How Much Should one pay for Star Wars On LD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Landers, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Tom Landers

Tom Landers Extra

I found a used copy of Starwars on LD and it is priced at
    $25.00 Is this a good deal?
    does anyone have the discs. how's the PictureSound Quality?
    any and all informantion is appricated.

2. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
  3. Tom Landers

Tom Landers Extra

not sure.....
    Widescreen?
    original?
    maybe.....

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

If it isn't widescreen, it is worth nothing.
    If it isn't THX, it is worth nothing.
    If it's Star Wars alone, it's overpriced.
    There are three domestic versions and one Japanese import that are worth anything. Three of these are Trilogy box sets. Here are your options in LD, with an estimated price range gathered from Ebay:
    The Definitive Collection box set. $50-$80. Sometimes more; rarely less. This is the only CAV version to own. Picture and sound are in second place to the SEs, but not by a lot. Try to get one with the corrected Empire Strikes Back disc - this is worth quite a bit more, but the seller may not be aware of it (the original release was missing a few seconds of Leia welding, on side 3, just before she calls Han a scoundrel. Replacement discs were pressed; previous owners could make an exchange but I don't think many did; hence, it's more valuable).
    The Special Edition box set. $100. This can vary quite a bit. The market is down right now for these sets, compared to the $175-$225 they used to go for. I've gotten mint copies for as little as $50. Be patient! This is the best looking and sounding of all Star Wars versions but, of course, you've got to put up with the changes/enhancements Lucas made.
    The Special Edition, Japanese import box set. Really, no advantage over the domestic SE. Some like the artwork better. You'll have to put up with Japanese subtitles. Price? Everyone who sells one wants big money - forget it - get the domestic SE.
    THX stand-alones. Same transfer as the Definitive Collection. $30-$60 for all three. If you can't stand the SE versions and don't want to shell out the larger bucks, these 'll do.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on August 20, 2001 at 08:20 AM]

5. Tom Landers

Tom Landers Extra

Thanks.

6. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Alan
    Jeez..that's it for the CAV Box Set?
    I sent away for the corrected disc of Empire and my set is in mint condition. I really thought it was worth more. Not that it matters since I don't think I will ever sell it. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

7. Mike Gariepy

Mike Gariepy Stunt Coordinator

Somehow I doubt it, but can one still send away for the corrected Empire disc? I was not even aware of the problem, so I doubt I have the corrected version since I bought it on release day ($cha-ching$).
    Oh well, it's a small price to pay for the last remaining, best looking, "untainted" version of the trilogy. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Hi I'm Reddy Killowatt reporting a dangerous overloaded octopus connection in sector five!"
    My HT Equipment | My DVD List

8. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I dunno about anyone else, but I really love the covers from the THX stand-alones. I just got a new set off ebay solely to use for display [​IMG] Plus, I figure soon enough it will be economical to have them trasferred to a digital medium for backup (since I doubt we will ever see the original versions on DVD)
    ------------------
    My DVD collection

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Tino: Ebay is a variable thing. Titles go in and out of favor. There are periods when The Definitive Collection consistently gets over $100. One is over $100 right now. Sometimes it seems you can't give them away. Same with the SE. A sealed SE just went for $177.50. I have an absolutely mint copy but it isn't sealed (it should be better than sealed because it's been checked for rot) and isn't likely to get anywhere near that number.
    The thing is, you must watch and look for trends and try to time your auctions when the market seems to be on the upswihg.
    The last time I saw a Defintive copy with the corrected disc, which was quite a while ago, and was promoted as such, it went for over $150. I'd wager right now that you can get even more than that. So, if you're looking to sell, put a reserve of at least $150.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

10. Sam Graves

Sam Graves Stunt Coordinator

I just paid $100.00 for a mint SE box on eBay. I lost an auction the day before for the box that went for $115. At th first of the summer, I had prepared to set aside $200 to buy the SE box when school started (loan refunds). I was very happy to see that the market for them on eBay had dropped. This market flux happens a lot on eBay. Now if I could find an AC-3 demodulator, I would be a happy man!
    Sam Graves

11. Duncan Jones

Duncan Jones Extra

If anyone is interested Big Emma has the three LD Star Wars/Empire/Jedi- widescreen nonTHX at $7.95 each on the site at the time of writing this.

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I got my THX CLV trilogy from EAV LASER when they were having a sale... only 7.99 each...
    Oh... it is also rumored that when Lucas created the SEs, he destroyed the original negative... so this may just be the best version you can EVER get... TheForce.Net also reported a rumor that there might still be another SuperSE of IV - VI with additional scenes to tie it into I - III.
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)