How much output from the $125 dayton sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JimIroc, Apr 1, 2004.

1. JimIroc

JimIroc Agent

I'm designing a home theater system for my cousin on a tight budget. I'm probably going to assemble most of the speakers from kits. I've got the 10" titanic as a possibility, but as a much less expensive option I've got a 10" cerwin vega sub that costs around $175. I've always been a big fan of cerwin vega bass, and I know that a 100 watt amp on one of their efficient 10" drivers will give plenty of output.

What about this Dayton? This will save $50 that I can use elsewhere (like better drivers in the other speakers), but I don't want to wind up with a sub that doesn't have much output or much sound quality. Her living room is pretty large (20x20 or so), and she likes to turn up her tunes now and then, but I don't think I need anything that will get excessively loud. Anybody care to comment on the output capabilities of that Dayton?

2. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

i have the sub you are referring to (I think)...cant give you any concrete numbers or anything like that, but i will say it's a great sub for the money & gets quite loud (& i haven't even tried to push it hard..i think i have the gain at less than 1/2) in my 15x15 living room w/ large open door into 15x15 dining room & small opening into same size kitchen...also the sub is NOT optimally placed..

i would try it, & if you dont like it send it back, though i'd be surprised if you did..