How Much to Spend on Progressive Scan DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Arthur S, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Jul 2, 1999
    Finally getting first HD TV next Tuesday. Only been waiting for 15 years.

I just realized that I now have a real need for a progressive scan DVD player, duh!

Progressive scan players can be purchased for as little as 40 bucks. I don't plan to go with anything that cheap, but there are name brand progressive scan players for well under $100.

What should I be looking for in a new DVD player? I think some models have a Faroudja chip. Is it worth it to spend a couple hundred dollars more for a player with that chip?

What would the sweet spot be for a good player these days? I'm thinking 50 to 100 bucks. What don't i know or is that all I need to spend for a very good player?

All comments will be appreciated.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    check out this thread in the Sources forum:

Depending on the set you're buying you may not really need to get a progressive scan player at all if your current interlaced model is decent.

If the set you're purchasing is capable of displaying 480p as one of it's native scanrates, then you might seriously consider a progressive scan player. A digital display (dlp, lcd, plasma) will have to do a scanrate conversion on 480p anyway, as will many crt based sets (Hitachi, Toshiba, JVC) that will not display 480p natively.

Alternatively, if your new set has DVI inputs you could purchase one of the new upconverting players that will output 1080i via dvi, an improvement over 480p. There's also the Zenith DVB-318, which will upconvert to 1080i over both dvi and component as long as you get one built before July 04, available from some sources for as little as $160 and has Faroudja chip.