How much would a ported box for a tempest cost, for everything but Tempest and amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Hsu, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Being a student here, I have very little time to find the sonotube I want...hopefully I'll find something over break or the summer. But in the meantime, I've had a PE 250W amp and Adire Tempest sitting in my closet for months now, getting no use. So I was wondering how much it would cost for the MDF, screws, glue and terminal cap (did I miss anything?) for a standard box, just to use for now. I say that it's temporary, because the sonotube would take up less space, and I like that look more.

I'm sure that I can find the directions online, and that the construction shouldn't be that difficult. Lastly, how much time would a very basic box take to construct? Just a day or two?

Thanks for your help...I'm really sick of not feeling that down-low "oomph"...my Paradigm Monitor 9s are pretty well broken in now, and the bass is great, but it's still not enough.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The MDF will cost around $15 - $20. Then i'd recommend a tube of liquid nails ($6-$8) and using clamps, not screws. If you have the other tools needed to cut your holes and the port or port material, that should be all you need for a fully functional un-finished (aesthetically) box. By mounting the amp to the box you save yourself the need for a terminal cup w/ binding posts.

A basic box can most likely be built in 2 days with one night for the glue to dry and only an hour or two the second day for final assembly. This is assuming you have all the needed tools (table saw, router/jig saw).

Hope this helps and good luck [​IMG]

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

You'll need 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF. It will be approx $20 per sheet at a store like Home Depot.

Then I'd buy a box of screws and use wood glue for assembly. If you can afford it, some ppl use clamps and liquid nails (strong flexible wood glue).

I would use the plans at the Adire website. Perhaps an adire alignment box will suit you. Other parts you'll need in that case is two 3" diameter flared ports available at Partsexpress for about $12 each and a binding post terminal which runs about $4.

I'd leave a budget of $100-150 for materials because there are other items you may need such as:

interconnect
    Speaker wire
    Paint/primer
    bondo/wood filler
    hardwood legs
    polyester fiberfill ($6-7 per 5lb bag at walmart)

That's pretty much it I think. Tools that may come in handy:

table saw, jigsaw (for driver/port cutouts), drill, and clamps.

4. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

MDF is so heavy....

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

DO NOT use Liquid Nails for the box assembly. Titebond carpenters glue will create a much more solid joint. You don't want a flexible joint on a box like this.

Also, MDF may be heavy, but unless you're willing to spend around $55 for a single 5x5 sheet of baltic birch then I'd stick with the MDF.

6. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Alternatively, Parts Express sells the kits to build your own box, painted, with spikes, and grille.

I think it goes for $150. Looks very well braced and built. It's made out of 1" MDF.

Take care!

7. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

mine when it was all said and done was around 120 bucks but thats because i splurged for hardwood glueblocks on all the joints, that alone was over 60 bucks :b but i am happy with my results

8. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

heh.....thanks for the input everybody. I'll probably go with MDF, and I want this one to be as cheap as possible...I already have the interconnect ready, along with the speaker wire, so pretty much all I need is the MDF, terminal cup, port(s), glue, clamps...

As for the clamps, does anybody have a website that shows how the clamps are used? I can't recall seeing a guide that used clamps. Thanks again all.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Where's Ronnie Ferrel when you need him? He's got an insane page for his sub box construction with tons of clamped MDF on it.

I also have one boxed sub I did (it's on my DIY Project page in my signature below), called the SBS with plenty of pix of clamped MDF. Just use your noggin when you do the gluing and clamping.

10. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Aha! Someone who can benefit from my recent project experience. [​IMG] I just put up the updates to my web page with construction pics (including some clamping). Let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.geocities.com/needfiles1/ (and go to the SUB page)

11. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

[C][​IMG]
    Creative clamping at its best!
    ([​IMG]Courtesy of Ronnie's House of Clamp-o-rama[​IMG])
    [/C]

Here is a link to my over-kill pictorial documentation of a 122L sealed tempest build. Hope you have a fast internet connection and some time... [​IMG]

Clamping can be seen on these pages:

http://www.meettheferrells.com/tempe...ct/index_8.htm
    http://www.meettheferrells.com/tempe...ct/index_9.htm
    http://www.meettheferrells.com/tempe...t/index_10.htm
    http://www.meettheferrells.com/tempe...t/index_11.htm
    http://www.meettheferrells.com/tempe...t/index_12.htm

rf

12. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Do you really need... all those clamps???

Superb work!

13. Ronnie Ferrell

14. Ronnie Ferrell

15. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

You just had to show me up didn't you Ronnie.... [​IMG]

OK, so next time I build I'll use my bro's SLR camera and get something really good.... lighting, filters... I'll show you! :p) . But in the meatime, I definetely agree that you need as many clamps as you can get your hands on. I picked up 4 of those 36" squeeze-grip clamps at Canadian Tire for like 8 or 9 bucks each on sale, and I wish I got more. I did mine in several stages and calamped the hell out of it wherever I could.

16. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Seeing as this is only a temporary box until you get the Sonotube, you don't need to use any clamps if you don't want to. Just glue and screw is all you'll need. Make sure you drill all holes before screwing though, and try and keep the screws in the middle of the MDF, and away from any edges - especially when screwing into "end grain". Screws are much cheaper than clamps, and seeing as you won't be finishing it, won't cause any difficulties later on.

If your goal is to keep it cheap, go with a sealed enclosure - no port to buy! Ofcourse, if you design it for the same volume as you're final sonutube version, you can use the port designed for that too.

17. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Well it seems I've found the sonotube, but two problems:

It's in Illinois, I'm in Michigan.
    I have to buy 8', whereas I only need 4'.

So, unless I can find someone to share it with around here, I'll just be dreaming some more...at least I know it's getting closer...

"something's coming, something good..."

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Screw all them clamps! Gimme a nail gun! [​IMG]