What's new

How much trouble can one get into for doing this? (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Last night, my friend and I were making our way out of a bar when my friend noticed his ex-girlfriend sitting at a table with a bunch of people. They didn't end on good terms. When we went outside, my friend sent a text message to her cell phone calling her a "strumpet." After getting a message back from her, he replied with another text calling her a "hussy."

Today, he got a phone call from her in which she stated that if he sends any more messages, she will press charges. Can she press charges for such behavior? If so, what is the punishment?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Can she press charges for such behavior?
Since he initiated the contact by sending the first text message he could probably get charged with harassment. I have no idea what the punishment could be though. I guarantee it's not worth finding out. Tell your friend to grow up a little bit and leave her alone. :emoji_thumbsup:

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Technically I'm sure he could be charged with some kind of harassment but unless there was some extenuating circumstance like his being on parole for assaulting her there's no way the prosecutor's office would waste their time on such a case. Regardless just tell him to leave her the f*** alone.......

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Given that he called her a "stumpet" and "hussey" I presume he'll get a week on the rack with 50 lashings from the town elders.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I think he could defintely get in trouble, even though she replied. I've heard of people getting in trouble for stalking by using a phone, so I would assume similar things could happen with text messaging and through the internet. You never know what charges they could come up with, and it's best not to find out. Just tell your friend to leave things be, and to try to stay out of trouble.

Cam S

Screenwriter
My advice to your friend is to just let her be and be done with it. I'm in a similar situation, but I am the one being harassed, and it sucks.

Btw, what the hell is a "strumpet"?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
From the dictionary-http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/strumpet
a woman adulterer
I had no idea, either. I don't speak English, I speak 'merikin.:)

Couldn't he have just given her the finger? I mean, what is wrong with people these days?:D

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Given that he called her a "stumpet" and "hussey" I presume he'll get a week on the rack with 50 lashings from the town elders.
:D

He did initiate the text messaging. She only sent one reply that said "get a life."

He didn't threaten any physical harm or harass her sexually so that's why I'm wondering what she can do. It's more name-calling like you would hear in grade school.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I once got a text message from a former co-worker. He left my company on BAD terms and assumed I would leave when he did. Since I didn't leave, he thought of me as a traitor and no longer his friend. He text messaged me a really nasty message.

Let me tell you how freaked out and creepy it was to get an anonymous message like that. I was MAD! :angry: If there was any way of pressing charges, I would have in a heart beat.

When I found out who it was, I called his wide and let her know about it. I'm sure she gave him hell for that stunt because he called me a few days later and apologized profusely.

So before you think a stunt like that is no big deal, remember how freaked out the person on the receiving end would feel. It's not funny at all.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I'm wondering what is a strumpet too? Is that similar to the Strombone?"

Thanks Jay I needed that:)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
If there was any way of pressing charges, I would have in a heart beat.

When I found out who it was, I called his wide and let her know about it. I'm sure she gave him hell for that stunt because he called me a few days later and apologized profusely.
Let me get this straight- you knew who it was, you were able to call him on it, and get an amicable solution, and yet, looking back, you'd PREFER to involve the police???

Sue first, ask questions later, I guess.

Todd

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
As for the friend who is harassing his ex girlfriend, tell him to get a life and move on.
Just curious but why didn't you just talk to him?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Just curious but why didn't you just talk to him?
Actually I was going to talk to him, but he wasn't home, so I told his wife.

Trust me, I was SO upset about the message that I was ENRAGED. I wasn't really thinking of the best way, I was at the point of exploding so I let it all out when his wife answered.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
He did initiate the text messaging. She only sent one reply that said "get a life."
Methinks he let a smart one get away and he should heed her advice. No offense to your friend, but "getting a life" would do him well. Sending text messages like that is very juvenile and probably does nothing more than reassure the young lady that being his "ex" is probably a good thing.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
It's more name-calling like you would hear in grade school.
Unless your friend is attending the aforementioned grade school, I would think he needs to grow up, and not just a little. It's time to join the adults in the real world... :rolleyes

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
STRUMPET = Like an English muffin, but firmer & sweeter & you don't have to cut them in half.

But seriously...

If this girl is on the receiving end of unwanted communication, I'm pretty sure she can go to her local distict court and obtain a "No Contact Order" or an "Anti-Harassment Order" or whatever they call it in her neighborhood. Once Mr. Biting Witticism has been served with this order, initiating further contact with her would constitute "Violation of NCO" which is a crime.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I would tell your friend to knock it off. If she did take it to court and the case got heard the judge would probably fine both of them for wasting the courts time for being immature jerks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks