What's new

How much will Receivers change by this fall? Next spring? Infinite time? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Actually I see 8 speakers minimum for the future (3 for LCR fronts, pair of sides, and 3 LCR rears so the sounds will pan more precisely and will end the debate of putting rears side or behind), and at least 4 subs being standard in 10 years (so all the boomy bass heads now days being able to get the bass dosage that they'll want). This is assuming that the TV will still be on one side of the room all viewers being herded somewhat toward the middle of the room.

If TV becomes 3D/holographic then I think that there will be nine speakers with one in each corner, speaker setup between each of them, and a center speaker from the center of the room will allow all to sit around the presented format and have the sounds pan appropriate for all viewers.

The sad fact with the advancement of this technology that the quality of the presentation will be lacking as to fit all these speakers that most people will make the compromise of having inferior sounding, SAF accepting, and small speakers, and source mix catered more to the immediate pop arts than the longer lasting true arts that will most likely be mixed improperly and played mostly on low resolution systems (this is evidenced by seeing the purchase of Bose, popularity of pop boy/girl/rap acts, mp3s being more popular than SACD/DVD-A, and improper mixing of current music tracks with clipped signals/poor dynamics by the major labels). This will also be shown by the watering down of more movies by doing remakes of a remake and more people maybe buying that movie more as a demo of surround sound for the few bit tracks on them than the quality of the movie itself (U571, Episode 1, and Episode 2 when someone decides to remake them in the future).

Hopefully there will be at least a handful of gems to keep us entertained in the future to make it worth buying and installing the future gear of tomorrow. Even the overwhelming stench of real physical garbage sometimes pale to that which millions of dollars were spent on movies that were trying to avoid becoming an intellectual one.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Some movie soundtracks use a variation on 5.1 called Dolby® Digital Surround EX™, which has now migrated via DVDs to home theater. This format matrix encodes a third surround channel onto the left and right surround channels of 5.1 soundtracks, and may be decoded or not at the cinema’s or home listener’s option due to their inherent compatibility. Because the extra surround information is carried on the left and right surround channels, Dolby Digital Surround EX encoded soundtracks are still regarded as 5.1 soundtracks.
The "5" in "5.1" refers to the number of discrete channels encoded in the signal. DD EX, like regular DD, encodes only 5 discrete channels, plus LFE. That is why it remains a "5.1" format, just as Dolby Surround remains a 2.0 format, although a ProLogic decoder may translate it into 4 separate channels, plus a subwoofer (or 5 separate channels, plus a subwoofer, with DPL2).

M.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The "state of the art" in motion picture exhibition is SDDS-8, which is a true 7.1 format -- but not in a configuration that is anything like what is available for HT, because the additional two channels are in front.
I believe theater #10 on 32nd Street (Kips Bay) features this.

I have never bougth into the whole 6.1/7.1 circus myself.

--
Holadem

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
I'll actually answer your question.

I don't think that there will be a lot of change in surround formats in the next few years. The last really important change was DPL II and that was mostly because of what it could do for 2 channel music.

The major changes in receivers will be increasing use of video format conversion. This is important because it makes system setup and source switching much easier. However, if your receiver makes your source selection easy enough for you (and your technologically challenged SO) there is no reason to worry about this feature.

As far as digital (or Class D) amps go: don't worry. Class D amps offer improvements in power consumption, size and weight. However, watts is still watts and if you are happy with the power amplification capabilities of your weapon of choice there is no reason to worry about being eclipsed by Class D amps.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
SvenS,the reason why I "PERSONALLY" do not like Sony receivers is because I dont like the way they sound.I have owned a 4ES and took it back.I then tried a Rotel and found it to sound superior for less money(RSX-1055).When I was saying 6.1 is the state of the art,I was referring to hometheater, not commercial theater sound.I do think an overhead channel would be pretty cool.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks