How much wear do you get out of your Dockers?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Silla, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Kinda of a dumb title but oh well. It seems like I have to buy a couple of new pairs every six months or so. I wear the things 5 days a week. They get washed weekly (duh [​IMG] ) bur they don't seem any better than most "non-labelled" brands at staying for the lack of a better word - "non-frayed."

What has your experience been with them? I usually wash them on a warm permanent press cycle and dry on "normal" heat.

Michael.

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

In my experience, Dockers wear down faster than other brands. I prefer the Tommy Hilfiger (or whatever his name is) because they seem to last a bit longer.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have dockers and old navy, I prefer the dockers because they wash up better, but the old navy do seem to last longer, plus they're $20

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I wash all my clothes in cold water on normal cycle and tumble dry low heat. All my clothes seem to last quite a long time before becoming frayed.

5. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

I used to be a big fan of Levi Strauss, but Dockers totally suck. The quality just isn't there.

Check out Lands End Tailored Twills. They'll outlast Dockers probably four to one and look good far longer into their life.

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Sorry, but I refuse to do business with Old Navy until they learn how to advertise their products without totally annoying me. And if that day never comes, that's okay with me. [​IMG]

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't actually GO there, I order it online. They never have my size in stock.

8. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I weard Dockers all the time and noticed they lasted much longer when I started having them dry cleaned. I also have enough pairs of pants for a little over 2 weeks so I done't have to wear them that often.

You should try the Stain Defender pants, they are amazing.

9. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

I think buying one or two pairs of pants every six months is normal.

I know they are a little more expensive than Dockers, however J Crew makes great pants. The Gap also has good pants (though more casual). Banana has good pants (if you can wear them, I have to try like hell to find a pair that fits, I am no skinny ass model). And for the ultimate go to Brooks Bros. (classy look and when you wear them you will not be dissappointed that you spent extra $).

10. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Stunt Coordinator

11. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

You find the most amazing threads in this section. And here I thought I was the only one who had problems with Dockers.

I've completely stopped buying the brand. They seem to be made out of Kleenex. My big problem was the back pocket kept wearing out due to my wallet. No other brand of pants that I wore had a problem with this, but the Dockers only lasted about 6 months. Also, the cuffs would start to shread.

I've started wearing mostly Ralph Lauren Polo now, which are a little more expensive, but last far longer. I guess you get what you pay for.

12. Sean Trask

Sean Trask Extra

ok, don't laugh at me here, but I just found the best pair of Khakis ever.

Bill's Khakis. They are a bit more expensive (95 bucks/pair), but they will last you for life.

I had the same problem you did - my Dockers tattered, and I had to replace them every year. Now, I can wear these things for 5-6 years, no problem.

Oh yeah- no pleats [​IMG]

Check them out: www.billskhakis.com - let me know what you think.

13. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I do not buy anything from Levi's, seems that Truckers (Ex-trucker here) do not meet their corperate image, so they pulled their product out of the few truckstops that sold them

So I, and a few million other truckers, indulge their corperate image by not buying any levi's

14. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I quit buying them, they fray/fade too easy. I either get the Target wrinkle-free brand (which are cheap enough to replace when they get tattered) or Dickies. They may not be the cheapest or the coolest, but you can beat the hell out of them and they look great.

I wouldn't wear them out for drinks, but they do great at work.

15. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I wear mostly Dockers during the week and haven't had any problems with them wearing out or fraying. The only problem I've had with them is that the buttons on the back pockets always fall off.

16. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

If you eat enough, you'll outgrow your Dockers long before they wear out. [​IMG]

And I love those Old Navy ads.

17. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Sean,

This is why I frequent this board so much. Thanks dude, I'll check them out.

Matt,

Actually not a bad idea. Are the Target branded Khaki's like $19.99 or something? I can usually get Docker's at Swervyn Mervyn's on sale for around $30 or so.

Michael.

18. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

19. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I'm fed up with Dockers. They never seem to last as long as Flyers (which feel like better material), Savane, Haggar or any other brand I've tried. Dockers tend to wear the fastest around the cuffs where it meets the shoe top.

One brand in particular that I've tried, and lasted the longest, is Carmbridge something or nother. I get them at Mervyns and they're usually about $5 cheaper than Dockers. The material from which they're made looks to be of better quality than Dockers and they get torn or destroyed way before they wear out. I usually end up tearing them on the leg somewhere.

I've never tried the Hilfigers, Polo's, Old Navy or Gap's. I might try them next.

Also LL Bean and Landsend are probably good too.

20. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter