What's new

How Much of The ORIGINAL Sesame Street (1969-1975) is Still Known to Exist? (Entire Shows?) (1 Viewer)

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

As an avid fan of Children's Television growing up in the 60's-70's I grew up with the classic versions of Sesame Street that defined the greatness of children's TV. (Anything Pre-Elmo!) My question is how many of the original seasons or episodes from this era are still known to exist? Did PBS/Children's Television Workshop destroy full episodes, which was customary at the time between the 1950's-late 70's because at that time, people did not realize the value of preserving a TV show?

Many classic skits survived and I am aware that there is at least one (or is it two? Best of Sesame Street DVD box sets.) However, skits are missing or composited. Music rights for some songs could not be secured. How much remains and how much is gone from these first six years?

Jack

samuelRo

Auditioning
I believe that most, if not all, of the original episodes are intact. There are two DVD volumes out right now: Volume 1 covers years 1969-1974, and Volume 2 covers years 1974-1979. Each set contains three DVDs containing five episodes (each season's premiere) and dozens of extra clips. They are also supposedly releasing a 40th Anniversary DVD set sometime around November 2009 to coincide with Sesame Street's 40 Year Anniversary.

And I so wish Sesame Workshop would release more episodes on DVD. The show that they call "Sesame Street" today is a vastly inferior show to the one that existed in the 70s and 80s.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, but those old shows are now evil, godless things that are meant for the collector only, not today's modern children! If a child of today were to see those old Sesame Street episodes, the child may burst into flames, have children out of wedlock, or become a member of the political party you don't like!

But seriously... I really didn't like that "warning" on the second DVD set about the episodes being for collectors only, and how they may not be suitable for the children of today's needs. I mean, most of us grew up on those shows, and we came out okay! Honestly, the old Sesame Street seemed like a "smarter" show than today's dumbed down, "cookies are a sometimes food" Elmo show.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
being a first gen Sesame St kid, I can assure you that no 21st century mom would want their kid to end up as me. I will eat all the cookies at a party

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
It's sad how "Sesame Street" has de-evolved and is targeted to an even young viewer than it was intended to in 1969.

Elmo should be the poster-muppet for Rittilan!
Edited by DeWilson - 7/7/2009 at 08:23 am GMT

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good news about another DVD release. Old School Vol 2 will be on my Christmas list along with the new one. I'll get every Old School release they put out.

Now, what about Mr. Rogers for us oldies?

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Yeah I'm a original Sesame Street kid too and I would like to thank the people who felt there was need for a warning like that

I'll buy any pre-Elmo sets too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks