What's new

How much of your collection would you buy again in HD-DVD? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Here are my factors:

price
As long as HD disks are not significantly more than SD's. (about $20)
picture quality significantly better than SD I would bet we're probably going to see some HD titles out there that will be poorly done and wont look much better than SD disks... if at all.
title that is important to me "must-haves" like LOTR and Star Wars. Mostly the big-budget epic films.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I don't plan to rebuy on HD-DVD DVDs I already own, with the possible exception of some "favorites" like Diane Lane and Monica Bellucci.

I'll purchase new releases on HD-DVD.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
my MUST HAVES are films like Blood Beast, The Living Corpse and Brutes and Savages. these will be on HD-DVD? thats pretty funny!!! I'll replace maybe 5% of my titles....maybe. hard to tell. there are the "givens" or "no-brainers"...but it's not all that many. it will benefit a few great titles for sure....but for the most part...dvds need to do what we were told they would do....and last about 50+ years on my shelf.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
About 80% of my 350 Disc collection I couldnt live without

If the HD-DVD is superior which Im sure it will be, Ill have to upgrade most of my collection.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Assuming similar pricing, pretty much every title I own.

-Reagan

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I wouldn't upgrade any of my discs. I'm very happy with what I have and how they currently look onscreen.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I'm at 1350 titles and growing about 15-20 a month so I'd never replace all of them. Probably about 10%. Things like Dances With Wolves, Legends Of The Fall, the Jack Ryan stuff, etc. Like others, the things I really like.

Deane

RobD

Second Unit
I'd employ the same policy I did with my laserdiscs which is to re-purchase non but to buy all new material on the new format (Even if theres a large price difference).

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I have about 190 DVDs, and I'd guess probably no more than 50.

It would have to be a film that I truly love. Although I'm not sure what kind of improvement I'll see from older films (pre-1990 for example).

I'd have to look at it on a case-by-case basis.

Assuming that HD-DVD will add optimal picture and sound - the films would have to have beautiful cinematography and/or incredible music.

A few films I would easily upgrade (to name only a few):

Magnolia
Three Colours Trilogy
Days of Heaven
32 Short Films About Glenn Gould
Red Violin
The Thin Red Line

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Firstly if all the new HD-DVD stuff costs $20-$30 then I wouldn't replace anything until the prices came down. I almost never buy a DVD for more than $10 as it is (using this as a rule I've still built a nice collection of good films). I'd likely buy new additions to my collection in HD-DVD, more than replacing old ones, but for movies that I haven't watched that much, or that really need a facelift I'd replace 'em.

- JS

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
First off, the real question is, when can I afford an HD-TV and a new HD-DVD player? Chances are the format will be out at least a year or two before I can afford to make that plunge.

Then I think it will be a matter of comparison.

I know it's probably a sin, but I haven't thrown out any of my VHS tapes yet. Most of the DVDs I've bought have been because of special features, so if their new HD counterparts have no special features or only copies of the same stuff, I probably won't upgrade.

If there is a real difference in quality, I will rebuy a few of my favorite films automatically - Wonder Boys, Traffic, 2001, just to name a few.

I know it's not what studios want to hear, but the advent of a new format will not cause me to run out and blindly rebuy everything I own.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
First off, the real question is, when can I afford an HD-TV and a new HD-DVD player? Chances are the format will be out at least a year or two before I can afford to make that plunge.
Or will it be compatible with my setup? How much would I have to buy to get in? That would be the question.

Course, once I'm in, I don't expect to upgrade a huge amount of my collection. A large percentage of my collection is Anime and TV shows, which I don't think HD-DVD will improve all that much. I would suspect only a few titles would be replaced, and any new ones that come down the pike.

Course, this is still years into the future as far as I'm concerned.

Jason

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Firstly if all the new HD-DVD stuff costs $20-$30 then I wouldn't replace anything until the prices came down. I almost never buy a DVD for more than $10 as it is (using this as a rule I've still built a nice collection of good films).
Yes -- using Columbia House --- I am always under $10.00 a disc on average. I will not be paying 20-30.00 per movie.

Also, surely the transfer quality will improve after the first few years. I mean look at current DVD. The transfers of the last two years are much better than the first couple of years. I do not want to go through the "re-buying" process again, or, at least, as often as I have with standard DVD. I may let the studios work through the learning curve this time.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
as long as they don't start all that superbit bullsh*t, i'll be welcoming HD-DVD with an open wallet. my bank account on the other hand ...

just gimme the best the format has to offer up front. my investment in DVD will save me money in the long term with HD-DVD, as i'll know up front what films to avoid.

i think the hardest thing will be watching HD, then having to go back to DVD (for those films that aren't released in HD). now that's going to be tough, and is not something i'm looking forward to. but then again, films in hi-def .... wheeee!!!!

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
For me it depends on how quickly the plunge takes place.

If they start doing bare bones HD stuff of older titles then I'll pass for awhile.

I would just start buying things that are new releases in HD, and not worry about the older stuff.

WojtekZ

Grip
Lets not forget how long it is taking for some stuff to come out on DVD. I would be surprised if we saw more than 100 HD-DVD titles in the first year ( forty percent of which are likely to be new releases)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
None at all. It would get way too expensive and I don't think I would notice that much of a differance to justify replacing anything, and I am up to nearly 700 disks, so that would get pricy.

I could see HD-DVD getting delayed until the studios have put out all of their major titles - and yes, just so we can buy them all over again! I won't fall into that trap.

Also, I did want to add that the disks we have now are supposed to last for 50+ years, but they could start breaking down in 10 or so. Only time will tell.

Glenn

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I don't usually jump on new technologies, so it would take at least a couple years after it comes out before I would even consider buying a player...it took me til the spring of 2000 to get my first DVD player. So my guess is, I would wait for large event films to come on HD-DVD and replace some of my favorites...ones that would actually show improvements. Obviously old catalog titles and TV shows probably wouldnt have much to offer, but I predict I would keep at least 75% of my existing DVD collection.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Price point would also be a key for me, I waited until the price of DVD players dropped drastically before I took that plunge.
After that, I would maybe only buy must have's on HD-DVD as well as new releases. I likely wouldn't rebuy a lot of my current titles as most of them are TV shows. If I have the whole series of Friends on DVD, why would I want to buy it again?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks