How much of your collection would you buy again in HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mitch Stevens, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I was watching my boxed set of "Band Of Brothers" on my HDTV. It has one of the most AMAZING tranfers I have ever seen in my entire life. Each episode, each DVD is absolutely top quality. HOWEVER, I immediately thought to myself that if it looked that good on DVD, imagine how much more amazing it would look with an increased resolution (HD-DVD or whatever format comes next) and an increased bitrate. Going from 480 lines of resolution to 1080 lines of resolution is a huge step in the right direction.

Many people think that you can't improve upon a title when it's already reference quality, but I'm absolutely certain that it can be done. After all, most of our favourite movies were shot on FILM, and film has several times the amount of resolution that DVD or even HD have to offer, therefore a straight transfer from film to a higher resolution will show a significant improvement in video quality and would look even better than the best reference quality DVDs.

With that said, how much of your collection - how many titles would you purchase AGAIN on the next format? Being as how I usually only purchase films that mean a lot to me, films that I love with a passion, I would consider purchasing practically ALL of my collection again, with the exception of a few titles which were blind buys, and I didn't care for - but those are very few. I would say about 98% of my collection, would be upgraded.

I would love to hear what others are thinking of doing, when the next format finally arrives.

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I probably would only replace those 'big' movies that I know I would watch a lot. LOTR trilogy, Matrix trilogy, most of my favorite action movies. A few odds and ends, but most of my collection (just rounding 300) would remain on DVD. All new titles though I would buy in HD-DVD or whatever it ends up being.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'd upgrade any dvd in my collection for which there was a noticeable improvement in picture quality.

4. Lloyd White

Lloyd White Stunt Coordinator

The DVD companies are going to love people like George! As for myself, I will stick to must have's on HD-DVD. I will be watching the news on HD-DVD very closely, because I don't want to be caught buying, let's say, new TV boxsets on DVD when they were originally broadcasted in HDTV. Thankfully, DVD only looks a step to a half of a step behind decent HD so it's not really that big of a deal.

5. derek

derek Second Unit

I plan on doing the same thing as with my laserdisc collection...upgrading my favorites. But more often than not it seems us laserdisc junkies can't resist the new anamorphic transfers with the 5.1 soundtrack and extras that DVD provides. I feel HD-DVD will be a much greater upgrade than laser->DVD was (bye bye old NTSC) especially if new higher capacity audio formats are put into place.

6. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

All I can say is some people have too much money on their hands. Being a poor college student, there is no way I am going to purchase the same dvds just for HD. I thought it was bad of me to rebuy a couple of DVDS I had that were DD and buy the DTS version (such as saving private ryan) but there is no way I am going to buy HD just to improve picture quality.

One question though, do you think it's stupid then, since HD-DVDs are coming, for people to rebuy some of their DVDs and replace them with Superbit versions?

7. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

About 50 of the ~175 in an initial buying frenzy, then I'd slowly replace over years.

8. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

I don't plan on upgrading so far, I would have to be blown away and I doubt this will happen. Once it's available, I will start buying the new releases or the ones I don't have in HD, but that's it.

9. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I'm likely only going to upgrade the "must-haves" as well. Also, when HD-DVD arrives, I'm hoping there is a very good chance that current DVDs will be found at ridiculously low prices.

Hey, I'm not cheap...just frugal.

-Ross

10. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I'll buy new releases in HD-DVD, but was far as upgrading my collection, I think DVD is good enough for most of them. To me, it's all about the film, and most of these films aren't going to be improved by a better transfer. That being said, I'm usually the first in line to get a reissue of a previous DVD if it has better picture quality, so you never know.

11. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I know from my experience with LD->DVD, that I will buy HD-DVDs irrespective of whether I have the DVD. It will always boil down to price, how much I like the movie, and how much money I have in my pocket at the time. [​IMG]

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I will upgrade every title, but over time --- selling my current DVDs on Ebay.

However, I will not buy HD-DVDs until they are priced at what I pay now for regular DVDs.

13. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

I would upgrade all of them because I am insane.

14. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

What do you think the prices will be on HD-DVD? That would really have an influence on how much I upgrade.

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I hope so. Because I expect the situation to be even worse than it is for laser disc. I've upgraded every ld to dvd that's been released, and I still have lds because the dvds haven't been released.

I think it'll be a long time before we see any hd-dvd, and a hell of a lot longer before I'll have to the opportunity to buy a hd-dvd (with actually improved picture quality) of The Thin Man, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Double Indemnity, Hopscotch, etc.). I'm sure the first wave of hd-dvd will include great looking versions of films I have no interest in such as Titanic, American Pie, Matrix Reloaded, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.

16. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I don't know if I will. I'll probably only upgrade my favorites, but would definitely not upgrade all of them. If it's not backwards compatible, I'd either stay with DVD as long as it was offered or get a HD-DVD player and start collecting that way while still using my old player and movies too.

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It's going to depend a lot on the price point. If HD-DVD is priced like DVD (i.e., dirt cheap), I'll have trouble resisting in replacing a lot of stuff, which will be a(nother) fortune all told. [​IMG] But if it's priced like LD, then I'll reserve it for things that a) are visual extravaganzas like 2001 and Lawrence of Arabia or b) had crappy transfers on DVD in the first place--e.g., Cabaret.

I have to say that I've not been too impressed with the HDTV I've seen thus far, but I suppose I could be convinced otherwise.

18. David Meek

David Meek Extra

It depends on the price. Of the 400+ DVD titles I have right now, I only have a few that I paid over $19.99 (US). At that same price point, I'll probably replace at least half in the first couple of years with the rest phased out over a bit longer period.

However (you knew that was coming, right?), that plan is contingent on this:

We're getting (hopefully) into a "diminishing returns" scenario here. If HD-DVD puts out a PQ/SQ that is master-level, then there shouldn't be another format coming along shortly that gives the home-theater enthusiast another level to upgrade to that is past HD-DVD, correct? In that case, I'll happily put my money into HD-DVD and not worry 'bout what's going to be available 3 years later.

19. Dean_Jonesy

Dean_Jonesy Agent

I've thought about this somewhat. I am very pleased with the PQ and sound of DVD and all the special features it offers. HD-DVD will have to be a MAJOR improvement and take over like DVD took over VHS for me to start investing in it. I didn't buy many VHS titles because I hated the format. I love the DVD format though and don't forsee me upgrading when HD-DVD comes along.

20. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

At first I thought I never would. But then I realized something as I remember how many VHS tapes I have gotten rid of. That I would replace probably all of them.

Definately would start with all my MAJOR titles. LOTR, matrix, things like that. And as new movie came out I would buy them all in HD.

So then it would come down to replacing all my others. I'd say I would replace a lot of them. They will not all come out at the very beginning of the release of HD, but they would slowly over the next few years. And as they came out some of them I would buy that I really want, and others I could probably do without (because there are dvd's now that I can do without).

And just over time all my DVDs would be gone. It's not a process that would happen fast, look how many years it took to get rid of all the VHS, same would happen with DVD. It took me a few years to get where I am today, at the beginning of my DVD buying there were always older movies I wanted but wouldn't buy at that time. I wouldn't go out and splurge 1000's of dollars on DVDs at the release, I would just spend the usual amount per month and over time it would work out.

Like others have said, the price is huge. When players are