What's new

How my SVS scared me to death via Monsters Inc. Waterfall PLZ!! (1 Viewer)

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Out of curiosity I played the Monsters Inc teaser on the Toy Story 2 DVD just a while ago, and had to write about it. I put at reference and let it rip.

That door knocking almost made me fall out of the couch. My system (all calibrated with no hot sub setting at all) nearly broke the house up. I could hear every wall screaming in pain. This is bass you can feel! I think my house will probably break B4 my sub does. It didn't want to bottom out no matter how hard I tried.

I have a SV 20-39+ with an old Kenwood amp, and I didn't realize it could move me in such a way. I then played the first 5 minutes of TS2 at the same level, and was easily reaching 110+ db at my listening position with my SPL meter in hand. Wow! Such fun, this hobby is.

TomV, any chance we could get a waterfall of that Monsters Inc. teaser? I'm interested in how low that thing goes. I can't wait for the DVD release of that film, as I haven't seen it yet in the theater.

Cheers,

Troy

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Troy,

Indeed the first few minutes of Toy Story 2 is something of a reference standard around SVS. It's always the first scene I put on after doing an initial calibration of a new sub.

And I can never resist stopping at Monsters Inc. on the way to scene one. The pounding of the door in that teaser is one of the pieces of LFE recording that separates the real subs from the pretenders. Your room SHOULD be shaking. There are MONSTERS pounding on the door! (When they fall on the floor you should feel that too)

If you hear a polite knocking, it's time to upgrade your sub in my book ;^)

I'll see what I can do to bend Tom's arm and get that waterfall (might need two, one for the door and one for the floor) up on the site. It's not like it takes much convincing to get Tom to instrument an LFE track. ;^0

Ron

RajeeK

Second Unit
WOW. First time I listed to that Monsters Intro with my dual 16-46+'s OH MY GOD, I really was shocked how my place shook....made the wife mad, so I knew it was one hell of a great piece. Clearly a great demo piece with a sub that can handle it.

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
Troy, I had never listened to the Monsters Inc. trailer before that loud. So after reading your post I popped it in and cranked the volume up to reference level and I couldn't believe that door knocking scene, WOW!:D
My whole house shook!
Thanks for the tip
Steve

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Troy, I've been telling people that for months!! I always Demo that scene when showing off my subs. SVS needs to add that to there manuels for testing your sub. :D
Craig

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Is there a difference between the box set TS2 and the sold individually TS2? I just tried the Monsters Inc trailer with my system at 5dB under reference with the sub running serveral dB hot. It was some good clean loud thumps, but nothing that caused the walls to scream and nothing compared to the THX ball explosion on TPM, the green ball on Iron Giant or the helicopter explosion in the Matrix.

The Haunting door knocks around "coming mother" now that made my walls scream.

Joe-T

Stunt Coordinator
I would also be interested in seeing a waterfall on the Monsters Inc. trailer for the "Knock". The overall sound wasn't too surprising - it sounded like a typical lound knock and it didn't really startle me. However, what did sound impressive was that all my walls and pictures were rattling. Therefore, I wonder how much really low (around 20Hz) information is encoded in the effect.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I like that clip because the two monsters remind me of Ron and me,

I'll measure the monsters inc. intro on TS2 tonight...I just remeasured 30 or so clips last weekend and should be able to get another 30 or so tonight(buy stock in vivarin).

I'm using the lastest 4.32 1/96th octave version of spectraplus now...so the new waterfalls look about 100x better than the current ones on the svs site.

Any other requests?

TV

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Yeah, which one IS which???

Just cuz I have one eye??? Is that it? Huh?

Oh right, make fun of that why don't ya!

;^)

Ron

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've been meaning to mention this one for a while. An amazingly percussive bass scene is the one in the DTS The Haunting where Nell gets knocked out of bed by a huge "Boom" and then gets chased down the hall while it crumbles after her. This one sounds the most intense to me of any on the disc,I think it's in ch. 17.

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

That scene you speak of is out of control! I was attempting to play this near reference and my Sub Amp simply shut down completely at this volume right after she got thrown out of bed. There is so much LFE in that part. I don't think it is as low, as it is loud! The only other time my sub amp shut down was during reference level listening to the Arizona being blown up in Pearl Harbor. That is some intense bass that I would also like to see on a waterfall chart. There is almost dead silence as one awaits the explosion, and then....BAM!!

I wonder if I may be damaging my sub or amp by listening at a level that causes my amp to shut down in protection mode. Like I said, this only happened twice, but it DID happen and boy was it loud when it did.

Troy

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, unbreakable had some really cool bass. Very nice in some important regards which I'll go into detail about once we get all the new JPGs up.

TV

Bob U

Stunt Coordinator
It was some good clean loud thumps, but nothing that caused the walls to scream and nothing compared to the THX ball explosion on TPM, the green ball on Iron Giant or the helicopter explosion in the Matrix.
I have been using this scene (the helicopter crash in Matrix) as one test on the EQ'ing of my subs and though it has some impact, it doesn;t seem to be anything like other people describe here. My sub curve is reasonably smooth with about an 8dB rise from 90-20z.

Can someone tell me where the energy in this scene is centered so I can try a little more tweaking?

Thanks!

-=Bob=-

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
I've been fortunate enough to view the dvd for Monsters Inc. because my buddy works for the foreign press. Although I'm sure that the mass release will be an improved copy, I must say that I was blown away when I saw and heard this dvd. This movie looks so wonderful, and the colors were very crisp and vibrant. But enough enough of that, how about the bass!!??
There were atleast 6 scenes in the movie that took my 2039CS to its limits (but not past them ;)). Examples include the time where a monster sneezes fire onto a newspaper (my poor dog jumped a foot off the ground), when the big bird crosses the street while they were walking to work, when the baby cries at their apartment (I can't wait to hear other peoples reactions to this one), and when the agents in yellow gear blow up the sock that was on the monsters back.I now use this movie and TPM for bass demo purposes. I can't wait to get my upgraded driver so that I can compare.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Just cuz I have one eye??? Is that it? Huh?
Ron. Better change your smiley face to:
*^)
:D
Bob "Sitting here with a 20-39 in the living room and haven't been able to hear it yet because my system is torn apart and not working while I wait for the Outlaw 950. Sigh" L.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks