How much technial difference is there between the Sherbourn 5/1500 and the 5/1500A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bobby_N, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Bobby_N

Bobby_N Agent

The Sherbourn 5/1500 and the 5/1500A? I know the cosmetics are different, and the A model has balanced inputs, however, I am wanting to konw what type of difference there is in sound quality itself. If I was to team an original 5/1500 and a 5/1500A together, would there be a sound difference in the 2 amps?

2. Bobby_N

Bobby_N Agent

These things are different:

Dynamic Headroom - For the "A" model it is 1.3dB

Dynamic Headroom - For the original model is 1.25dB

Signal to Noise Ratio - For the "A" Model is 110dB wideband and 110dB A weighted

Signal to Noise Ratio - For the original version is 100dB wideband, and 110dB for A weighted

Everything else is the same...however, I do not understand these terms, what does this mean? And what does the damping factor mean, is higher better, or lower?

3. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I was reading a review on an internet site and apparently there are a lot of flaws with the older one. Like buzzing or humming and too many lights on the front.

4. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

5. Bobby_N

Bobby_N Agent

I don't know where you read your review from, but uhhh, buddy, there is NO BUZZING, NO HUMMING in my amp, because if there was, I would have ditched it a LONG time ago. I think that review is full of sh*t frankly.

6. Bobby_N

Bobby_N Agent

Oh crap...I just figured it out, your talking about TRANSFORMER hum...oh come on, if you are sitting in a dead quiet room, close up to it, yeah you'll hear the transformers hum, but if you are playing some music or something, naaa, you won't hear it, that is, unless you have your ear stuck to the side of it or something.
    I'm slow, gimmie a break.... [​IMG]

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I think you could do this without any problem, but if you have any concerns, call Sherbourn and ask. I am sure Ron Fone will be glad to answer your questions.

8. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

I use both models in my system. I have never heard a hum from the original. The 5 blue LEDS are bright but no more so than my power conditioner. The original model is bridgeable and the soft clipping feature can be turned on and off for each channel. The new model has the quasi- balanced inputs and 1 less obvious blue LED.

My complaints with the original is the auto-sensing turn on and the dreaded "thump". It has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it keeps the unit on all night and other times it will shut off in 30 minutes. Sometimes it will pop on when I flip a light switch. The new unit works much better in this regard and will shut off 5 minutes after the signal stops. The original's "thump" occurs when I power the unit off. It sends a charge thru my subs that scares the bejesus out of me and the pooch.

I have not noticed a difference sound wise and although the specs have changed a little I suspect the new model is a refinement of a already good thing.

Frank

9. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

>> I suspect the new model is a refinement of a already good thing

10. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Frank, I have an original 5/1500 and the same problem with the auto-sensing. For the first few months it worked fine, albeit with the thump when it was turned off at the amp. If I had mute on too long, like when I was on the phone, the amp would go to sleep. Turn the volume back up and it would come back on. Now, it just stays on all the time unless I turn it off at the amp. I just figured that feature had expired, but then I'll go into the room and find it off. I don't know what the deal is. Someday I'll wire a trigger and forget about it.