How much woofer for my HT?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ron_C, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

Hi,
    I will be building my own sub for my HT. I am wondering just how much woofer I need for my room size. The HT is 11.5' x 18' x 7' and is a dedicated HT with acoustical treatments on all the walls. My limitations on the sub size is 15.5 in depth. It can be as wide or tall as it needs to be. Would a downfiring Shiva 12" be enough for this room in a 5 cubic foot enclosure(modified EBS Alignment)? Or do I need to go with front firing 15" tempest? I love bass and really want to feel it, but wondering if the 15" is overkill. And due to my depth limitations, it would have to be front firing. I will be using a 250 watt PE plate amp. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ron

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Either a Tempest or Shiva should work in that room just fine. If you are changing the Adire plans remember to thoroughly brace the enclosure.

3. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

GrahamT,
    Thanks for the reply. I keeping the bracing the same as the adire plans, but just changing the lengths to match the new enclosure size.

Thanks,
    Ron

4. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Ron,

I think I Shiva would be plenty for your size room. I am running a Dayton 15" Quatro, which can move roughly the same amount of air as a Shiva. My room is considerably larger (almost twice), and I have more output than is strictly necessary. [​IMG] Of course, at higher volumes the Tempest will still provide lower distortion, but a vented Shiva will definitely provide plenty of output and extension.

Aaron Gilbert

5. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

Tempest.. You'll be glad you did...

6. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I think you might want to think in terms of how loud you want very low frequencies. Personally, if I know there are 16hz freqs in a movie or music, I want to hear(actually feel) those low freqs at the same db level as a 30hz freq. Definately go with the Tempest or better.

Is there any way you can build an IB(Infinite Baffle) sub? This an easy way to get very powerful, clean bass for cheap.

My IB can produce 16hz at 100db using two 15" subs and the PE 250 plate amp. Room size 18'x26'x9'. Nothing more satisfying, well almost, than when the the floor joists bounce.[​IMG]