How much would this setup set me back? (also other sound system questions)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisDumont, Jul 12, 2003.

1. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

Ok, I'm pretty interested in this setup, just wondering how much it would set me back? (now dont think I just have no limit on money, I do have a limit but it can always change since I can always save up for a few more months if needed, of course eventually it would get ridiculous if I have to save for a year just to purchase a sound system)

2 Connoisseur C-9
    2 C-3 bookshelf
    C-C3 centre speaker
    2 CR3 surround speakers
    Paradigm PS-1200 subwoofer

The speakers are all Energy brand. Now for that kind of cost, is this setup highly recommended? Or can I get better sound for cheaper? Or is this overkill and I dont need such massive speakers? What would be the best/cheapest place to buy them? My local store or is there a better place online? Oh and for 7.1 sound, is there a website that can show me the perfect places to place my speakers for optimum sound, and whats the best thing to get to get the best sound out of my speakers? If you recommended another setup, if the Denon AVR-3803 is not powerful/ not recommended for it, please post the receiver as well. Thx guys

2. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I have the 3803 and ran a similiar setup:

Front L/R: C-7's
    Surrounds: C-1's
    Center: C-C3
    Sub: S8.2

I really like the performance of the C-7's, great musical speaker. Same for the C-1's, I was so happy with it I have a pair in my bedroom. I originally had the C-C1 center but thought it was a little muted to my ears, the C-C3 is nice step up and worth it.

I was very happy with them but my wife didnt like the looks of them so I went with some Def Tech speakers. If I had a bigger place with a seperate HT room I have kept the Energy's but I am very happy with the Def Techs. That setup would really rock and is a good value for what it would cost. The 3803 will handle that nicely. If you auditioned the spekaers and were happy than thats the most impostant thing.

3. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

I really feel that the energys are a great value. Our local dealer is pretty flexible on his pricing and with what he offers you really can't go wrong. I feel like they are speakers that definetly out perform their price range. Also, I'd be interested to hear the new CC3 center speaker as I always felt the old one lacked just a bit. If you've had a chance to listen to these speakers and like what you hear I think you will be more than happy with them for a time to come.

I haven't had any personal experience with that subwoofer, but I'd at least recommend looking at the SVS subwoofers everyone raves about. From a sheer price:performance standpoint they are outstanding. Independent of price they are also outstanding.

4. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

would the best place to purchase these be online or my local store? How much do you think my setup that I mentioned above would cost me?

5. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Not many places carry Energy speakers online, try doing a web search to find any. Ebay is another place to look if used is ok for you.

Full retail for that shoudl run about $4500 (which includes the reciever). Since your buying everything at once you should be able to get 10% - 20% off. I know one of my Energy dealers always gives 20% off no matter how much or little I am buying.

And I would consider an SVS sub, best bang for your buck.

6. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

is there different models of the SVS subwoofer (if there is, which one would you recommend)? And do you think I could get it at the same place I would buy my Energy speakers?

7. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't say if you are in Canada or US (I am assuming US)

From everything I've heard or read SVS is your best value by far, they are online only. If you are considering a Paradigm SUB stay away from the PS seriews. The PW 2200 blows them away for not much more $

How big is your room?

Do you really NEED 7.1?

If not you could get a Nice 5.1 setup, spend a bit more on sub get the C7s rather than C( and pick up a Rotel RSX 1055 and amp or 1066 amp combo or even an outlaw combo.

8. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

well I do live in Canada [​IMG] Though I dont know how to change it so it says where I'm from. Anyways I dont 'need' 7.1 but right now I do have a 5.1 Kenwood HTB-505 system and would like the biggest jump in quality as possible. My room is fairly small as I still live at home (only 17), though I do want something that will last me for quite some time, also when I eventually move out I would like to take it with me so I dont know how large the room would be. The SVS, is it better than the Paradigm? Which site would I purchase it from? Now the C7's, are they much different than the C9's? Worth the extra cash? My knowledge of sound systems is a little limited, what is the outlaw combo? Now amps are pretty costly, but would they be better than the Denon 3803 receiver? And which website would I purchase it from, or can I get it at my local dealer? Thx

Oh and how much would that set me back?