How much PVC Sonosub Material?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joey_R, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Joey_R

Joey_R Stunt Coordinator

A contractor buddy is giving me a peice of 16" I.D. PVC pipe that I plan to use for a sonosub. Since this fleeting opportunity just presented itself, I have not yet done the research necessary to design the sub. In ballpark figures, how long should the pipe be? I will do the fine tuning later. Thanks.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Depends entirely on the driver you plan to use and what you want to be able to tune it to.

But in general, for 16" tube, I doubt you'll need any more than 50-60". You'll likely use less.

I also don't know if PVC is a good choice for the tube or not. There were some discussions on this earlier. I'd do a search and find out.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Won't the PVC piping have some resonant and vibrating characteristics about it that makes it undesirable to use as a sub enclosure?

4. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Doesn't SVS use PVC enclosures?

5. I too have heard from many past posts that PVC rings a bit and is pretty hard to damp out.

6. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

i think the biggest problem with pvc vs paper is pvc is increadably expensive compared to paper in these large sizes.
    what the heck, if its free build it. a couple bucks for the endcaps and some labor time and see for yourself how it sounds.
    if you hate it you can re build another with the same amp and driver and compare.
    in my mind the extra heft of the pvc would be a plus, helping to reduce resonance and hopping arround. (but dont ask me, i think everyone needs an IB [​IMG] )

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Don't know aren't some of the cones and ports people use made from PVC as well (or similar plastics)? It might be problem and if this is the case if you use silicone instead of a glue, and this doesn't work you should be able to pick-up a cardboard sonotube to use later and recycle the end caps hopefully (some are plus or minus 16").

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    With 16" tubing, if you get a section cut at 50", that should do. The first thing you need to determine is what driver you will use for it. There are a variety of killer 12" drivers available. I myself am using a MaxCaliber which is available locally in Canada but the Shiva is a popular model along with a ost of others. Once you have the driver, you can figure out the net volume you need to get the most desirable results, and the porting you will also need.