How much stuff can be crammed onto a DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charlie B, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Charlie B

Charlie B Auditioning

I just purchased the Se7en: Platinum Series two disc set. The anamorphic picture is wonderful. The DVD also features both a Dolby EX 5.1 track and a DTS ES Discreet 6.1 track, plus a normal stereo track and FOUR commentary tracks--all on one disc!
    My question is this: How do all these things fit on one disc whereas the upcoming Phantom Menace DVD will have one Dolby EX track, one English stereo and one Spanish stereo--and it's supposedly totally filled?
    I'm not complaining or anything-the Phantom Menace set sound great-I'm just curious. The Phantom Menace is only nine minutes longer than Se7en, but is certainly filled with more fast-moving action sequences. Is this the reason why there is less room for audio tracks? If so, I guess I didn't realize how much an impact that kind of thing has in terms of information requirements. But if not, then why?
    edited: I forgot about PM's commentary track. That explains some of it. Sorry [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Charlie B on September 14, 2001 at 07:33 PM]

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

i hear that the Phantom Menace disk is supposed to have 6hours of extra stuff..if you scroll down a bit in the posts..youll see someone ask why PM isnt DTS, and they same is explained..that theres just tons of stuff on the disk.
    ------------------
    - Jason
    My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
    "what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

3. Charlie B

Charlie B Auditioning

But besides the commentary, aren't all the extras on the second disc?

4. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Could be that Se7en was a more traditional film while Episode 1 utilized alot of digital rendering which (I think) takes up more memory space, thus a need to devote more bits to the actual film itself and less to extras such as audio tracks and commentaries.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

6. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

"How much stuff can be crammed onto a DVD?"
    Evidently, a lot of stuff. Ever seen the DVD to John Carpenter's The Thing? With all the stuff on it, most other companies would've made 2 and 3 disc special editions of. Still the best DVD I own, in my opinion.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

How much stuff can be crammed onto a DVD? Iin large part, it depends on how much MPEG compression can be applied to the feature without degrading the video quality. Every feature is different.
    quote: Ever seen the DVD to John Carpenter's The Thing? [/quote] The Thing has the advantage of being a non-anamorphic transfer. Those generally take up less space (fewer pixels devoted to picture information).
    I haven't seen TPM since it played in theaters, but I remember it having a lot of complicated shots with significant motion in the frame. Such images typically don't compress well.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 14, 2001 at 09:48 PM]