What's new

How much weight is too much for a center channel ontop of a RPTV (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I was just curious who puts their Center Channel on top of their RPTV? How heavy is it, and are you worried about it causing the TV to bend in the middle? I have the new Paradigm Studio CC 470 and a Panny 47' RPTV.

Kevin

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Get a center speaker stand instead, then you wont have to worry about it. I have the same speaker, the speaker is angled up a bit when it is on a flat surface. So you have to prop it up with something to aim it down a little, which I didn't like cuz it was kinda ghetto.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Not sure why aiming a speaker down would be considered "ghetto". I'm not even sure what that means.

However, the speaker stand in front of the RPTV is a nice solution, only if you have a big enough living room or a dedicated theater for this. I can't see many people willing to do this if they use their living room as their home theater. I can't imagine how many toe/shin accidents there would be. Besides, those with kids wouldn't even dream of doing that.

I've heard of people putting a board of wood or plate of glass on top of the RPTV to distribute the weight of the speakers. BTW, what is the weight of that Paradigm center? I'm too lazy to look it up on their site :)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Aww that's nothing I got my 42lb Klipsch RC-7 sitting on my 27" wega. I know I don't have the biggest speaker but I wouldn't worry about 34lb on an RPTV I don't have any problems with mine I except I can't get it to point down towards me.

BTW FiesalK I love your quote it took me a few times to get it buy then I thought it was pretty funny.;)

Daniel Smith

NicholasL

Second Unit
Yeah, I too have the RC-7 but atleast my RPTV is 51 inches, so it's a little "beefier." I looked into those center channel mounts that go ontop of your tv, but all the ones I found online had a max weight capacity of 15lbs. 15LBS! That's ridiculous! Anyone with a 15lbs center channel would not need a tv mount!

Anyway, after one day coming home I found the RC-7 had fallen off the tv since it's back end is sloped and I guess the rubber stands slipped. So I've duct taped a slab of packing foam that came with the RC-7 behind the tv, and the rubber stands sink into that now. Now KEVIN, THAT is ghetto. But nobody can see it since its in the back.

Nhan_H, I guess you don't use much slang huh? "Ghetto" in this context basically means "home-made," "poor," "cheap fix," "weak sauce," "crap," you get the point.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I have a 58" Pioneer and I've gotten on top of mine, (kneeling, not standing, mind you), with no problems. And I weigh a bit more than 34 lbs. :D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But I bet your Pioneer (Elite perhaps?) is much more solid than the Panny 47".

And for those w/ direct-views, I think the tops of RPTVs tend to be much weaker than the tops of direct-views w/ maybe some exceptions like the Pioneer Elite's.

Kevin,

I would NOT put a 34lb center speaker on top of the Panny 47" w/out some sort of platform stand to spread out the weight across the width (and preferably depth also) of the RPTV. I forget the details now, but I recall seeing posts about such stands back early this year, including one w/ hind legs good for the sloped backs of RPTVs.

Jan comes to mind -- IIRC, he built his own though. BTW, where is Jan these days? This thread is starting to remind me of a crazy one about how strong TV chassis are and whether they can handle being stood sideways for playing some video games. :D

_Man_

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I have a Tosh 40" RPTV and was also concerned about placing my NHT (supercenter 2? It's quite heavy) on top of the Tosh. So I built a stand that straddles the TV so the center's weight is tranfered to the floor on either side of the TV.

This works great and gave me additional shelf space to use.

JimmyK

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I have a Hitachi 51F500 and have a Klipsch KG4.2 on top of the TV. The speaker sits upright, not on its side like a typical center channel speaker. Weighs around 40lbs.

I just had the set ISFed and while the screen was off I noticed the frame of my set is 1/2" particle board. No sag at all. I am going to add a 1/2" piece of MDF on top of the set, as extra protection.

Earle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks