How much southern exposure do I need?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan_H, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Nathan_H

Nathan_H Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at going with a Dish setup, but am concerned about whether I have enough southern exposure.
    I live in an apt building. Ideally, the dish would go on the roof of the building BUT the owner won't permit it. He will, however, abide my setting it up outside a window (connected to the oversized sill).
    But the southern sky is only about 50% visible (ie, from say 45degrees to 90degrees) due to trees. (FYI, I'm in the SF Bay Area.)
    Any way I can measure the situation before making a purchase and getting service? (Or am I SOL already, based on my rough estimates?)

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    www.dbsforums.com has a dish pointing page. Just put in your zip and pick the satellite you want to point at. If you are going to use an oval dish you have to get the azmuth and elevation for each satellite that will be pointed at. Finally, remember to add or subtract for the magnetic variation.
    -Robert

3. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

You might try calling a Dish installer (or maybe even Dish Network directly) to see if you can get someone to come out to your place for a small fee and check if you have good enough Southern LOS.
    (Has anyone else tried this - will they do it for a reasonable fee??)
    A small fee might save you a bunch if you can't get a good enough signal.
    Good luck,
    Rob

4. Nathan_H

Thanks for the tips. I couldn't find the exact item on the dbs forums pages about calculating this BUT did learn other important items about apartment dwellers and dishes.
    Wish I lived a story or two higher in the building. Looks like I may end up with digital cable -- more expensive for what I want (mostly TCM) and lower quality...

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Direct link: http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html
    You want to get the azimuth for DirecTV at 101 and DirecTV at 119. The majority of programming is on at the 101 position. 119 has HDTV, some locals and Spanish channels. (if I'm wrong someone please correct me)
    -Robert

6. Nathan_H

Thanks for the direct link. Not sure why I couldn't find it except that I ran into so much other interesting content.