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I have the best of both worlds - there is a local Hollywood that is renting everything in the store for $1 for 5 days, so I get all my new releases and other easy to find films there, and I use netflix for things like obscure movies and catalog films they wont be getting.

Im on the 4 out at a time plan and i typically can get 20 or so a month, in addition to the stack i rent every five days at hollywood -

The only things im really inclined to buy are TV sets now and a few movies - in the last month ive gotten just Life as a House, All in the family, Nixon, and getting Oceans 11 and of COURSE Legend ;-)