1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

How much would an Amp help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sanjiva, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Sanjiva

Sanjiva Agent

I am running Yammy RXV-1200 with Def Tech Procinema 100 system. Using Toshiba - 4700 as the DVD/CD player. The HT is fantastic but the 2 channel music could be better.

I am just looking for what would add the maximum bang for the buck to improve the quality of 2 channel music. I am thinking of adding a 2 channel Amp. Would that help a lot? How is Yammy as a processor? Which Amp would be a good choice?

Or, should I go for a receiver upgrade or a DVD/CD player upgrade instead?

Basically, any idea on improving the 2 channel music.

Thanks,

Sanjiva

2. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

I too am curious about the receiver/amp upgrade combo, so if anyone has opinions, and i am sure that many do, please chime in....

3. David Sanchez

I own a Yammy 3000. The reason I went with the 3000 was it use Burr-Brown processors for the front L/R speakers. This was a tremendous improvement in sound quality over cheaper Yammy's that did not the Burr-Brown DAC's.
    Unfortunatlely you will never reach music nirvana with HT receiver. My suggestion to go with a decent 2 channel amp.
    Of course that opens up a whole other can of worms...which one to buy??
    Based on the speakers you are using, I assume you are using a sub for low-freq? Not sure how that will work if you go with a 2-channel amp for music. What kind of music do you listen to?

4. Sanjiva

Sanjiva Agent

Yes, I am using Def Tech Pro Sub100 as the subwoofer.

Will the amp really improve the audio quality is what I wanted to know from people who have done lots of upgrades. If it does not because of limited capability of the receiver pre/pro itself, I would spend the money on other components - CD player or the speakers themselves.

Apart from the 2 channel music performance, I am very very happy with the system as such.

5. David Sanchez

Depending on which amp you buy...yes! For music most people use seperates, preamp/amp and two very good speakers.
    I use a Denon 3600 and POA-5200 amp. I also have a Denon 370 CD player and Boston VRM -60 Speakers. I went with this setup because I wanted a system dedicated to music. I don't normally listen to music through my HT.

You can get a pretty good deal on a two channel amp. Check out audioreview.com for some ideas.

6. Mikey N

Mikey N Auditioning

In general, having a separate 2 channel amp will make a difference when listening in stereo. I currently have a Rotel 1055 5-channel receiver, and added a Conrad-Johnson 2 channel amp to drive my B&W 602s3. The sound difference was truly amazing and definitely worth the upgrade price.
    Just my $0.02 worth.

Michael

7. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

A 2 channel amp will help, but, you are always going to be limited by the Yamaha as the pre. Based on my experience, the preamp is just as important as the amp for music. If you want to keep things relatively affordable, you could also consider a 2 channel integrated amp with HT bypass, if possible.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, if you want opinions...

Save the money for 2 better speakers.

The speakers are the most important part of your system in terms of sound-quality, not tons of power.

The ProCinema monitor speakers are great for a budget set. But they are not really considered accurate/audiophile grade. They were designed to surround you with an array of 5 speakers for movies. Not take tons of power to 2 speakers to simulate a concert hall at high volume.

The Yamana 1200 receiver is a solid mid-fi receiver. The power it provides is several "grades" above what the ProCinema speakers require. Since your existing amplification is already superior to your speakers, adding a external amp is redundant IMHO.

My advice:

As people grow into audio, they eventually leave behind cone-style speakers and move into panel/electrostatics. These things have a HUGE radiating surface which translates into lots of detail/accuracy. Magnapan will sell you a pair of
    Magnapan MMG Speakers for $550.

So I'd save money for these before a power amp for 2 channel music.

Hope this helps.

9. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Bob is right. Speakers are the key, however, driving Magnapan speakers using a Yamy receiver and Toshiba DVD player as the source will just reveal the problems in the upstream components with better speakers. Then of course you will have the problem with front main speakers that don't match the rest of your speakers. With that in mind, do you have the space and resources for a seperate music system? That is the best approach. If the answer is no, which it is for most people, things can get tricky and expensive.

First off, verify that the receiver has preouts that allows for seperate amps. If it does, getting a decent 2 channel amp would be the first step (and Bob is right that the Yamy probably does have enough juice for your current speakers). Next, adding a Sony TA-P9000es analog preamp would give you a very good analog preamp that will work with your existing home theater (assuming you have preouts). The P9000es is about $450 and you should be able to find a good decent used amp for under $300. Thats some pretty good cash and we haven't even looked at sources (or speaker upgrades yet).

If you do it in steps like I address above, you may be satisfied after any of the steps and feel no need to continue. You should also see improvement which each step.

10. Sanjiva

Sanjiva Agent

Thanks Bob and Charles,

I really appreciate your suggestions. I agree that adding an amp with the current speakers may not give me as much of an upgrade in sound quality as speaker upgrades would.

So, the first step would definitely be to upgrade the speakers. Would adding an amp after that with Yammy as a pre/pro help much or I am limited by Yammy's capability? With the new speakers, would changing the transport to a better DVD player help a lot or it would be very marginal?

Thanks for all your help.

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

12. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

You want better speakers for better music performance.

Once you get better mains, you will then be able to evaluate whether you want another amp or not. Spending your money on speakers now or soon will lead to the most improvement in 2-channel sound quality for your money.

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think there are several things you can look at if you're displeased with your 2 channel music. Unless I missed it, you didn't get into what the nature of your disatisfaction was so I can only speculate.
    My initial gut reaction is to weigh in with different speakers. Whether they're something like the ones Bob suggested or something different, that's only something you can determine based upon your budget and room. I'd certainly consider postponing purchasing speakers until you get a reasonable amount of cash together otherwise you may fall into the vicious Paradigm, Rocket, etc. circle wherein you buy...listen for a while...find they really don't cut it, sell at a loss...and repeat the process.
    Perhaps, as a temporary stopgap which may or may not increase your musical satisfaction, consider adding a tube based device into your current signal path such as something from Behringer. Cost is in the low one hundreds and likely available locally. Like it keep it, don't return for full refund.
    Adding amps, a different receiver, whatever isn't going to address the major issue: speakers. This might help for a while.