What's new

How my wallet was taken (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
and I am pissed.

Well, I've got to vent. Thanks to the HTF After Hours area, I guess I've got a place to do it.

Tonite my wife and I went out to dinner. I am a very wallet-conscious person, especially away from home and work. I have a little 'nervous' habit. Whenever I go to a restaurant, I take my wallet out and check it to make sure that I have it, and to ensure that I have cash/cards to make the proper payment.

I was doing this tonite as my wife decided that our table was too cold; we were sitting directly under an air vent and cold A/C was blowing directly on us. She asked the server if we could change tables. He found us a good one about 30 feet away. This happened right at the time I was checking my wallet.

After we ate, I realized my wallet was gone. Then I realized that I had pulled it out to check it at our original table. I trotted right over to the original table, and realized that somebody had eaten there. Yep, I checked with the people sitting at the adjacent tables and with the server, and discovered that a young couple had been seated there after us...and that they had eaten rather quickly (WAY faster than we did, and we didn't dawdle), and then left. I smiled at the server with a knowing look in my eye, and said "well, I'm sure they paid cash, right?"

Yeah, they paid cash all right. Probably my cash. But regardless, they certainly wouldn't want to pay with a card and leave any kind of trail.

No, I know what I did. I distinctly remember pulling my wallet out, and checking the cards for the metallic flash of my platinum charge plate.

To this 'earnest looking' (as the server described them), very-fast-eating, cash-paying young couple:

A pox on you. May the wheel of Karma roll right back around and run over your sorry asses. Fuck you.

As time passes, I find myself increasingly disillusioned with the nature of the general populace.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
A pox on you. May the wheel of Karma roll right back around and run over your sorry asses. Fuck you.
Aw, now that's not very nice. They'll slip up and get caught. They'll run, of course, trying to escape in a high speed chase with the cops. Naturally, they'll crash and die a horrible, horrible fiery death on live TV.

And you'll feel rotten about sending them bad karma. So take it back right now and forgive them--for they know not what they do (they're no-good dumbasses, after all).

Chris Lock

Second Unit
Try this nervous habit- keep your wallet in your pocket & pat the pocket to make sure the wallet's there. Much harder to lose it that way.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
chris:

i seemed to have gotten into this exact habit over the year. whenever i walk around in a crowd, i'm constantly tapping my back pocket with my wrist to feel if my wallet is still there. dunno where i picked up the habit but i haven't lost my wallet in public ever since doing it.

kevin t

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
whenever i walk around in a crowd, i'm constantly tapping my back pocket with my wrist to feel if my wallet is still there.
Whenever I'm going to be in a crowd, my wallet goes in my front pocket.

Nobody's gonna lift it from there, plus...you don't have to tap it; you can feel it against your leg.

Jon

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I virtually always keep my wallet in my front pocket. Taking it out to check my cards/cash while seated (and allowing myself to get distracted at the same time) is what bit me in the ass.

Frankly, I should just check to make sure my wallet is there. I've never lost a credit card from my wallet.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I always slap my ass to check for my wallet, friends always wonder what I'm really doing though, haha. Havn't it lost it yet (knock on wood).

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Since no one has said it already, I'm sorry for your loss.:frowning: I wish you bountiful patience as you try to replace things. (especially at DMV to get a new license)

bruce townley

Stunt Coordinator
I, too "tap" my wallet constantly to ensure it is still there. A few years ago, I read an article that suggested you take everything out of your wallet and make a photocopy, (front and back) so if you lose it, then you can immediately call all the numbers to cancel the credit cards, etc. While I have not had to use this suggestion (knock on wood)I keep a copy of everything in my wallet. Not a bad suggestion.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Of course, it does let the pickpockets know where you're keeping it, too...
Not unless you develop the baseball coach's signalling system and pat every pocket on you, including your shirt and jacket.
I have always kept my wallet in my front pockets. So if you see me on the streets and want my wallet, then it's in one of the front pockets... :D
Michael, maybe you can get their fingerprints from the cash if it's not too late, which it problably is by now..
Jay

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
Take a tip from someone who has had their wallet (filled with $1800 cash, no less) lifted right out of their back pocket: NEVER, EVER put your wallet in your back pocket.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I ALWAYS put my wallet in my front pocket.
Yikes! I can't even imagine what that would feel like. I just got a shiver. I'll stick to the right-rear pocket thanks. However, I do not put cash into my wallet.
My front pockets are for keys, lighter, cash, and change.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Cash? What the hell is that?

The only time I ever have more than $20 "cash" in my pocket is when I'm in Ls Vegas or the local gaming house, Pechanga, which is very nice, I must say. My miniscual wad goes in the front pocket or maybe even in the sock. My wallet contains a debit card, work place badge, one credit card (for emergencies), driver license and my health insurance card. Even with those bare necessities, it's too bulky for the front pocket most of the time.

Today's baggy drooping pants are the perfect target for pick pockets. Matter of fact, I think it's the pick pockets that started and encouraged this fashion trend. I must admit, the only reason I haven't been a target is luck. I'm sure the average pick pocket could get mine if he wanted to. I bet a good pick pocket could get most of your wallets, even if it's in the front pocket unless you wear your pants skin tight.

I've seen some younger guys that have their wallet chained to their pants. I've also heard that some peope put rubber bands around their wallets to thwart pick pockets.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
As time passes, I find myself increasingly disillusioned with the nature of the general populace.
I'm agree whole heartedly with that. However, I did a good deed yesterday. Somebody in front of me in line at the store dropped some of their cash, they didn't notice, so I pointed it out to them.
And I always keep my wallet in my front pocket. I find it far more comfortable, as I can't stand sitting on it. I've never had it stolen either.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
My rule - NEVER keep money in your wallet. Thats what your front pockets are for! Get yourself a money clip (standard or magnetic) to give your green paper a little more "heft". The only thing in my wallet are credit cards, ID and receipts.
BTW, one of the reasons I love Land's End dress twills is because they have a small pocket inside the front right-side pocket. Its a perfect place for stashing your cash. Even an experienced pickpocket would play hell grabbing your $$$$ out of there.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm really sorry to hear that Michael. If it had been me I would have been out for blood. Some might say 'it's just a wallet' but I take it as a personal violation and an insult from a person who obviously cares very little about other people.

>>As time passes, I find myself increasingly disillusioned with the nature of the general populace.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Point of the story: I worry that this type of behavior is becoming more and more normal with each generation
It is. The little punks in my neighborhood do similar things. They have yet to yell at me - and woe to the little shit who does, because I'll get out of the car and hold his punk ass down while I wait for the police to arrive. They do, however, stand in the road and refuse to move. Every time. Just the other day, I was heading down the street to see a friend. Within about 500 feet of each other, there are FOUR basketball hoops at four different houses, all of them setup IN THE STREET. They don't move them - they're constantly there. So this little punk (maybe 12 years old?) iis shooting hoops by himself. I get closer and he keeps playing, right there in the middle of the road. Eventually, I am forced to come to a complete stop. Just when I think he's out of the way and I can go again, he glares at me and shoots another basket! He starts to chase the ball and I begin driving. I had to drive within a couple feet of him - I'm surprised I didn't hit him with side mirrors - because the little shit wouldn't get out of the way. And the whole time, he's glaring at and making faces at me.
Not an hour later my buddy and I are driving back in his car and there are four or five kids (ages 7-10, roughly) playing in the road. We approach, they all turn to look at us, and just keep on playing! We start to pass one of them and he turns his bike right into our path of travel. My buddy laid on the horn and just continued moving. Faced with being hit (I think he would have actually hit them), they moved, and again glared at him as if he had no right to be driving his car on the road.
:angry: When I was that age, if I saw or heard a car coming, I RAN to the side of the road and waited. I knew better. Had I stood there and refused to move my father would have beat my little ass into submission, and I would have deserved it. At least in my (middle class) neighborhood, the parents don't care. Hell, they're nowhere to be found. I see toddlers in diapers playing in the street from time to time all by themselves! Makes me want to call child protective services...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks