What's new

How much sub do I need? (1 Viewer)

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,
After visiting the Patcave I'm really juiced on the idea of building a sub......but how big?
My room is approx. 17' X 18.5' X 7.25' high, carpeted floor & a fairly good mix of hard & soft surfaces. My receiver is an Onkyo 575X which is used 80% for HT.
I want a sub that will do a solid job and that I won't need to replace anytime soon. Also, since this is my 1st attempt at sub building, I'd like a kit with some type of plan to it as I haven't the foggiest as to what F3.....tune to 17HZ...etc. etc. means. Budget is a little skimpy....$500US.
Keeping my fingers crossed...
Greg

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I think that something like Pat's current Tempest-based sub would work very well for you in that room, 10 ft.^3 tuned to 16-18Hz. You can certainly get a Tempest and an AVA250 (or visit partsexpress.com for some great sub amp deals going on now) and come in under budget.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Your room is very close to the same size as mine, and I have an Onkyo 575 as well. I have a 260L Tempest with an AVA250. The sub cost me $830 CDN. That is for everything, taxes, shipping, building/finishing materials brokerage fees etc. That converts to just over $500 USD. And since you won't incur several of those costs you should easily be able to build it for less than $500 USD.
If you are thinking about a ported Tempest, then the consensus ideal around here is consider an enclosure in the 300L range with a 6" port tuned to 16-18hz. Trust us, you won't be disappointed.
It's not that hard to figure out LspCAD and the basics of sub design. You'll also have a much greater appreciation for subs once you get this education as well. Take your time, do some reading and ask questions, get us to double check your numbers whatever. This place is great for getting started.
If you wanted you could even get on the preorder for the Maelstrom. Put that in a 300+L enclosure tuned to 16hz with an AVA250 in your room and you'll be giddy. Will cost you another $85 for the driver and you'll have to wait a while, but still, if I had the room and could start again, that is what I'd be doing.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I agree with the Tempest idea. I just wanted to add that you can put the Tempest in a much smaller enclosure and get excellent results. I have mine in a 225 liter enclosure tuned to 19Hz.
------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Well the Tempest and the AVA250 seem to be a popular choice around here, so I'm sold on that. I can get a 12' long 24" sonotube relatively cheaply ($60 USD) so I that takes care of that question. Now what I really need is a good plan listing lenghts, diameters, etc. for a ~300L enclosure. I downloaded LspCad and after 2 hours tooling around with it I had the same feeling I once got writing a Calculus mid-term after being off sick for the prior 3 weeks of class. I know when I'm in over my head. Can such a plan be begged, borrowed or purchased? I know that the design part is supposed to be fun.....but me thinks I'd have better luck teaching my cat the tax code than I would coming up with a successful sub design
redface.gif

Thanks,

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
How about just copy one that has already been done. PatSun's Sonosub II should be exactly what you are looking for and his documentation is awesome. Just follow the photos and I believe he has all the measurements on the site as well.
If you want to mount the AVA250 to the sub then check out Frank Hankenberg's sub or the link to mine below and modify Pat's accordingly. If not just follow Pat's exactly and make a simple little box for the AVA250.
http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub2.html
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks