how much will i miss if i get regular EVIL DEAD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

as opposed to the Book of the Dead version? I really hate that packaging and I'm wondering just how good the "fanalysis" documentary and the other featurette are. I'd be happy with the 16:9 enhancement and the commentary, actually, but if i knew that the 2 featurettes are extremely necessary, I'd reconsider.

thanks

2. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    If you don't like the amazing packaging I would just go with new Anchor Bay non-book Evil Dead. You probably wouldn't enjoy the featurettes anyways (they are both excellent, though).

3. Sean Patrick

don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of the movie. I just think the packaging is cheesy, plus I hear it smells REALLY bad.

If the documentaries are good enough, I might have to get it.

4. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Just get the new Anchor Bay one which was stated, just not in the Book Packaging. You get the same disc with DTS and Anamorphic, but without the Book Packaging, it's quite cheap. $13 and change at my local Wal-Mart.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

I say get the Elite Special Edition with the better transfer. It has regular packaging.

7. Sean Patrick

i used to have the Elite version but now i have a 16:9 tv...i am aware of the controversy over the OAR but now if there's a 16:9 version of a movie available to me, approved by the director, i'll take the 16:9.

i'll probably get the barebones version...it's only $13!?! AMAZING...the commentary alone is worth that.

8. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

9. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

Sean,

I have the regular keepcase version of the Evil Dead and it has all of the same features as the Book of the Dead version. Yes, even the "Fanalysis" is on there!!!! If you don't want to pay the extra money for the smelly case, just buy the cheap one.

10. Sean Patrick

i wonder why they don't advertise the 2 versions being the same? the back of the boxes clearly implies the non-Book of the Dead version is missing some featurettes.

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Go with the Elite full frame version

12. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

They AREN'T the same. Book of the Dead has a couple extra featurettes than the normal one but I'm lazy so I'm not gonna look right now.

13. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

The Fanalysis is not advertised on the keepcase version, it's an easter egg. There's also 3 other easter eggs, I believe. And I think the Book of the Dead only has 2 eggs. I have seen both, but I could be mistaken.....

The eggs on the keepcase version are:
    1. Fanalysis
    2. Halloween panel discussion
    3. Make-up tests
    4. Discovering the Evil Dead featurette

14. James Carpenter

If the Fanalysis is on the keepcase version as an easter egg, can anyone give directions on how to find it? I was able to locate two easter eggs but neither was the Fanalysis.

James

15. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

The other two easter eggs are much harder to find. Here are the instructions as I copied them from another board...

1. Go to the Make-up Test egg (title 14, chapter 1) in order to find the Fanalysis. As it starts to play hit the right Skip or Chapter advance button twice and it will jump over its return instructions (14 chapter 2) and reveal the feature entitled Fanalysis (title 15, chapter 1).

Note: I had to manually type in the Title and Chapter numbers to get it to work.

2. Starting at the main menu, you need to select the Audio Setup. Then pick Commentaries. Then pick the Commentary for Bruce Campbell. When the word "play" is high lighted in red, press enter. After the THX intro, the commentary for Bruce will start over a still picture (title 19, chapter 1). As this is playing, press the right skip or chapter advance button twice. This will skip over its play movie command (19 chapter 2) so that it will reveal the Discovering the Evil Dead featurette. (title 20, chapter 1)

Again, I had to manually type in the Title and Chapter numbers instead of pushing the skip button.

These can be a little tricky to find. But they ARE on there!!!

16. William Berry

William Berry Auditioning

Thanks Gregory!
    I was worried that I might have to go back and buy the Book of the Dead version sometime, but now I'm glad I don't have to.
    You just saved me $30 [​IMG]