How much power does your spks output in the passive/active bi-amping mode??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Gatlin Jr, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Hello...

I have 225 watts going to the highs/mids, and 250 watts to the lows in a passive bi-amping setup to my front/rear NHT VT-2 spks. What is the total power output to my spks? Is it the larger number being sent to the lows, or is it the combined total of 475 watts to the spk? No one has been able to answer this for me. A 5x200-ch amp is sending 200 watts to each spk, what am I sending? Anyone!!

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

In a passive biamp setup, it sort of depends. Do you mean power getting to the drivers? Because all the power of the the woof amp is sending above the XO point is getting dissipated in the XO components, and vice versa, so its full 250 for a full range signal gets reduced to some lesser value at the woofer coil itself. If you are playing a signal that is all below the XO point, then the woof should be receiving the full ouput of the bass amp. But in this case, the output of the tweeter amp is all being dissipated in its XO components. If you mean what is beinng delivered to the XO's themselves, then yes you could be delivering a full 475. This would require that for the same level input signal, both amps would be driven to their rated clean max output, though.

Question, if your amp is 5x200, where do 225 and 250 come from? Or was that just an example in addition to your actual setup?

Now in active biamping, none of the amplified signal is being discarded, so you are delivering the full ouput of all the amps to the speakers. So IF the 2 amps were being fully driven, you would be delivering 475 watts to the combined setup. However, this assumes that there would be a signal that, when split by the active XO and amplified, drives these amps to their max output in the frequency bands they were operating.

So basically, if what you are after (?) is to maximize the power you are using at the speakers, you want to use an active XO. The amps are then only working to produce the signal that is used by the drivers. (I am ignoring of course the loss in the remaining passive XO between your tweeters and mids, and treating the situation as if we were talking about a 2 way biamped situation.) This means the amps work less for the same output.

BB