How much weight can a "fixed" shelf, in a rack, hold?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evelio Figueroa, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

I have a Mitsubishi MR-50705 rack. I plan on buying the VSX-49TX after I close on my new house in Jan 2002. The Japanese version of the 49TX is about 31Kg. (68 pounds) Will it be too heavy for that shelf?

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

You need to contact the manufacturer of the rack. It is highly unlikely that anyone here can give an accurate answer to your question. Good luck.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evelio, I am unfamiliar with your Mitsubishi rack. Is it one you put together yourself? If so, do you still have the assembly instructions? Instructions for these racks usually indicate the weight ratings for various shelves. I know that for my Sauder entertainment center, the shelves in the component rack portion are only rated for 40 lbs. These are the typical square wood boards that sit on metal pins stuck into the side walls. Otherwise, the bottom of my entertainment center, which includes two cabinets, is rated for 100 lbs. total. With this entertainment center, I had to put my 55-lb. Sony SCD-777ES SACD player in a cabinet on the bottom of it. The component shelves obviously could not support it. I would say that if your components shelves are at all like what I have, they will not support a 68-lb. receiver. As was said, the best thing would be to consult a manual that came with the rack or contact Mitsubishi.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

68 pounds? Shit, is it pregnant? Oh, and if it is, can I have one of its kids?
    Seriously, probably no. If this is an audio rank with fixed shelves on the top & bottom, no. I know the top would be out and if you used the bottom the heat would probably not let you use the rest of the rack.
    The answer: Be creative. I purchased an entertainment center meant for regular FP TV's for my RPTV. It brought the RPTV up off of the floor a little over a foot, but to do this I didn't put the top half of the center on, of course, and I added two 2x4's for vertical braces, just to make sure.
    Glenn

5. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit