What's new

How Much Power (1 Viewer)

SAPSEC

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
The audio salesperson tried to convince me when listening at normal level (home-theatre) we only need the amp to output between 10-20 watts to speakers. Is this true ?

So, why do people have clipping / distortion issue ? In which circumstance would it have clipping / distortion ? I guess the amp can't output enough power speaker ? How do we detect clipping / distortion ?

In order NOT to have clipping / distortion what factor should I consider ?

Thank you all.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, that is true. I like that salesman. Honest.

Clipping occurs when you try to put more out than the amp can handle. This should not occur in modern AVR's. And based on the fact most have way more power than you need, it should never be an issue in a typical home setup. Not sure about distortion. Maybe the same thing???

What gear are you looking at and how big is your room?

EDIT to say 10-20 watts is accurate for higher frequencies. Lower bass frequencies need tons of power (among other things). This is one of the reasons to have a separate powered subwoofer.

zzkazu

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
It depends on your Speaker sensitivity, using this calculator.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

With speakers that are say 95 dB SPL sensitive the calculation outlines 1 Watt Amplifier Power provides 91.3 dB SPL at listening position.

To allow for 20dB headroom from a reference level of 85dB (@ 10 feet) you would need a 25 Watt Amplifier.

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
EDIT to say 10-20 watts is accurate for higher frequencies. Lower bass frequencies need tons of power (among other things). This is one of the reasons to have a separate powered subwoofer.
Without a doubt. To illustrate, were I to play the LotR: TT Helm's Deep battle scene on my system at anything approaching 00 on my receiver's volume range (-60 to +10), the AVR's protection circuit would kick in just from driving the mids/highs. There's no way I could get anywhere close to that level of output if the AVR was also driving the subs.

In my opinion, with subs driven separately, the ultimate balancing act is to have slightly more speaker than the amps can drive, and electronics that will simply cease output before clipping/overheat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks